Golfers Thread

Gaz

Played my first round singles tie in the Kirky Seniors matchplay a week or so ago. Was quite eventful. We finished all square after an eventful 18, and had agreed in advance that any tie would be replayed. We go out again a few days later. I’m one down coming off the 16th, the last two holes are both Par 4s. He tees off on 17, massively off the heel. His drive shoots wildly left, smacks straight off a tree and bounces straight back into the middle of the fairway, but only fifty yards off the tee. I hit a good drive down the left side. He duffs his second, but tops it and it goes straight on for about 100 yards. I stick a 6 iron to about 25 feet, leaving an uphill big-breaking left to right putt. His third is short, rolls back down the hill leaving him about thirty-five feet away, off the green still. He putts it, and it rattles the pin and drops in like a stone. In for a highly unlikely 4. I manage to get down in two for the half (inwardly scunnered, but outwardly saying ‘great putt from there, some 4 that)

I’m still one down, and we both hit good drives down 18. He slices his second off to the right of the green. Has left himself no shot. A big bunker between him and the pin, and a green sloping away from him. I hit the best 7 iron I could have hit, stick it three feet past the pin, leaving a tricky three footer though. Fast and downhill. He takes a deep breath, opens the face of a sand iron, and plays a great floater over the bunker, but zero chance of it stopping. It flies down the slope and off the other side of the green. He’s now got another thirty footer or so, again from off the green. Once more, he gets the putter out, it rattles the pin, and drops in like a stone - again. Now my tricky three footer is to keep the tie alive. Inwardly I’m now thinking ‘the actual fcuk sake’… I can it right in the middle, nerves of steel, all square again.

We head back down the first in sudden death. I win it on the fourth sudden death hole, in darkness nearly, as he misses a two-footer for a half in four.

Inwardly I’m now thinking ‘Fcuking yassssss!’. Nerves shot to bits - in the Kirky Seniors? 🙃

Edited by pozbaird

On 26/04/2024 at 16:58, funky_nomad said:

72 holes coming up over the next 3 days - Ladybank & Tulliallan tomorrow, Drumoig on Sunday and Piperdam on Monday.

I'm going to be a gibbering mess on Tuesday, in all probability.

Turns out it's not me that's a gibbering mess today, it's my golf. Let's just say that my 18 stableford points around Drumoig wasn't my worst round of the weekend and leave it there...

Maybe the quality of my golf is making me grumpy, but I have 2 major gripes after the weekend.

1 - the new "improved" WHS meant that my 5.1 Handicap Index gave me a playing handicap of 8 at Ladybank on Saturday and 4 at Drumoig on Sunday. The courses played differed by about 200 yards in total and both had an old-school Standard Scratch of 72 (one is par 71, the other par 73). I'm a member at Ladybank and have played Drumoig more times than I can remember, and there's no way Drumoig is 4 shots easier. I know the new system is meant to iron out a few of the previous issues in terms of perceived imbalances but a 4-shot difference seems particularly ludicrous.

2 - WTF has happened to Piperdam? I last played it about 20 years ago, and considered it a nice we course, decent layout around the lake and some good use of water features (in particular the opening tee shot). Played it again yesterday, and it's an absolute cowp. The bunkers were a disgrace - no rakes at any of them (probably because there was next to no sand in there), it looks as if they had started work on refurbishing them and just stopped a couple of years ago; the teeing areas were almost as bad - uneven, poorly conditioned and permanent mats at a few par fours; and the whole course was just in a really, really shabby state. It wouldn't have been so bad if the Starter had mentioned any of the above (eg "sorry lads, the winter conditions have really set us back and the greenkeepers are trying their best, but haven't been able to source any white paint at B&Q - better just treat all the bunkers as GUR"), but he just took our money and kept schtum. In summary, avoid.

28 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Turns out it's not me that's a gibbering mess today, it's my golf. Let's just say that my 18 stableford points around Drumoig wasn't my worst round of the weekend and leave it there...

Maybe the quality of my golf is making me grumpy, but I have 2 major gripes after the weekend.

1 - the new "improved" WHS meant that my 5.1 Handicap Index gave me a playing handicap of 8 at Ladybank on Saturday and 4 at Drumoig on Sunday. The courses played differed by about 200 yards in total and both had an old-school Standard Scratch of 72 (one is par 71, the other par 73). I'm a member at Ladybank and have played Drumoig more times than I can remember, and there's no way Drumoig is 4 shots easier. I know the new system is meant to iron out a few of the previous issues in terms of perceived imbalances but a 4-shot difference seems particularly ludicrous.

2 - WTF has happened to Piperdam? I last played it about 20 years ago, and considered it a nice we course, decent layout around the lake and some good use of water features (in particular the opening tee shot). Played it again yesterday, and it's an absolute cowp. The bunkers were a disgrace - no rakes at any of them (probably because there was next to no sand in there), it looks as if they had started work on refurbishing them and just stopped a couple of years ago; the teeing areas were almost as bad - uneven, poorly conditioned and permanent mats at a few par fours; and the whole course was just in a really, really shabby state. It wouldn't have been so bad if the Starter had mentioned any of the above (eg "sorry lads, the winter conditions have really set us back and the greenkeepers are trying their best, but haven't been able to source any white paint at B&Q - better just treat all the bunkers as GUR"), but he just took our money and kept schtum. In summary, avoid.

The greens still got dicks on them? 

Edit - At Piperdam I mean 

Edited by lichtie23

53 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

The greens still got dicks on them? 

Edit - At Piperdam I mean 

Only when I was putting... 

A couple of greens had some signs of historic vandalism, but overall they were fine. It was everything else that was wrong with the place. It reminded me of playing a couple of Glasgow municipal courses as a kid, but surrounded by expensive houses instead of deprivation. Weird.

2 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Only when I was putting... 

A couple of greens had some signs of historic vandalism, but overall they were fine. It was everything else that was wrong with the place. It reminded me of playing a couple of Glasgow municipal courses as a kid, but surrounded by expensive houses instead of deprivation. Weird.

It was like this in September last year 

IMG_1574.jpeg

2 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Blimey. Is that sand in the bunker??? 😲

Hahaha. There was a bunker in the par 3 over the water. 9th or 10th I think that was completely overgrown with grass/weeds. They had left a take in it tho which was a nice touch 

Bob and Laird in the pga this week Bob off 1429 and Laird 1907 our time on Thursday 

Played Drumoig a heap of times and took a couple of yanks on there,friends/work colleagues most memorable comment of that day when playing the hole by the pig farm was " this reminds me of home " 🤣 both from near Baton Rouge in Louisiana 

Edited by doulikefish

20 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

A rake and a GUR sign? Luxury...

The bunkers were absolutely fine at the end of last season (barring that one on the ninth) - but I have no idea what’s happened over winter. There was a suggestion that they were all GUR until end of April - hence no rakes - but I can’t find the official line on that now.

I think the winter has certainly fucked a lot up there and the vandalism to not only the greens but to a fairly massive chunk of the 6th fairway has taken a lot of fixing.

Email from the club yesterday to say that preferred lies on the fairway will remain in play until May 19th, meaning our Open on the 12th will be included.

Going by the last few years some serious thought has to be given to starting the season later, April seems to be getting more rain every year.

54 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Email from the club yesterday to say that preferred lies on the fairway will remain in play until May 19th, meaning our Open on the 12th will be included.

Going by the last few years some serious thought has to be given to starting the season later, April seems to be getting more rain every year.

We got an email saying preferred lies stopped today. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

The bunkers were absolutely fine at the end of last season (barring that one on the ninth) - but I have no idea what’s happened over winter. There was a suggestion that they were all GUR until end of April - hence no rakes - but I can’t find the official line on that now.

I think the winter has certainly fucked a lot up there and the vandalism to not only the greens but to a fairly massive chunk of the 6th fairway has taken a lot of fixing.

A couple of the fairway bunkers were roped off, but no signs/paint for anything else - it would've been the easiest thing in the world for the Starter to have tipped us the wink and expectations would've been managed.

It has to be said, though, that the place looked really scruffy across the board, with work started and nowhere near complete, and no signs of any activity - the works in and around the 9th green and on the 18th tee in particular were eyesores. A shame, as it's a decent layout, but I can't see our winter sweep outing going back after that.

1 hour ago, funky_nomad said:

A couple of the fairway bunkers were roped off, but no signs/paint for anything else - it would've been the easiest thing in the world for the Starter to have tipped us the wink and expectations would've been managed.

It has to be said, though, that the place looked really scruffy across the board, with work started and nowhere near complete, and no signs of any activity - the works in and around the 9th green and on the 18th tee in particular were eyesores. A shame, as it's a decent layout, but I can't see our winter sweep outing going back after that.

One of the big things they’ve done over the winter is work on the drainage at the back end of the course - that burn short of the 16th green is new and that’s made a world of difference across the last few holes.

Hoping they manage to tidy it up a bit over the coming weeks. For example, no idea what’s going on on the 18th tee box!