Golfers Thread

Gaz

Great opening round for Russell Knox in the Northern trust. A 5 under 66 has him at tied 9th and projected 66th in FedEx rankings with top 70 going forward to next event. 
Early days though, still 3 rounds to go.
Yep, good start. Not so good for Martin Laird though, although even par still gives him a good chance of making the weekend. Needs a low one tomorrow though.

I see Woods had another bad round and is apparently still struggling with his back. Considering the new tighter playing schedule for the majors and the fedex Cup, I wouldn't be surprised if he calls it a day within the next couple of years.

He's withdrawn, could well be his season over. He's currently 28th in the FedEx and if he doesn't play next week he will almost certainly slip out of the top 30 for the Tour Championship the weekend after. His statement does say he is "hopeful" of playing next week.

Am I missing some context to that or was it just banter?

Guessing it's a wee dig about the story with Kuchar and his Mexican caddy at the start of the year.

Kuchar has had a pretty quick fall from "He seems a decent guy" to "He's an absolute dick"
His worst for me was trying to get a free drop when a drive had come to rest in a pitch mark, which he admitted wasn't his so his ball wasn't embedded, so there was no scope for him to get any sort of relief. His playing partners that day looked embarrassed that he was even having the conversation with the rules official.

Woods withdraws

I see Woods had another bad round and is apparently still struggling with his back. Considering the new tighter playing schedule for the majors and the fedex Cup, I wouldn't be surprised if he calls it a day within the next couple of years.

19 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Great opening round for Russell Knox in the Northern trust. A 5 under 66 has him at tied 9th and projected 66th in FedEx rankings with top 70 going forward to next event. 

Early days though, still 3 rounds to go.

19 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Yep, good start. Not so good for Martin Laird though, although even par still gives him a good chance of making the weekend. Needs a low one tomorrow though.

Disastrous 2nd round of 80 for Knox which included two quadruple bogey 8s. Ouch.  He "comfortably" misses the cut.

Laird bogeyed his last hole to finish on 1 under which is currently tied 66th. Cut is currently at this number but I suspect may well go to 2 under. 

Disastrous 2nd round of 80 for Knox which included two quadruple bogey 8s. Ouch.  He "comfortably" misses the cut.

Laird bogeyed his last hole to finish on 1 under which is currently tied 66th. Cut is currently at this number but I suspect may well go to 2 under. 

It's now T68th, stopped for the moment due to a lightning threat. Players have been held in position though so they must be hopeful it's going to pass quickly. Can't see the cut staying at -1 tbh.

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

He battled his way below the cut line earlier. Then double bogeyed the last to miss out. emoji23.png

Laird still clinging on at -1.

Looking good for Laird in terms of cut. Currently T67 with very few players still to finish. He'll need a fantastic weekend to make the next stage. 

Poor 3rd round for Laird with a 4 over 75. That's him done in terms of progressing to next FedEx event.  That said he did well to keep his card with some decent recent displays.

Good win for Calum Hill in this week's Challenge Tour event in Denmark

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Poor 3rd round for Laird with a 4 over 75. That's him done in terms of progressing to next FedEx event.  That siad he did well to keep his card with some decent recent displays.
Good win for Calum Hill in this week's Challenge Tour event in Denmark
Lifts Hill up to second in the rankings and he is looking very good for the top 15 finish needed to get his full tour card next year. Connor Syme still 7th.

Next week's tourney in Northern Ireland is a mixed event, Niall Horan's Modest! Golf company is behind it.