Golfers Thread

Gaz

Are all the Scots on the main tour going to retain their cards?
I think there are 6 or 7 pretty much guaranteed their spot for next season already. Johnston was well down the order of merit so this result today is a big boost for him. There are also a couple looking likely to come up from the Challenge Tour.

I see Paul Lawrie has won the Scottish senior open today as well.

I think there are 6 or 7 pretty much guaranteed their spot for next season already. Johnston was well down the order of merit so this result today is a big boost for him. There are also a couple looking likely to come up from the Challenge Tour.

I had a look at the Rankings there but with all the exceptions for certain players I wasn’t quite sure who is safe or not. A player I like Lee Slattery seems like he is on the outside looking in. Again I could be wrong tho

I had a look at the Rankings there but with all the exceptions for certain players I wasn’t quite sure who is safe or not. A player I like Lee Slattery seems like he is on the outside looking in. Again I could be wrong tho

Rankings still to be updated after today but Johnston was 143rd beforehand, should lift him a good bit but I think he will still be outside the top 110.

Edit to add: he got 61 race to Dubai points, that should lift him up to the low 120s in the rankings. Still need a some good finishes but there are still plenty of tourneys left.

Rankings still to be updated after today but Johnston was 143rd beforehand, should lift him a good bit but I think he will still be outside the top 110. 
Edit to add: he got 61 race to Dubai points, that should lift him up to the low 120s in the rankings. Still need a some good finishes but there are still plenty of tourneys left.

Is a it points now and not prize money?

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Looks like Johnston  is 143 in the rankings.

Race to Dubai

Calum Hill was T7th and Connor Syme T10th at the inaugural ISPS Handa World Invitational at Galgorm Castle.

Hill still leads the rankings, with Syme 6th and 24k points clear of 16th, with the top 15 getting their card for the full European Tour.

So this is the starting scores for the Tour Championship next week based on the top 30 positions in the FedEx rankings. Points no longer matter, whoever wins next week not only wins the Tour Championship, they also pocket the $15 million FedEx prize.

They have tweaked it several times over the years but from the spectators point if view this will be the easiest to follow. It also avoids the situation they had the year that Vijay Singh won the FedEx, where all he had to do was make it round the course 4 times and he was guaranteed to win. He had lifted the trophy and fucked off home with the cheque while most of the players were still on the course.IMG_20190819_001011.jpeg

So this is the starting scores for the Tour Championship next week based on the top 30 positions in the FedEx rankings. Points no longer matter, whoever wins next week not only wins the Tour Championship, they also pocket the $15 million FedEx prize.

They have tweaked it several times over the years but from the spectators point if view this will be the easiest to follow. It also avoids the situation they had the year that Vijay Singh won the FedEx, where all he had to do was make it round the course 4 times and he was guaranteed to win. He had lifted the trophy and fucked off home with the cheque while most of the players were still on the course.IMG_20190819_001011.thumb.jpeg.a7f4ed507a49664a81507a5a504ef757.jpeg
Nothing highlights the point about American courses being too easy better than this. 25 players under par and the tournament hasn't even begun....

Are those starting scores just for the FedEx Cup or for the Tour Championship tournament itself also? Or is it all one in the same? I've always found the FedEx Cup mighty confusing.
It's all one and the same this year, winner takes both prizes home. Means you can forget about who had what points this weekend, those are the starting scores as if they have played an imaginary first round.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/49398360
Looks like the European Tour are going to try and clamp down a bit on slow play next season. Reducing fields is a mistake though, it's hard enough for the lower ranked players to get a foothold on the tour as it is.
Aye, it's hard enough for guys to get enough starts, don't agree with that at all.

Saw a few tweets from US golfers not happy that the PGA are planning on moving the cut from 70 and ties to 65 and ties, meaning less guys win money every week.

7 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/49398360

Looks like the European Tour are going to try and clamp down a bit on slow play next season. Reducing fields is a mistake though, it's hard enough for the lower ranked players to get a foothold on the tour as it is.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Aye, it's hard enough for guys to get enough starts, don't agree with that at all.

Saw a few tweets from US golfers not happy that the PGA are planning on moving the cut from 70 and ties to 65 and ties, meaning less guys win money every week.

Good to see some action proposed on slow play.  Like others i don't agree at all on reducing field sizes.

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Camperdown Golf course in Dundee to close, I would fear that at least some of Glasgow's municipal courses will go the same way soon.

A real disappointment this. Camperdown has one of the best municipal layouts in Scotland. It's far better than neighbouring Downfield. DCC are concentrating their funding on Caird Park which is far busier (it's right in the middle of 3-4 schemes) but a far inferior layout. 

I hope someone takes Camperdown over, it'd be a crying shame if it were to effectively disappear.