Golfers Thread

Gaz

We (off PnB) debated the point about Sandy at the start - thinking it started on somebody taking the piss as he was wearing braces on Day 1(?).
Was all very sneery, much like half the contributions above. I’m not a fan, maybe too young to have seen him at his best, but I came to the conclusion he’s earned the right to be there and he’s absolutely not disgracing himself. 60-odds year old and playing +6 round Augusta off the big boys back tees? 
Until he’s consistently flat last at the end of Day 2, he’s absolutely entitled to turn up and give it a go. 
And as for the ‘I play off +3, I know what I’m talking about and you don’t’ chat. f**k off and work half as hard on your social skills as you clearly have on your golf. I’ll give you the benefit that drink had probably been taken.
Was just looking at his stats. He was 15-20 yards shorter off the tee than the field average, but hit 79% of fairways compared to the field's 70%. Where he fell down was in GIR, only hitting 50% of them. He had one double bogey over the two days, and that was on 16 on Thursday after finding water off the tee. He also only had 1 three putt over his two rounds. That's bloody good golf imo.

Another Jekyll & Hyde day for me today at St Andrews Jubilee. Through front 9 in 41, then back 9 in 53 with a couple of 7s and an 8. 
Enjoyable course. Playing Longniddry on Sunday to tick another course off the list.
Played there on wed in the pissing rain and high winds, decent course but weather was a slog, broke my brolly aswel 43 out 49 in, played the glen on monday cracking course 45 out 40 in I'll be back on that course, and then eyemouth yesterday 43 out 51 in weather again was a slog,

1 hour ago, cas79 said:
13 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:
Another Jekyll & Hyde day for me today at St Andrews Jubilee. Through front 9 in 41, then back 9 in 53 with a couple of 7s and an 8. 
Enjoyable course. Playing Longniddry on Sunday to tick another course off the list.

Played there on wed in the pissing rain and high winds, decent course but weather was a slog, broke my brolly aswel 43 out 49 in, played the glen on monday cracking course 45 out 40 in I'll be back on that course, and then eyemouth yesterday 43 out 51 in weather again was a slog,

I’ve got The Glen booked for end of the month as well. Looks a belter and very reasonably priced.

I’ve got The Glen booked for end of the month as well. Looks a belter and very reasonably priced.
Nice one you will enjoy it I'm sure, the par 3 13th is a we cracker bind shot around 120y (keep it left) think I'm going to try barrassie next, would love to play western Gail's at some point to do the 4 courses there

Seems likely, just waiting on confirmation from Scottish golf. Clubhouses will be closed again.

I’m playing Edzell on Saturday which is also in Angus so that should be fine. But also due to play St Mikes in Fife (where I’m a member) on Sunday. Guess that won’t be happening

13 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I’m playing Edzell on Saturday which is also in Angus so that should be fine. But also due to play St Mikes in Fife (where I’m a member) on Sunday. Guess that won’t be happening

As far as I understand you’ll still be allowed to travel to play golf? Although if you live in Angus you probably can’t travel to Fife but in Dundee you could, unclear.  From the Scot gov website:

• local outdoor informal exercise such as walking, cycling, golf, or running (in groups of up to 6 people from no more than 2 households) that starts and finishes at the same place  
  • travel locally (within around 5 miles of your local authority area) to reach a place to take exercise outdoors

21 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It's a fun course to play. The 13th is one of my all time favourite holes.

2303246966_d74d20c670_b.thumb.jpg.6a9337939676784161d3526e8238d079.jpg.ea7f84214ea781d1a6e7b539f2e754bf.jpg

As far as I understand you’ll still be allowed to travel to play golf? Although if you live in Angus you probably can’t travel to Fife but in Dundee you could, unclear.  From the Scot gov website:
  • local outdoor informal exercise such as walking, cycling, golf, or running (in groups of up to 6 people from no more than 2 households) that starts and finishes at the same place  
  • travel locally (within around 5 miles of your local authority area) to reach a place to take exercise outdoors

Iv cancelled my round and will try pick something up for Sunday in Angus, or god forbid I might spend time with the wife and kids instead! Fingers crossed we are put back into tier 2 next week. I don’t think restrictions apply to them?

Need some advice, I’ve preferred new irons now I need wedges, it’s a toss up between SM8 or MG2 wondering if anyone has these or has any recommendations?

I’ve previously had an older version of the Vokey at 58 degrees and currently Callaway Mack Daddy 4 at 50 and 56 degrees. Both makes decent. Personal preference for the Callaway.
Not sure if it’ll help but here’s a review of the most recent models.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/equipment/best/wedges/

I’ve previously had an older version of the Vokey at 58 degrees and currently Callaway Mack Daddy 4 at 50 and 56 degrees. Both makes decent. Personal preference for the Callaway.
Not sure if it’ll help but here’s a review of the most recent models.

https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/equipment/best/wedges/

I like the SM8 black ones but reckon they wouldn’t age well!! I was going to get the tiger wedges in his specs but only do them in 2 lofts! I’m new to golf so wedges quite confuse me with the degrees!

15 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Need some advice, I’ve preferred new irons now I need wedges, it’s a toss up between SM8 or MG2 wondering if anyone has these or has any recommendations?

Not SM8s but I have SM7s in 52 and 58 and love them, especially the 52.

I'd recommend getting a fitting (lots of places offer this free if you purchase the clubs which it sounds like you intend on doing) and they should let you try out different ones to see which you like best. A good fitter for wedges would also be able to advise you on grinds, of which most manufacturers offer a few, based on your contact with the ground and the kind of turf conditions you usually play. E.g. I have a grind on my 52 more suited to full shots with a square clubface but on my 58 I have a grind more suited to opening the club up for shots around the green and from bunkers and has a little more bounce.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, quickoverayard said:

I like the SM8 black ones but reckon they wouldn’t age well!! I was going to get the tiger wedges in his specs but only do them in 2 lofts! I’m new to golf so wedges quite confuse me with the degrees!

I've had black wedges before but my current ones are just regular chrome. The black ones will rust which is cool if you like that and I believe it generates a bit more spin. I decided against for my newest ones as I didn't like the rusty look and already have an issue with generating too much spin so really didn't need any more.