Rugby Union

kiwififer

I'm obviously not saying he should be there (and could theoretically still be called up as cover once injured players drop out) but other than when he was injured in 2008, I think that’s the first six nations squad since 2004 not to include Sean Lamont.

He's been an incredible servant to scottish rugby. Don't think he gets credit he deserves bearing in mind for the early part of his career being a Scottish winger was a thankless task.

It limits the bench though if you have to shuffle Hogg to 10, then maitland to 15 if Russell gets injured. It also puts a marker on Finn as the opposition will know you dont have a proper replacement for one of the most pivitol positions

Agreed....but vern cotter also thinks we should pick a hooker that can't throw or hook and a scrum half whose biggest weakness is passing.

Russell and weir as the 10s with Hogg and Laidlaw as emergency cover is fine. If one of the first 2 gets injured, they'll call in someone else.

Think that's the first time I've ever looked at a French squad and thought "So what?". Nothing there that makes we worry too much.

Russell and weir as the 10s with Hogg and Laidlaw as emergency cover is fine. If one of the first 2 gets injured, they'll call in someone else.
Think that's the first time I've ever looked at a French squad and thought "So what?". Nothing there that makes we worry too much.

The money swilling about France isn't helping the national team. So many foreign players now that french players barely seem to get a look in. It's definitely a fixture we should be targeting.

18 hours ago, dogmc said:

Didn't realise cornell du preez was qualified. The centre and back 3 options are arguably the best we have ever had. Jon Welsh is a handy option if nel or Fagerson are injured.

There are five legitimately top quality centres, all of whom could go on the Lions tour if they play to form.  It was not long all that long ago that Andrew Henderson was the centre of the future.

11 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

There are five legitimately top quality centres, all of whom could go on the Lions tour if they play to form.  It was not long all that long ago that Andrew Henderson was the centre of the future.

I may be the dissenting voice, but Henderson was a decent enough player. The main issue with him was that we had f**k all around him. That's not to suggest he was ever going to be the best in the world, but if we had had any of the current 5 available, he would have made a very good partnership with them.

He is often spoken of as the nadir of Scottish midfield backs, but we have had far worse before him and since.

I may be the dissenting voice, but Henderson was a decent enough player. The main issue with him was that we had f**k all around him. That's not to suggest he was ever going to be the best in the world, but if we had had any of the current 5 available, he would have made a very good partnership with them.
He is often spoken of as the nadir of Scottish midfield backs, but we have had far worse before him and since.

He certainly wasn't the worse, Marcus Di Rollo was probably the worst Scottish back I've seen in my lifetime.

Just looking at the backline we have now must keep andy Robinson up nights. When you see the pish he had to work with as a backline it must have been so frustrating for him. Very trendy to slag off Robinson but given how well he did with a mediocre pack rarely losing by more than a single score it would be fascinating to see what he could have done with the current squad.

Edinburgh Rugby team to play Timisoara Saracens in the European Rugby Challenge Cup at Myreside tomorrow (Friday 20 January, kick-off 7.35pm) 

15. Blair Kinghorn

14. Damien Hoyland
13. Michael Allen
12. Chris Dean
11. Tom Brown

10. Duncan Weir
9. Nathan Fowles 

1. Allan Dell
2. Neil Cochrane CAPTAIN
3.  Simon Berghan
4. Ben Toolis
5. Grant Gilchrist
6. Magnus Bradbury
7. Jamie Ritchie
8. Cornell Du Preez

Replacements 

16. Stuart McInally
17. Jack Cosgrove
18. Murray McCallum
19. Lewis Carmichael
20. Viliame Mata
21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
22. Jason Tovey
23. Rory Scholes

Players unavailable due to injury: Kevin Bryce (shoulder), Phil Burleigh (neck), Alasdair Dickinson (foot), John Hardie (ankle), Will Helu (hand), Nasi Manu (shoulder), WP Nel (neck), Alex Northam (Achilles), Rory Sutherland (groin), Hamish Watson (ribs)

Edinburgh Rugby team to play Timisoara Saracens in the European Rugby Challenge Cup at Myreside tomorrow (Friday 20 January, kick-off 7.35pm) 

15. Blair Kinghorn

14. Damien Hoyland
13. Michael Allen
12. Chris Dean
11. Tom Brown

10. Duncan Weir
9. Nathan Fowles 

1. Allan Dell
2. Neil Cochrane CAPTAIN
3.  Simon Berghan
4. Ben Toolis
5. Grant Gilchrist
6. Magnus Bradbury
7. Jamie Ritchie
8. Cornell Du Preez

Replacements 

16. Stuart McInally
17. Jack Cosgrove
18. Murray McCallum
19. Lewis Carmichael
20. Viliame Mata
21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
22. Jason Tovey
23. Rory Scholes

Players unavailable due to injury: Kevin Bryce (shoulder), Phil Burleigh (neck), Alasdair Dickinson (foot), John Hardie (ankle), Will Helu (hand), Nasi Manu (shoulder), WP Nel (neck), Alex Northam (Achilles), Rory Sutherland (groin), Hamish Watson (ribs)

Would have swapped tovey n weir tbh. Hope they win.