Darts...

Sideshow

Convincing 4-1 win for Ronnie Baxter over Denis Ovens. Ovens must be one of the most frustrating players on the circuit. Always a threat in the form tournaments and had even recently managed to pick up his form in front of the camera, however The Rocket is deservedly through.

Joining this session late. Not missed the end of a set though. I dunno if this is his first name and I can't be bothered finding out.

JELLE KLAASEN 4-0 JAN VAN DER RASSEL

Set One Score : 3-2

Set Two Score : 3-2

Set Three Score : 3-0

Set Four Score : 3-0

Over 40 Outshots

Klaasen : 41, 80, 93, 64, 88, 70, 81

JVDR : None.

Decent performance from Klaasen there, but he gave Van Der Rassel too many chances. He won't get away with that for the whole tournament.

RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD 4-1 WES NEWTON

Set One Score : 3-1

Set Two Score : I forget, and I forgot to update it when it finished. Ugh.

Set Three Score : 1-3

Set Four Score : 3-0

Set Five Score : 3-1

Over 40 Outshots

Barney : 47

Newton : 68, 122, 58, 102

Another decent performance from a Dutch player. Barney was woken up by Newton, and he came out and scored and finished well after that. He can put out anyone playing like that.

MERVYN KING 4-2 MARK WALSH

Set One Score : 1-3

Set Two Score : 3-1

Set Three Score : 2-3

Set Four Score : 3-1

Set Five Score : 3-2

Set Six Score : 3-1

Over 40 Outshots

King : 85, 100, 73, 92

Walsh : 101, 96, 46

That wasn't the best match ever. Mervyn King did manage to step things up a notch which got the blood pumping, but that's it.

NOTES

* Jelle Klaasen throwing 180s fof fun right now. Van Der Rassel is very steady with his tonnes though. Decent finishing from the older guy as well.

* Did anyone see Denis Ovens' pre match graphic ? He looked like the whole thing was beneath him. :lol:

* So much for the decent finishing. Apparently he missed six shots at a double.

* Darren Clarke didn't look unlike Shane Ritchie there.

* I think I can be much safer saying that Jelle Klaasen has been terrific on the doubles.

* Disgusting finishing from Van Der Rassel there.

* I'm beginning to wonder if JVDR is going to hit another double in this match.

* Newton's throwing action isn't exactly easy on the eye is it ? It's certainly nothing compared to the ease that Barney throws with.

* Shifty finishing from Barney, but Newton isn't much better, actually busting it.

* Loooooooooooove the FLIGHTCAM 1000~~~!!! shot of Barney's dart heading for the madhouse. The action of it is tremendous.

* CO STOMPE~~~!!!

* Strange to hear the crowd chanting England as I thought that the crowds always backed Barney.

* Some great finishing here from Newton, and he's beginning to get a grip of himself. Barneveld is asking for this though, as he really isn't playing anywhere close to his best.

* Barney is beginning to look a lot more settled as this match goes on. I think the set won by Newton has woken him up a bit. His doubles are still not perfect but they have improved quite a bit, as has his scoring.

* How unlucky was that from Newton ? Instead of getting a 180, he actually took away from his score. :lol:

* There's another band who are perfect walk-on fodder. Oasis. It's no match for Motorhead. Bow down to the king.

* Mark Walsh is just playing steady enough to get ahead of King here. He did the same in the first round and looked impressive as a result. This is not looking good for Mervyn King.

* Ridiculous darts at 60 from Walsh. He could have put some pressure on the King throw by at least keeping composure and didn't even do that.

* I wish I could say that this is a great match, but the only great thing about it is that it has been close. Fairly uninspiring stuff.

Edited by DomDom

Joining this session late. Not missed the end of a set though. I dunno if this is his first name and I can't be bothered finding out.

JELLE KLAASEN 1-0 JAN VAN DER RASSEL

Set One Score : 3-2

Set Two Score :

Set Three Score :

Set Four Score :

Over 40 Outshots

Klaasen : 41, 80

JVDR : None.

NOTES

* Jelle Klaasen throwing 180s fof fun right now. Van Der Rassel is very steady with his tonnes though. Decent finishing from the older guy as well.

He's Klaas :rolleyes:

* Newton's throwing action isn't exactly easy on the eye is it ? It's certainly nothing compared to the ease that Barney throws with.

very true. Klassens throwing action is very difficult to replicate, i throw fast, but i cant get anywhere near the twenty when doing his wee elbow flick. He is great to watch tho, remember him vs van der voort (possibly last years world champs) loved it :) MaGowan vs Priestly should be more of the same tomorrow :P

I didn't have Sky last year, so I missed the epic matches that took place at the Ally Pally.

Now I'm spoiled for darts, as we all are.

I've been looking for the match between Klaasen and Van Der Voort on streaming video sites but I can't find the whole thing. I wouldn't watch just highlights. Wouldn't do it justice.

very true. Klassens throwing action is very difficult to replicate, i throw fast, but i cant get anywhere near the twenty when doing his wee elbow flick. He is great to watch tho, remember him vs van der voort (possibly last years world champs) loved it :)MaGowan vs Priestly should be more of the same tomorrow :P

On a similar note, I always enjoyed the encounters between Priestley and Dennis Smith. In fact, I'm sure they've faced off at the Circus Tavern once or twice over the years as well. Takes about an hour to complete a set, but enjoyable all the same. :P

EDIT: Even at this stage, it's looking fairly academic in this match. Barney to win 4-0? Probably.

Edited by The Naitch

MaGowan and Priestly has some major potential, as both guys are very good throwers of a dart. It'll also be interesting to see how well Priestly plays when he is pushed, because if MaGowan plays like he did in the First Round, it won't be a simple 4-0 for Priestly.

On a similar note, I always enjoyed the encounters between Priestley and Dennis Smith. In fact, I'm sure they've faced off at the Circus Tavern once or twice over the years as well. Takes about an hour to complete a set, but enjoyable all the same. :P

EDIT: Even at this stage, it's looking fairly academic in this match. Barney to win 4-0? Probably.

this is only my third year of skys darts, i have not seen a smith preistly encounter, i only know the bdo stuff until i got sky. i shake at the thought of this now!

Lewis v Nicholson is first match tomorrow, wot a way to start the day!

this is only my third year of skys darts, i have not seen a smith preistly encounter, i only know the bdo stuff until i got sky. i shake at the thought of this now!

Lewis v Nicholson is first match tomorrow, wot a way to start the day!

I've been watching Sky darts since 2003, and a Priestley/Smith match truly is an event in itself.

As for the bit in bold, what a start indeed. Think I've mentioned previously here that Lewis is my pick to make it to the final so hopefully he makes light work of Nicholson. :P

EDIT: Wes is fighting back in this set, he might not be gone yet. His brother Dale is a handy player as well.

Edited by The Naitch

* Strange to hear the crowd chanting England as I thought that the crowds always backed Barney.

Most of the crowds do back Barney but it's becoming increasingly apparent that the crowds attending the Ally Pally aren't hardcore dart enthusiasts. Could have sworn I heard 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot..." as well tonight. <_<

EDIT: What bad luck there for Wes. Has the first two darts in the T20 and then throws the last dart which not only bounces out, but takes the 2nd dart thrown with it and leaves him with a total score for that throw of 60.

Edited by The Naitch

For tonight I'm going with;

Klaasen 4-0 or 4-1

Barneveld 4-0 or 4-1

King 4-1 or 4-2

Looking good so far, although the next match is the dodgiest selection.

Already got my money back, waiting on this last one for a few hundred quid.

I'd be surprised if Walsh gets bowled over so easily by King.

Same here, but I think if the real King turns up then he should win. King had a slightly higher average in his first round match, but nothing worth writing home about. The only thing worth noting was that Walsh was getting pushed to achieve a 91 average, whereas King wasn't pressured at all on his way to a 92 average.

I should really be supporting Walsh seeing as he's my local player.

Good luck with that.

Cheers.