Rugby Union

kiwififer

How the fuk did Glasgow secure the services of D Rennie. He's currently probably the best coach in the business. What a coup

Must have put some serious cash into it. Only worry is that he isn't appointing his own coaching team. He's gonna have the current Scotland assistant coach n forwards coach. I absolutely don't rate humphreys as a forwards coach at all. Would much rather rennie had full control of his team.

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Must have put some serious cash into it. Only worry is that he isn't appointing his own coaching team. He's gonna have the current Scotland assistant coach n forwards coach. I absolutely don't rate humphreys as a forwards coach at all. Would much rather rennie had full control of his team.

I can see where you're coming from but some credit where it's due imho.  Scotland have improved significantly beginning from the 2015 World Cup so I'll give them credit for that.  Also, Dave Rennie is indeed one of the best coaches in the business who'll hopefully make us more competitive during international windows.  However, he would have had a great say about his coaching team before he took the job on.  I reckon if he wasn't happy he'd have had a say in that or would have refused the position.

Looking forward to (hopefully) getting back to winning ways tomorrow.  Dragons will provide a tricky test though.

I can see where you're coming from but some credit where it's due imho.  Scotland have improved significantly beginning from the 2015 World Cup so I'll give them credit for that.  Also, Dave Rennie is indeed one of the best coaches in the business who'll hopefully make us more competitive during international windows.  However, he would have had a great say about his coaching team before he took the job on.  I reckon if he wasn't happy he'd have had a say in that or would have refused the position.
Looking forward to (hopefully) getting back to winning ways tomorrow.  Dragons will provide a tricky test though.

Oh he's a huge signing no doubt. Really hope your right about him having final say on coaching team. Glasgow won't make play offs but defo need to get some forward momentum before Saracens game.

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Oh he's a huge signing no doubt. Really hope your right about him having final say on coaching team. Glasgow won't make play offs but defo need to get some forward momentum before Saracens game.

It's an educated guess on my part.  Regardless of the sport, any manager or head coach worth their salt would never accept a post if they were going to be dictated to.  Perhaps unless you're the Hearts gaffer approx 10 years ago under Romanov maybe.

The management team would have looked at the Nov, Feb and March Pro12 fixtures at the start of the campaign and expected a struggle tbh.  This Sat would have been the targeted game to potentially get back on track.  As you say, getting momentum for the Sarries game is vital as Europe is exceptionally important.  However, the Pro12 is JUST AS important as that's the bread and butter.

Our aim should be to hit the ground between Sat and the end of the season to finish as high up the table as poss and MAYBE nick 4th.  However, even if we win the remaining games inc Munster and Leinster, they still have significant cushions over us and will pick up points themselves no doubt.  However, the better our finish, the better draw we may get for Europe next season...

I was thinking about the fixtures after last weeks game, if Glasgow had Zebra & Trevisio instead of 2 of Scarlets / ulster / ospreys they would be sitting 5th a few points behind the Scarlets. It really is a bit of luck with who you get during the 6N's especially given how many players Glasgow lose (probably hardest hit of all the teams) as to how the league is going to pan out.

We still have a shot at 4th, but it would mean winning our remaining 6 games, and hoping Scarlets and Ulster both lose 3 games (although with BP it gets a bit more complicated) Ulster still have Leinster, Munster and Ospreys, Scarlets have Leinster and Ospreys then your hoping one of Edinburugh, Dragons or Connacht do us a favour.

52 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I was thinking about the fixtures after last weeks game, if Glasgow had Zebra & Trevisio instead of 2 of Scarlets / ulster / ospreys they would be sitting 5th a few points behind the Scarlets. It really is a bit of luck with who you get during the 6N's especially given how many players Glasgow lose (probably hardest hit of all the teams) as to how the league is going to pan out.

We still have a shot at 4th, but it would mean winning our remaining 6 games, and hoping Scarlets and Ulster both lose 3 games (although with BP it gets a bit more complicated) Ulster still have Leinster, Munster and Ospreys, Scarlets have Leinster and Ospreys then your hoping one of Edinburugh, Dragons or Connacht do us a favour.

Good point.  I counted Scarlets away, Ospreys at home and Munster at home during the Autumn Tests then during 6N we've had Ospreys away, Ulster at home and Scarlets away.  Therefore, this will be the game we'll be targeting. 

The Connacht game at home follows a week after the 6N finishes.  It'll be a similar situation to Munster at home a week after the Autumn Tests finished when a large chunk of players will thankfully be back but not all.  However, Connacht will hopefully be more manageable than Munster.

The 2nd string side have improved over time imo.  We finished well over in Ulster recently and a bit unlucky not to get a losing BP come the end.  The team turned it up a notch at Ospreys and were unlucky not to sneak the win imho.  We MUST win tomorrow.

Good point.  I counted Scarlets away, Ospreys at home and Munster at home during the Autumn Tests then during 6N we've had Ospreys away, Ulster at home and Scarlets away.  Therefore, this will be the game we'll be targeting. 
The Connacht game at home follows a week after the 6N finishes.  It'll be a similar situation to Munster at home a week after the Autumn Tests finished when a large chunk of players will thankfully be back but not all.  However, Connacht will hopefully be more manageable than Munster.
The 2nd string side have improved over time imo.  We finished well over in Ulster recently and a bit unlucky not to get a losing BP come the end.  The team turned it up a notch at Ospreys and were unlucky not to sneak the win imho.  We MUST win tomorrow.

Glasgow definitely have had the short straw with autumn n 6n fixtures. It's a double whammy because no other side in Pro12 loses so many players to international games and there's also been injuries on top of that. Whilst the current 2nd string isn't quite there yet, it would only need 3 or 4 experienced gnarly veterans to keep them on track. If you consider losing dth niko Leone n strauss becoming qualified then that 4 could probably have carried Glasgow through the international weeks.

I think we have been unlucky this year with the foreign guys we have brought in. Kentale has hardly played, the Namibian guy and Peterson have been injured all season, langilangi looked good but he only lasted a few weeks. Grigg and Johnson are OK but hardly world beaters. I know the whole remit is to produce players for Scotland team but we need a core of 3 or 4 players that are not going to disappear during the 6N. We could do with a mixture of either SH guys who are in their 30's and young up and coming guys from the PI's or US& Canada. As has been said we miss Niko nakarawa DTH, Blair cuisiter etc

Noticeable improvement in embra scrum with dickinson back. Would get him back in squad for England game n get dell back to embra. Ironic cos when he first came into Scotland squad Al was honking at scrummaging.

Props tend to develop later in their career, particularly in the dark arts of the scrum.

Props tend to develop later in their career, particularly in the dark arts of the scrum.

Yep....is why I've high hopes for guys like Fagerson n mccallum. Dicko was thoroughly chronic early in his career but he's superb now.....absolutely gutted to see him stretchered off here. He was superb tonight n would have been a decent shout to start v England. Nae luck at all with our props at minute