Rugby Union

kiwififer

Big Brian's not the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy.

I might be in the minority here, but he looked the part but didn't really offer the same grunt that the likes of Jonny Gray and Swinno offer.  Even Scott Cummings breaking through just now looks to be a stalwart.

Not only that, but he was perennially injured, a bit like Sarto.  Therefore I think it'll free up the wage bill.

All the best to him if/when he goes though.

Was he not just out of favour when Rennie arrived rather than injured? Possibly to do with his silly bulking down idea?

I'm not holding him out as a potential Nakarawa type hidden gem I just think in general terms a squad that is light on locks and ball carriers shouldn't let a ball carrying lock leave midseason.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

Was he not just out of favour when Rennie arrived rather than injured? Possibly to do with his silly bulking down idea?

He was long-term injured though Kiran McDonald was breaking through, Swinno found his form before injury, Jonny Gray and Scott Cummings are there with Rob Harley able to play 2nd row too. So I feel personally that there's better players there keeping him out.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

Hogg is apparently out injured for 6-8 weeks after surgery. No Champions Cup in October, No AIs.

That's not good news. However fingers crossed he manages the home games in the autumn tests though just in case Blair Kinghorn is proving to be a find at 15.

Very disappointing that Hoggy's out of Europe though Jacko did a great job at 15 when Hoggy was out injured last season. I'm hoping we'll have the artillery for the Southern Kings, the Dragons and Zebre game first though.

2 hours ago, David990 said:

John Hardie hasn’t managed to pick up a contract at Clermont. Wouldn’t mind having him at Glasgow.

Cracking player. But get the feeling the SRU have washed their hands of him after what happened and his departure from Edinburgh. Hope I'm wrong though. 

12 hours ago, same_ol_g35 said:

Cracking player. But get the feeling the SRU have washed their hands of him after what happened and his departure from Edinburgh. Hope I'm wrong though. 

Reckon you may be right. Don't think the SRU will be willing to offer him a contract, however Toonie still wants him to play for Scotland. A "til the end of the season" contract with Glasgow would see him still play games, maintaining match fitness, be in for a shout with Scotland whilst bolstering our back-row. Imagine a back-row of Hardie, Gibbons and Wilson. We've seen how effective having two 7s on the pitch can be with Scotland. Would love to see him play at Glasgow.

1 hour ago, David990 said:

Reckon you may be right. Don't think the SRU will be willing to offer him a contract, however Toonie still wants him to play for Scotland. A "til the end of the season" contract with Glasgow would see him still play games, maintaining match fitness, be in for a shout with Scotland whilst bolstering our back-row. Imagine a back-row of Hardie, Gibbons and Wilson. We've seen how effective having two 7s on the pitch can be with Scotland. Would love to see him play at Glasgow.

Our back row strength in depth is marvellous atm.  To bring in John Hardie would allow for more competition which is a good thing.  We also have Adam Ashe on terrific form too with Rob Harley in the mix.  Anyone know what's happened to the new American lad we brought in?  Has he been injured?

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

10-12 weeks on the Warriors website today.

Blow to lose Hoggy.  However, Jacko stepped up and did a great job this time last season when Hoggy got injured.  I think it'll be Jacko and Kinghorn that compete for the 15 shirt for the autumn tests.

3 hours ago, come on shire said:

Our back row strength in depth is marvellous atm.  To bring in John Hardie would allow for more competition which is a good thing.  We also have Adam Ashe on terrific form too with Rob Harley in the mix.  Anyone know what's happened to the new American lad we brought in?  Has he been injured?

Blow to lose Hoggy.  However, Jacko stepped up and did a great job this time last season when Hoggy got injured.  I think it'll be Jacko and Kinghorn that compete for the 15 shirt for the autumn tests.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that he turned up over weight and unfit, so he’s being blasted to get match fit. Maybe see him against Zebre/dragons at home. Maybe.

Vern Cotter is the driving force behind the Montpellier move. Rumour has it if Hogg goes he’ll become the highest paid player in Europe. Guess it would depend on how much he’d like to stay or how much he’d like to work with Vern again. Or how much money they offer :lol:

There were rumours about Glasgow having the young Italian fullback lined up to replace Hogg but he's out for ages with an ACL.

Cheetahs looked much better tonight but still completely blew a win against Ulster. Pen on the halfway line, 4 minutes to go, 4 points up.  They chose to kick the three points rather than back their maul which had scored two tries already. Game ended a draw.