Golfers Thread

Gaz

Lawrie, Knox, MacIntyre, Syme and the guy who won the silver medal last year and whose name escapes me for the moment

Sam Locke. He's turned pro since though and qualified with Syme at the Fairmont St. Andrews qualifier.

Laird has had a few good rounds this season but not really maintained it over the 4 days. He normally comes over to play the Scottish Open but with his Tour spot under threat he's obviously decided to focus on that.

Hopefully Hill can do well this weekend, he's not going that well on the Challenge Tour for now so a decent finish here could be a career changer. Grant Forrest is another who could secure his card with a half decent finish this weekend.
Hill hit a level par 71 today, which saw him go from T11th to T38th, with Scott Jamieson on the same mark after a 69.

Lawrie, Knox, MacIntyre, Syme and the guy who won the silver medal last year and whose name escapes me for the moment
Just having a look at the list and it is a bit worrying that we only have 3 automatic qualifiers, and one of them is a past winner. Scotland seems to have been left behind in the last 30 years, in 1987 there were 4 Scots in the 12 man Ryder Cup team, we have had only half that in the last 5 teams combined.

Scott Jamieson hit a 65 to end up -16, currently T6th, while Hill hit 66 to end up on -15th and T10th at the moment. Leaders have onky just started though so they will probably slip down the board a bit, but still some decent money for them this week.

Scott Jamieson hit a 65 to end up -16, currently T6th, while Hill hit 66 to end up on -15th and T10th at the moment. Leaders have onky just started though so they will probably slip down the board a bit, but still some decent money for them this week.

Good shooting. Have to be top 10 to have a chance of Open spot and Jamison won’t make that. Good money for both though which is great

Good shooting. Have to be top 10 to have a chance of Open spot and Jamison won’t make that. Good money for both though which is great
I'm positive I watched Jamieson par the last for -16, but the scoreboard is now showing him as -15. Both tied 10th.

Squeezed in a quick round at Silverknowes over the weekend and it was a horror show. Hooked drives and sliced irons really had me cursing and in the end I cut the round short as I really wasn't enjoying it.

Strangley, when I looked back at my score compared to the last round I played there I was somehow one shot better off. Strange that I could be hitting the ball so poorly and hating life but somehow still have a better score than a round where I was hitting it well and enjoying playing.

Playoff in progress at the Renaissance just now between Weisberger and Hebert. Hebert already has an Open spot sewn up along with Andrew Johnston and Italy's Nino Bertassio.

Hill and Jamieson ended up Tied 26th, while Richie Ramsay earned a much needed few bob finishing T34th.

Playoff in progress at the Renaissance just now between Weisberger and Hebert. Hebert already has an Open spot sewn up along with Andrew Johnston and Italy's Nino Bertassio.

Hill and Jamieson ended up Tied 26th, while Richie Ramsay earned a much needed few bob finishing T34th.

No Martin Kaymer at the Open next week then

Nope, he made a decent fist of it though, ended up 3 shots away from 4th which would have got him in. He is about 3rd reserve though so still has a slim chance of taking part.

17 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Jamieson and Grant Forrest have virtually secured their cards for next season with the cash they have picked up over the last couple of weeks, so along with David Law, David Drysdale, Bob MacIntyre and Stephen Gallacher we have 6 Scottish golfers with their cards already in the bag for next season which is a significant improvement on this time last year. Richie Ramsay is probably just one decent finish away from securing his as well.

19 hours ago, peasy23 said:
19 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Nope, he made a decent fist of it though, ended up 3 shots away from 4th which would have got him in. He is about 3rd reserve though so still has a slim chance of taking part.

Up to first reserve now after Charles Howell III withdraws. 

The bit where Sky really piss all over the BBC is in the lead up to the tourney. Their Chronicles of a Champion Golfer series is phenomenal. Two of the latest batch are Johnny Miller and Tony Jacklin, watched both earlier today. I'm just too young to remember both playing, Miller was just the annoying c**t on the US tv coverage, while Jacklin was the guy who helped turn the Ryder Cup into a proper contest.

Must admit to having a new found bit of respect for Miller and what he came through to make it as a pro. His record from 1973-76 is remarkable, including 2 major wins and winning the first 3 tourneys on the 74 PGA Tour.

The bit where Sky really piss all over the BBC is in the lead up to the tourney. Their Chronicles of a Champion Golfer series is phenomenal. Two of the latest batch are Johnny Miller and Tony Jacklin, watched both earlier today. I'm just too young to remember both playing, Miller was just the annoying c**t on the US tv coverage, while Jacklin was the guy who helped turn the Ryder Cup into a proper contest.

Must admit to having a new found bit of respect for Miller and what he came through to make it as a pro. His record from 1973-76 is remarkable, including 2 major wins and winning the first 3 tourneys on the 74 PGA Tour.

Not seen the Johnny Miller one. Still not sure I could see beyond Johnny Miller the commentator though.

Don't know if they're showing them this year but in the last couple of years I've quite enjoyed the official films of some of the Opens of yesteryear especially some of the ones from the 80s which form my earliest memories of watching golf.

Not seen the Johnny Miller one. Still not sure I could see beyond Johnny Miller the commentator though.

Don't know if they're showing them this year but in the last couple of years I've quite enjoyed the official films of some of the Opens of yesteryear especially some of the ones from the 80s which form my earliest memories of watching golf.

There are quite a few on tomorrow, including Seve 79 and 84, Watson 82 and Lyle in 85.