Rugby Union

kiwififer

I see that the Auckland blues survived a wee scare at home this morning against the QR aussie franchise. Generally that would be a thumping. Good news tho, as it gives the Blues the wee kick up the arse needed to smash the Lions

The Blues had a weakened side out and had 4 trys ruled out

If our 7s get shafted after the vast improvements they have made then I'm done with the SRU. I'm sure Scott Hastings is fully supportive of this

Yep. The fact that talks had started to take place before the announcement suggests they know full well how unpopular a move this is. Would be utterly shameful if it went through. The 7s is a huge success story and we don't have that many in the last 20 odd years. The sru servility can be seen on Facebook where they are cheerleading the lions left right now centre. No other home union would have tolerated their players being discriminated against and then slipped on the pom poms.

Today's Scotsman suggests both axed South African teams will be invited into Pro 12, and there would be 2 conferences of 7... a North American team and a single Italian team were previously reported... playing 19 matches (i.e. own conference H&A, other H/A). Maybe chuck in special game = 20 to equalise totals?

Everyone else would visit South Africa on adjacent weekends.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Yep. The fact that talks had started to take place before the announcement suggests they know full well how unpopular a move this is. Would be utterly shameful if it went through. The 7s is a huge success story and we don't have that many in the last 20 odd years. The sru servility can be seen on Facebook where they are cheerleading the lions left right now centre. No other home union would have tolerated their players being discriminated against and then slipped on the pom poms.

Agree unfortunately much of the SRU oozes servility. Many of the lads that are currently playing rugby probably don't. The blazers in the main are servile craven c***s. Totally agree, the IRFU would have told the lions to do one if it happened to them, their papers would be in uproar and ex pros like BOD would keep on driving the point.

What do we have, fukin Scott bloody Hastings

Today's Scotsman suggests both axed South African teams will be invited into Pro 12, and there would be 2 conferences of 7... a North American team and a single Italian team were previously reported... playing 19 matches (i.e. own conference H&A, other H/A). Maybe chuck in special game = 20 to equalise totals?

Everyone else would visit South Africa on adjacent weekends.

Did it say how European qualification would work under a conference format?

15 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Did it say how European qualification would work under a conference format?

Previous reports suggested top 3 in each conference would progress to knockouts for title (2 QFs, 2 SFs, Final)... presumably they'd = Heineken Cup qualifiers.

Maybe 4th places would play-off for last slot.

Previous reports suggested top 3 in each conference would progress to knockouts for title (2 QFs, 2 SFs, Final)... presumably they'd = Heineken Cup qualifiers.

Maybe 4th places would play-off for last slot.

So under the hypothetical conference system of X number of teams how would it actually run for a season. I tried to read super rugby system and it's a bit of a head scratcher at times.

Would each conference be equal to each other or would it not be better for a sort of promotion relegation between them. Italians, dragons and blues? Edinburgh Americans and a another bottom half of league in conference B and SA and the rest top half of league in conference A?

There would be 2 parallel sections of 7 teams each... You would play teams in your own section home-and-away, and the teams in the other section home-or-away, for a total of 19 - but as I note that'd mean some having one more home game than others, so maybe they'd randomly drawn an extra matchday to make 20.

Presume teams would be randomly drawn into sections, but perhaps in pairs of derbies in case of Irish, Welsh and Scots.

Title decided by playoffs:

QFs
(x) 2nd Conference A v 3rd Conference B
(y) 2nd Conference B v 3rd Conference A

SFs
1st Conference A v winner (y)
1st Conference B v winner (x)

Edited by HibeeJibee

There would be 2 parallel sections of 7 teams each... You would play teams in your own section home-and-away, and the teams in the other section home-or-away, for a total of 19 - but as I note that'd mean some having one more home game than others, so maybe they'd randomly drawn an extra matchday to make 20.

Presume teams would be randomly drawn into sections, but perhaps in pairs of derbies.

Title decided by playoffs:

QFs
(x) 2nd Conference A v 3rd Conference B
(y) 2nd Conference B v 3rd Conference A

SFs
1st Conference A v winner (y)
1st Conference B v winner (x)

Where the heck they gonna get decent refs for all of this? The standard is already dreadful. ....

In their defence there would only be 7 matches each weekend versus 6 just now - and 2 of those would be in South Africa each fortnight, and 1 in North America every other week.

I'm not at all a fan of including non-European teams, btw.

In their defence there would only be 7 matches each weekend versus 6 just now - and 2 of those would be in South Africa each fortnight, and 1 in North America every other week.

I'm not at all a fan of including non-European teams, btw.

I'm quite keen on n American sides to facilitate development but our priority should be Georgia Romania etc. Not sure what south African sides would get out of this.

17 hours ago, ajwffc said:
17 hours ago, Swarley said:

@Eednud knows more than I on this. Last I heard it was going to be the Force but both are awful.

Force are the team more than likely to get the chop as they are owned by the ARU.

Reds are not much better and are now 12-0 down v the Blues in Samoa (live on SS1)after less than 8min. 

As you both say more than likely the Force as means the ARU won't get caught up in a Court battle. The Force are shite but the Rebels even shitier. Both should go.