Rugby Union

kiwififer

we have a ref that is good enough to go to the Olympics and has refereed a number world series 7s finals and is not considered for full games. We have 3 refs on the Pro 12 list who have less between them in total than Mitrea has had this season

Hopefully they get moved up a level soon then. Mitrea usually leaves me baffled any time I see him in charge, and there are far too many Irish and Welsh refs imo. Have to admit though that I was impressed by Ben Whitehouse anytime I saw him this season.

Hopefully they get moved up a level soon then. Mitrea usually leaves me baffled any time I see him in charge, and there are far too many Irish and Welsh refs imo. Have to admit though that I was impressed by Ben Whitehouse anytime I saw him this season.

we have had a number of refs at a high level at 7s before but they never seem to get a chance. I agree that Ben Whitehouse looks like he is going to be a top ref http://www.rugbydump.com/2016/01/4854/friday-funnies-referee-ben-whitehouse-executes-a-perfect-interception the reason for the large number of Irish refs is as far as I can tell is for a long while the head of IRB/World Rugby refs was Irish. They also share/shared offices with the IRFU and the Pro 12

Also Friday nights top 14 final's attendance of 99124(230 from capacity) at the Camp Nou sets a new record for attendance at a domestic match and it must also the 4th highest attendance for a Union match behind two Australia v New Zealand matches  in 200 and 1999(with a Scottish ref) at Stadium Australia and a Scotland v Wales game from 1975 at Murrayfield.  http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/records/team/highest_attendance.html?id=1;type=class 

Edited by ajwffc

Another concerning article by Tom English on the BBC rugby page.

It's a total overreaction.

Yes, they were poor. Yes, poor discipline from the Japanese helped them. Scotland in the past would have shat the bed in that situation, in both games. Take the two wins, and reassess in the Autumn.

What I think he fails to realise is that Japan were fresher. Barring Huw Jones, all our players hadn't played in a long time before the 1st test as even the Premiership and Pro 12 finals were a good few weeks ago. The southern hemisphere game is well into its season.

Not to mention the humid conditions and the fact that the players haven't had a rest since world cup training camps started in June last year.

Japan are 2 places below us in the world rankings, both games were potential banana skins, but we've come out of them with 2 wins, which given where we have been the last few years is a huge positive.

A good portion of this team, played the 14/15 season, then straight into the world cup training camps, WC, then season 15/16 without a decent break. They could all do with a month or so off, but they are going to get a week or so and be back in for pre-season training

My understanding is that the pre-season training is done in blocks to allow the players to get a decent break and also to allow them to deal with the intensity on a gradual basis.  I think that the Scotland players will be allowed a rest before their pre-season training starts. 

However, even though the season doesn't start till September, we do have Mark Bennett and Stuart Hogg away at August with the GB 7's at the Olympics so they may have shortened breaks and their training will have a 7's element to it I would think.

It was a poor performance with ball in hand and the line out was shambolic however defence was good and the players have had a non stop high intensity 12 months. Had we not needed to play to keep our ranking points a long break would probably have been ideal but bottom line is we found a way to win. As someone else said in the past we would have lost both games. Had the referee been vaguely competent we would have won the second test more comfortably. Japanese got away with a hell of a lot of dangerous high tackles and there should have been a few yellow cards shown.

My understanding is that the pre-season training is done in blocks to allow the players to get a decent break and also to allow them to deal with the intensity on a gradual basis.  I think that the Scotland players will be allowed a rest before their pre-season training starts. 

However, even though the season doesn't start till September, we do have Mark Bennett and Stuart Hogg away at August with the GB 7's at the Olympics so they may have shortened breaks and their training will have a 7's element to it I would think.

Hogg opted out of the 7s, Bennett is the only Scottish 15s player currently involved.

the world rankings have been updated with the top 10 as follows (last weeks rankings in brackets)

1 New Zealand (1)

2 England (2)

3 South Africa (3)

4 Australia (4)

5 Wales (6)

6 Ireland (7)

7 France (9)

8 Scotland (8)

9 Argentina (5)

10 Fiji (10)

the world rankings have been updated with the top 10 as follows (last weeks rankings in brackets)

1 New Zealand (1)

2 England (2)

3 South Africa (3)

4 Australia (4)

5 Wales (6)

6 Ireland (7)

7 France (9)

8 Scotland (8)

9 Argentina (5)

10 Fiji (10)

Nice. Need to try and stay in there cos there's no way we can get that lucky with rwc draw this time round.

European cup draws today at 1300. Timisoara Saracens of Romania and Enisei of Russia are the 2 winners from the qualifying cup. 

Would like to get Bristol (just the other side of town), Timisoara (nice cheap trip) and Grenoble, although I'm not that bothered about which french team.

ETA Draw;

Quins
Edinburgh

Stade Francais

Timisoara

Edited by Jeek

European cup draws today at 1300. Timisoara Saracens of Romania and Enisei of Russia are the 2 winners from the qualifying cup. 

Would like to get Bristol (just the other side of town), Timisoara (nice cheap trip) and Grenoble, although I'm not that bothered about which french team.

ETA Draw;

Quins

Edinburgh

Stade Francais

Timisoara

Ooft that is a tough draw. 

Glasgow's is tough too. A return for Leone too... 

Racing, Glasgow, Leicester and Munster. 

Edited by flyingscot