Golfers Thread

Gaz

Took up the game this year (joined a club in march) after years of thinking about it. I hit enough decent shots in a round to keep me interested but im very inconsistent (as you'd expect with a beginner I suppose). Not played that many full rounds yet but last week I scored 117 (89). My first goal is to complete a round with no 9s on the card, then no 8s etc.

How long from starting did it take the rest of you to get 'better'?

I would say whilst you are at this early stage, go out and get some lessons. A series of 3 - 5 lessons will help get the basics in position. I played a year, trying to self teach before I went and got lessons and I started shooting 10 shots less over night.

For a target, aim to break 110 and then 100 and so on. They are good milestones to aim for. Obviously cutting out 9's and 8's will help but 18 holes at 7 is still 126 strokes and an 8 on your card doesn't always mean a disaster round, many a golfer will put an 8 on his card every Saturday. Think about your round as a total.

Where are you playing your golf?

As above, get some lessons early.

Doing this will make sure that you have the basics right. By doing this, you'll avoid picking up bad habits, that will be much harder to get rid of a year or two down the line.

Really work on your short game and putting, you can save plenty strokes here even if you're hacking all the way up to the green.

I would say whilst you are at this early stage, go out and get some lessons. A series of 3 - 5 lessons will help get the basics in position. I played a year, trying to self teach before I went and got lessons and I started shooting 10 shots less over night.

For a target, aim to break 110 and then 100 and so on. They are good milestones to aim for. Obviously cutting out 9's and 8's will help but 18 holes at 7 is still 126 strokes and an 8 on your card doesn't always mean a disaster round, many a golfer will put an 8 on his card every Saturday. Think about your round as a total.

Where are you playing your golf?

As above, get some lessons early.

Doing this will make sure that you have the basics right. By doing this, you'll avoid picking up bad habits, that will be much harder to get rid of a year or two down the line.

Really work on your short game and putting, you can save plenty strokes here even if you're hacking all the way up to the green.

Cheers for the replies.

Im playing at the 'galloway' in dumfries (although I have also played at the 'county' and powfoot so far this year).

My mates have all played golf since they were boys (3 are off scratch, 1 is off 2 and another is off 5) so I am getting plenty of good tips off of them.

They all say I have a good swing and its just a case of playing more golf and getting more consistent. I am best from tee to green so I will definitely try more practice on the short stuff.

Cheers for the replies.

Im playing at the 'galloway' in dumfries (although I have also played at the 'county' and powfoot so far this year).

My mates have all played golf since they were boys (3 are off scratch, 1 is off 2 and another is off 5) so I am getting plenty of good tips off of them.

They all say I have a good swing and its just a case of playing more golf and getting more consistent. I am best from tee to green so I will definitely try more practice on the short stuff.

Drive for show, putt for dough!

I'm doing the MacMillan Longest Day Challenge this year 4 rounds in one day. 3 rounds at my local then a mad dash to Castle Stuart for the 4th round!

Anyone on here done it before? Any tips?

4 of us done it last year. Its not to bad, my recommendations are as follows

Eat a lot and regularly. I had a big breakfast which set me up but 2 guys didn't and started struggling by afternoon.

Try not to get annoyed by tired shots, by round three i played some really horrible golf

I found it quite difficult by the 4th round. Although it may have been the beers kicking in. We played 4 courses in one day so it was different everytime. Can imagine playing the same 3 might get quite repetitive. Have a laugh and enjoy it, you'll feel it for a few days afterwards thoughh

I've been spending a couple of hours once or twice a week up at our practice ground, chipping from within 50-60 yards and putting.

Feel it's paying off. Last weekend I shot 91 in a bounce game and last night I shot an 88*. Delighted with that! Unfortunately missing the medal today though and won't get in next week so got another couple of weeks to practice.

*I'm an idiot. On the 17th I marked my ball and lifted and rolled it a couple of yards to the side while I helped my mate look for his ball in the rough. Then when I came to play my ball I forgot to move it back to the marker :lol: As soon as it had left my putter I realised what a moron I'd been and got my mate to kick it back, then played again from the marked position as normal. Two-putted for a five but, of course, in a medal I'd have gotten a two-shot penalty. So it was really a 90 due to me being a tube :lol:

Club championship qualifiers today and next week and I put together the worst round of the season.

Really poor stuff. Spend a fair bit practising this week and was flushing some crackers at the range on Thursday but today I struggled to play two decent strokes back to back.

Will try and get out for the Monday medal, get back on the horse as they say.

I'll stick this in here as well as the quick question thread since it's about golf. Me and 9/10 others are going away for a golf day and overnight stay somewhere in Scotland in August. Quite a mix of abilities and ideally somewhere close by that's cheap to stay, anyone got any suggestions?

I'll stick this in here as well as the quick question thread since it's about golf. Me and 9/10 others are going away for a golf day and overnight stay somewhere in Scotland in August. Quite a mix of abilities and ideally somewhere close by that's cheap to stay, anyone got any suggestions?

Pitlochry. Not sure of price's etc but it's a fantastic course, can't recommend it enough and a good wee town for a night out to boot. Fair few pub's and eating place's. Everything you need for a braw golf trip.

Although I now just noticed that you are looking for somewhere close, which Pitlochry may not be.

Edited by Stevie Les

This is an ad posted on gumtree . Any good for £100?

Brand new set of dynaflite golf clubs with Memphis golf bag

Contains full set dynaflite cavity back irons 3-9, PW, SW - all unused

Set also includes brand new Arnold Palmer action plus 3 wood & brand new Oscar Jones putter

Assuming you're Ayrshire way given your username what about Arran? 7 courses to choose from.

Played in the Brechin open on Saturday and did ok. Shot 77, nett 71 (-1) but was 2 under through 6 so I feel like it should have been better. Magic 2 on the card though so that softens the blow!

Also played in the Forfar 36 hole open on Sunday. Terrible, Terrible stuff. Ended up carding nett 76 and 72. Anyone know if these cards will be sent back to my home course?

Pitlochry. Not sure of price's etc but it's a fantastic course, can't recommend it enough and a good wee town for a night out to boot. Fair few pub's and eating place's. Everything you need for a braw golf trip.

Although I now just noticed that you are looking for somewhere close, which Pitlochry may not be.

Cheers, I actually don't know why I put somewhere close because it's actually better going a bit further, so thanks for the idea!

Cheers, I actually don't know why I put somewhere close because it's actually better going a bit further, so thanks for the idea!

I second Arran, it's brilliant. Shiskine in particular is a quirky, beautiful course - Lamlash is a good challenge too.

Is there an 18 hole course on Arran though? Online seems to suggest the biggest is a 12 hole course which seems bizarre?

No its a 12 holer mate, I was there a couple of years ago.

Decent wee random course tho.