Golfers Thread

Gaz

13 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Did you get the option to rebook when the lockdown restrictions are lifted? Or just a refund?

They just said they’ve refunded, but did say to rebook for next year so might just try for March. March is a strange month for golf where you could get a glorious day, or an absolutely miserable one (or even cancelled due to snow).

Dornoch cancelled me today. Salty tears everywhere.

Nightmare. Not to rub it in or anything, but I’m playing Royal Dornoch for £13 tomorrow (reciprocal between local clubs), and just finished 18 round Golspie with the old boy. Quite simply one of the most underrated courses in the Country:

IMG_6251.jpg
IMG_6252.jpg
IMG_6253.jpg
IMG_6257.jpg

31 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Nightmare. Not to rub it in or anything, but I’m playing Royal Dornoch for £13 tomorrow (reciprocal between local clubs), and just finished 18 round Golspie with the old boy. Quite simply one of the most underrated courses in the Country:

IMG_6251.jpg
IMG_6252.jpg
IMG_6253.jpg
IMG_6257.jpg

You are a piece of shit.

That does look a cracking course!

Needless to say that was tremendous. Turns out it was £10 as opposed to £13, as the wee par 3 6th was closed for renovations, so got 17 done. Rain stayed off until the 15th, bucketed down until the 17th green then dried out again. Was round in 79 for the 17, level par for the last 6, so played pretty well (for me).
IMG_6272.jpg
IMG_6273.jpg
IMG_6276.jpg
IMG_6281.jpg
IMG_6285.jpgIMG_6287.jpg

In saying that, did a first (possibly for me, maybe ever) and managed to plug the ball in the face of the bunker off my tee shot. God bless preferred lies in the winter [emoji23]
IMG_6288.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyable round.

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

Needless to say that was tremendous. Turns out it was £10 as opposed to £13, as the wee par 3 6th was closed for renovations, so got 17 done. Rain stayed off until the 15th, bucketed down until the 17th green then dried out again. Was round in 79 for the 17, level par for the last 6, so played pretty well (for me).
IMG_6272.jpg
IMG_6273.jpg
IMG_6276.jpg
IMG_6281.jpg
IMG_6285.jpgIMG_6287.jpg

In saying that, did a first (possibly for me, maybe ever) and managed to plug the ball in the face of the bunker off my tee shot. God bless preferred lies in the winter emoji23.png
IMG_6288.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyable round.

Dick.

Obviously hard to properly judge when a hole down from normal and in winter, but would you say it lives up to the billing? 12th best course in the world going by Top 100.

My workmate stays in Springburn, and is a member at Campsie GC in Lennoxtown. They sent out an email yesterday saying that only those members who live in East Dunbartonshire can play for the next 3 weeks. My own club is sticking with the 5 mile advice as anybody within 5 miles will be in a tier 4 council area. How's everybody else's club playing it?

My workmate stays in Springburn, and is a member at Campsie GC in Lennoxtown. They sent out an email yesterday saying that only those members who live in East Dunbartonshire can play for the next 3 weeks. My own club is sticking with the 5 mile advice as anybody within 5 miles will be in a tier 4 council area. How's everybody else's club playing it?

Were the same as yours just now , my away course has issued a stay away order outside the 5 miles too, I think that will be the case for most clubs

Were the same as yours just now , my away course has issued a stay away order outside the 5 miles too, I think that will be the case for most clubs
To say my mate is a bit miffed is an understatement. He lives about 9 miles from the club, and he knows a lot of other guys who will be travelling a good bit further than that to play.

Dick.
Obviously hard to properly judge when a hole down from normal and in winter, but would you say it lives up to the billing? 12th best course in the world going by Top 100.

100%, it’s an utterly phenomenal course. Even in the winter the greens and fairways are in excellent condition, but if you can play it in spring / summer they are just absolutely impeccable. The rough is playable also so it’s a fair course, and the greens are well protected with elevation and bunkers without being unscoreable. A brilliant lay out in brilliant condition.

I’ve played it a number of times over the years (and always for less than £15 either with reciprocal or getting signed on by a mate) as I’m lucky enough to have grown up here and come up fairly regularly to visit the folks. Within 15 miles of each other we’ve got three of the best courses in the country / three of the best links courses on the planet (Brora, Golspie, Dornoch), but Royal Dornoch is rightly a level above the other two. I wax lyrical about them all the time, but they genuinely are all that good. Would recommend a long golfing weekend up here to everyone.

To say my mate is a bit miffed is an understatement. He lives about 9 miles from the club, and he knows a lot of other guys who will be travelling a good bit further than that to play.
It's all up in the air just now with different rules depending were you are

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

100%, it’s an utterly phenomenal course. Even in the winter the greens and fairways are in excellent condition, but if you can play it in spring / summer they are just absolutely impeccable. The rough is playable also so it’s a fair course, and the greens are well protected with elevation and bunkers without being unscoreable. A brilliant lay out in brilliant condition.

I’ve played it a number of times over the years (and always for less than £15 either with reciprocal or getting signed on by a mate) as I’m lucky enough to have grown up here and come up fairly regularly to visit the folks. Within 15 miles of each other we’ve got three of the best courses in the country / three of the best links courses on the planet (Brora, Golspie, Dornoch), but Royal Dornoch is rightly a level above the other two. I wax lyrical about them all the time, but they genuinely are all that good. Would recommend a long golfing weekend up here to everyone.

There are so many top courses up there. Nairn, Castle Stuart, Moray Old etc. Similar to the golf coast east of Edinburgh where you could stay for a week playing 36 holes a day and still miss out some good courses.

About a year ago I managed to get my first par round on my local Auckland course.
Today I got my first sub par round. [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]IMG_1606190721.030290.thumb.jpg.e935cc2f80cd6c761e8cf7e5ab76575f.jpg

Alright it was only a short 9-holer, but what the hell.

Great stuff. Karen needs to up her game though. Can’t have her dragging you down to her level [emoji6][emoji41]

What is the P&B opinion on winter greens?

Due to play a round at a new course on Monday, and have just looked and it says 8 winter greens in play now, and it’s only November. That doesn’t seem great to me, and I’m questioning paying the green fee for what feels like half a course.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Due to play a round at a new course on Monday, and have just looked and it says 8 winter greens in play now, and it’s only November. That doesn’t seem great to me, and I’m questioning paying the green fee for what feels like half a course.

Part of that will be down to the amount of rain recently. Worth asking the pro how often they had the full greens on all 18 last winter

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Part of that will be down to the amount of rain recently. Worth asking the pro how often they had the full greens on all 18 last winter

Yeah I think it’ll be entirely down to that tbh. Still feel like paying the full green fee (for this time of year) when down 8 greens seems a bit of a stretch.

A necessary evil on inland courses, I certainly don't rush out to play during the winter when I know there are always going to be quite a few. Some down to the overnight weather, others due to winter maintenance work in progress. At least now we get notice in the morning via Twitter as to what is in play. I'm quite happy to let the greenstaff take the lead as our greens have been superb the last few summers, with the right amount of rest in the winter playing a big part in that.

A necessary evil on inland courses, I certainly don't rush out to play during the winter when I know there are always going to be quite a few. Some down to the overnight weather, others due to winter maintenance work in progress. At least now we get notice in the morning via Twitter as to what is in play. I'm quite happy to let the greenstaff take the lead as our greens have been superb the last few summers, with the right amount of rest in the winter playing a big part in that.

Yep that’s the key point for me. I hate winter greens and tend not to play if they are being used but no doubt they are a necessary evil. I’m fortunate that I play at a course where the proper greens are in use the majority of the time.