Rugby Union

kiwififer

Scotstoun is not big enough and council owned. Athletics club detest the Warriors for a variety of reasons and the Warriors can't get bigger stands because of the track. Glasgow really should have their own rugby ground with not hassles- 15K capacity initially.
If a 3rd pro team returns I've maintained Dundee / Perth over Aberdeen, but wouldn't be totally opposed to Aberdeen. 

Is it realistic though that the Warriors can move to their own purpose made ground?

With the 3rd pro team point I think it may well be a travelling home side depending on opposition. Play big games or derby games in Aberdeen and the rest as you say dundee Perth. Anyway 3rd team is a non entity for now but would be good to see another team in the SRU pro ranks

17 hours ago, come on shire said:

I love Scotstoun.  Don't wish to tempt fate but so far it's proven to be a bit of a fortress since we moved there barring international windows.

I think extending the capacity would be a great idea should the team continue to push on.  However, wouldn't the athletics club(s) that use it kick up a fuss again and scream that the Warriors are being favoured over them just like when the plastic turf was laid?  

Can't expand it much without rebuilding north stand, plus residents would object too never mind athletics clubs. 

I still think Scotstoun isn't a proper rugby ground. End zones are too small, capacity too small, temporary seating is rubbish. I have a good seat and I like it but given the ST are selling out and now we need a membership to buy match tickets for big games. 

Warriors need to grow the rugby attendance and market in Glasgow, Scotstoun is artificially restricting it. 

15 hours ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

Is it realistic though that the Warriors can move to their own purpose made ground?

With the 3rd pro team point I think it may well be a travelling home side depending on opposition. Play big games or derby games in Aberdeen and the rest as you say dundee Perth. Anyway 3rd team is a non entity for now but would be good to see another team in the SRU pro ranks

Realistic yes, likely from a financial standpoint probably not. 

Scotland desperately needs another Pro team. 

Pro 12 meeting on Tuesday next week likely to confirm the 2 SA teams, plus a move to 7 team conference system, playing the other 6 teams in your conference home and away, and the 7 other teams once either home or away. This will be in place for one year, with a team from the US as a minimum joining in 2018.

The SRU should make a move now to get a 3rd pro team from 2018

The third pro team debate keeps coming up with the fans, but is there any real suggestion this will actually come to fruition? I haven't kept up to date recently, but from what I remember reading in the past the SRU has been quite standoffish whenever any mention of a third pro team comes to bear. The bean counters seem afraid of the initial outlay of cash this would require. Has that changed with the upturn of Scotland's fortunes?

Pro 12 meeting on Tuesday next week likely to confirm the 2 SA teams, plus a move to 7 team conference system, playing the other 6 teams in your conference home and away, and the 7 other teams once either home or away. This will be in place for one year, with a team from the US as a minimum joining in 2018.
The SRU should make a move now to get a 3rd pro team from 2018

3rd pro team would make perfect sense in a conference system as highlighted. It would be expensive initially but I believe Scottish rugby is on the up and it may be wise to take advantage of that. It may well be that the sru are pursuing this but keeping cards close to the chest on it.

As it stands there are

4 Irish
4 welsh
2 Scots
2 Italian
2 SA tbc
1 American franchise 2018
1 team could either be as I see it a
3rd Scots team or a Canadian franchise or western European franchise team (Spanish or german)

I believe the sru should be making the effort to get a third team in if it's affordable and sustainable

Two conferences of 8 sounds really good to me top 4 of each go to playoffs.

16 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

3rd pro team would make perfect sense in a conference system as highlighted. It would be expensive initially but I believe Scottish rugby is on the up and it may be wise to take advantage of that. It may well be that the sru are pursuing this but keeping cards close to the chest on it.

As it stands there are

4 Irish
4 welsh
2 Scots
2 Italian
2 SA tbc
1 American franchise 2018
1 team could either be as I see it a
3rd Scots team or a Canadian franchise or western European franchise team (Spanish or german)

I believe the sru should be making the effort to get a third team in if it's affordable and sustainable

Two conferences of 8 sounds really good to me top 4 of each go to playoffs.

There a few options in the mix for the last place to make it 16.

3rd Scottish team

Canadian team - they have been sounded out but would probably need an indoor stadium as cant play outdoor during winter

Spanish - They have a solid semi-pro league already, recent finals between the 2 Valladolid sides have attracted 15-20k attendances (held in  Real Valladolids stadium) Spanish RU have been asked but stated dont have the funds for a Pro team

Germany - Wild who owns Sunny Delight is the main backer of the German RU (runs the Wild rugby academy) but has just bought Stade Francias so probably not a good time for them

Georgia - good bet as have the govt backing and a lot of private investment in rugby infrastructure. Plenty of players available also, but same arguments as 6N's in what would they bring financially to the Pro12. Not huge TV market, probably no away fans coming over.

6 hours ago, honestly united said:

There a few options in the mix for the last place to make it 16.

3rd Scottish team

Canadian team - they have been sounded out but would probably need an indoor stadium as cant play outdoor during winter

Spanish - They have a solid semi-pro league already, recent finals between the 2 Valladolid sides have attracted 15-20k attendances (held in  Real Valladolids stadium) Spanish RU have been asked but stated dont have the funds for a Pro team

Germany - Wild who owns Sunny Delight is the main backer of the German RU (runs the Wild rugby academy) but has just bought Stade Francias so probably not a good time for them

Georgia - good bet as have the govt backing and a lot of private investment in rugby infrastructure. Plenty of players available also, but same arguments as 6N's in what would they bring financially to the Pro12. Not huge TV market, probably no away fans coming over.

Of those options

Georgia would probably provide the best playing side and be well supported at home but arent in a great location for everyone else in the league or provide a lot of money

North American teams would probably be the best option for money and marketing and tv deals but nightmare travel scenario and probably weakish playing sides

Spain/Germany probably best for travel and time zone but would people be interested in these countries to go and watch and would the playing sides be up to standard.

Scottish third team would be weak and possibly under supported at first but have the best potential and would likely suit the other nations

The only other option i see is the exiles or an English Saxons type team. Would suit travel and tv and marketing and would likely be well supported as a touring side for exile English people. But the English Union is unlikely to set something like that up i imagine.

There is still nowhere near enough cash in the Scottish game to fund a 3rd Pro-Team. The BT deal finally paid off the cost of building Murrayfield, so it's not as if that has provided a massive pile of cash.

The fact that the SRU are considering binning the 7s team, which receives huge financial assistance from the IRB (hotel and travel costs at tournaments, etc) shows that there is still a financial struggle going on.

There is still nowhere near enough cash in the Scottish game to fund a 3rd Pro-Team. The BT deal finally paid off the cost of building Murrayfield, so it's not as if that has provided a massive pile of cash.
The fact that the SRU are considering binning the 7s team, which receives huge financial assistance from the IRB (hotel and travel costs at tournaments, etc) shows that there is still a financial struggle going on.

Yep reckon that's bang on correct. I think after landing in so much debt from murrayfield they are reluctant to take a big financial risk again. Much as I criticise them for being too stingy (and dropping the 7s side is a HUGE error) it's completely understandable. A 3rd pro side will need a few years of planning and development....trying to throw something together for this season would be impossible. The fact that the league itself is in such a mess makes it even riskier. That said more money is coming into the game and international matches are more often than not sold out (not that long ago we really struggled for crowds) so it would be nice to hear that some plans are being put together to give our young players somewhere to get professional game time. So far the silence is deafening.

2 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

They play Europe 2 who will be the winner of a two legged playoff between the 2nd placed side in the combined European championship and Portugal.

A game Samoa should win whoever they play, but even if they did manage to lose then they get yet another chance to qualify through the repechage.

A game Samoa should win whoever they play, but even if they did manage to lose then they get yet another chance to qualify through the repechage.

The qualification has been set up to heavily favour the 3 Pacific Island sides. With the 2 automatic slots for Oceiana going to them with the 3rd placed side getting another 2 chances via a play-off and the repechage

The qualification has been set up to heavily favour the 3 Pacific Island sides. With the 2 automatic slots for Oceiana going to them with the 3rd placed side getting another 2 chances via a play-off and the repechage

Given how many players they have nicked by nz oz n England (and how much theyve helped Glasgow ) dont think anyone can begrudge them rwc places. They will add more than one dimensional shite like wales n Italy tbf. Just be nice if refs started carding Samoa for armless tackles/high tackles/off the ball tackles and combos of all of the above....