Rugby Union

kiwififer

So it's really going to depend what the fixtures from the other conference are like. Also means Glasgow will need a lot of luck with fixture scheduling during autumn n 6n as there are fewer weak sides to play (one less v Treviso n dragons). Think embra might have preferred Glasgow conference as well. Tough looking for them.

The structure is pretty much as expected. It will lead to some imbalance in fixtures, and subsequent moaning, but that is inevitable with any set up using conferences.

Does anyone know if either the Kings or Cheetahs have many internationals in their sides? I’m assuming they don’t have a huge amount just now, though that could change if some South Africans are looking for an easier path into European leagues.

Though the Rugby Championship will be running from August each year, the South Africans look like they'll have advantages over the Six Nations period and having extra rest during European weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see them added to the European cups at some point, odd as that might be.

Will have to wait to see how the fixtures fall to get a better idea.

Aye will be a full season before we see how the format is. Only sa sides I've watched were blue bulls v sharks n it was awful. Neither side could string 3 passes together without dropping the ball. Hoping these 2 sides are gonna be good to watch n not be the usual sa maul the crap out of it stuff. Still feels like we should find space in future seasons for a Georgian n Romanian side which would have 8 sides to each conference.

Seen on Facebook a few people saying it's Saturday only fixtures. Can't imagine that's going to go down well with season ticket holders who still play or watch their club sides on a sat. Being selfish I like having the fixtures spread over the weekend so I can watch a few different games. Hoping this is just a social media rumour.

2 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Seen on Facebook a few people saying it's Saturday only fixtures. Can't imagine that's going to go down well with season ticket holders who still play or watch their club sides on a sat. Being selfish I like having the fixtures spread over the weekend so I can watch a few different games. Hoping this is just a social media rumour.

I think they're misinterpreting the statement with Saturday fixtures, my reading is that the games in SA will all be Saturdays with a minimum of a week before the fixture to let teams have time to acclimatise e.g. play at home on a Friday, in Sa the following Saturday, then at home the following Friday. No need to panic (until we see the fixture list, anyway!).

I saw one suggestion which would work in terms of not losing out on the numbers of games on your season ticket, have the third Embra derby game available to ST holders of both clubs. Would mean travelling to Murrayfield/Scotstoun for the extra game but it's not as if Scotstoun's shitey pitch didn't cause a bit of travelling for Warriors fans in the past...

I think they're misinterpreting the statement with Saturday fixtures, my reading is that the games in SA will all be Saturdays with a minimum of a week before the fixture to let teams have time to acclimatise e.g. play at home on a Friday, in Sa the following Saturday, then at home the following Friday. No need to panic (until we see the fixture list, anyway!).
I saw one suggestion which would work in terms of not losing out on the numbers of games on your season ticket, have the third Embra derby game available to ST holders of both clubs. Would mean travelling to Murrayfield/Scotstoun for the extra game but it's not as if Scotstoun's shitey pitch didn't cause a bit of travelling for Warriors fans in the past...

Ah that would make sense tbf

5 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Ah that would make sense tbf

Having said that, and thinking it through a bit, unless they're going to play their games in batches then the SA teams will play all of their matches on a Saturday to ensure they get equal treatment coming to Europe suggesting at least one home Saturday fixture, possibly 2 depending on where the other SA game is being played.

Edited by salmonbuddie

Having said that, and thinking it through a bit, unless they're going to play their games in batches then the SA teams will play all of their matches on a Saturday to ensure they get equal treatment coming to Europe suggesting at least one home Saturday fixture, possibly 2 depending on where the other SA game is being played.

A few sat games is fine just not all them.

It would surely make sense to "reset" the league every two years, so that everyone has played an equal number of home and away games in the meantime? Otherwise, some teams may end up playing eleven home games in successive seasons while others play only ten home games for a number of years.

What do you think they mean by "Plus 2 remaining derbies?" I take it to mean that the Irish teams in conference A will play the 2 Irish teams in B once more each to have 2 home and 2 away against all 3 provinces, and that the Welsh teams will do the same - so what does that mean for the Italian, Scottish and South African sides? Or do they mean that the 2 derbies will be against your notional rivals? In that case then Glasgow will have 2 at home to Edinbugh or vice versa. The fact that the word "Remaining" is in there suggest the former to me but is there any official word?

Everyone plays teams in their own conference twice and the other conference once.

The Irish play two additional games against the Irish teams in the other Conference.

The Welsh play two additional games against the Welsh teams in the other Conference.

The Scottish, Italian and South African teams play an additional TWO games against the only other team from their own country (so Glasgow will be playing Edinburgh three times a season).

Good suggestion but why not make it for ST holders (first allocation) general public next at a neutral venue in Scotland. (Say Perth)?

They could maybe have a whole weekend of games at a neutral venue like they do in rugby league?

The South Africans could play each other somewhere like Durban on the Friday nights then have Welsh, Irish, Scottish and Italian derby games at, say, Wembley or Old Trafford, three on Saturday, three on Sunday.

Got an email from warriors, of the three games v Edinburgh two will be played at murrayfield. Season ticket holders for Glasgow will all be given a ticket for the first 1872 cup game at murrayfield and two tickets for the third game.

Its good to finally see information from the league. Next up is the fixture list. I am generally more interested how it will work for the South Africans and what fixtures they play where. Wonder how the Italians will get on. I fully expect them to both finish bottom and lose a franchise

3 hours ago, Northsea80 said:

Got an email from warriors, of the three games v Edinburgh two will be played at murrayfield. Season ticket holders for Glasgow will all be given a ticket for the first 1872 cup game at murrayfield and two tickets for the third game.

If I read it correctly it's only for the third game that we receive any tickets for

It all seems totally contrived to me. Unequal H/A totals is bad, and could it disadvantage the Scottish sides given they play each other in both 'top-up' games whereas the Welsh or Irish play 2 of their 3 fellow compatriots?

Understand the necessity - can't fit 26 games - but if this is the solution hopefully they get (say) 1 US & 1 Canadian in for 2018-19 = 16 teams = 15 games > split > 7 games.

On the domestic side - having only 6 teams sucks. Underfunding them to the tune of only £100k a year sucks. Automatically allocating 4 places, 2 to Edinburgh and Glasgow, sucks.

It will be very interesting to see how they want to implement it anyway. If they want to take 6 existing clubs they surely there will be a mighty rammy over who those 6 sides are (e.g. with at most 2 places for Edinburgh and 2 places for the Borders - you will have double or more clubs arguing they should be the lucky ones). Plus if you do that where is the support going to come from - if you pick Melrose and Hawick, fans and sponsors aren't going to quit their own clubs in Gala, Selkirk, Kelso, Jedforest etc. to support them.

If they want to create 6 bespoke teams then you're back in Border Reivers territory - are enough people in the provinces going to support them instead of, or as well, as their existing club? Are enough people in the cities going to support them as well as Edinburgh or Glasgow or their existing club? It's not even as if there'll be the Celtic League glamour: just 5 domestic opponents plus B&I Cup.

Edited by HibeeJibee