Rugby Union

kiwififer

Gatland has been right all the time tbh, he's ruthless and doesn't sugarcoat. I'd love to have him as Scotland coach

I don’t think he’d get enough from our backs. The backs are Scotland’s only real strength. Unfortunately, the replacement backs simply aren’t up to scratch. But flinging the ball about is the only way these players are able to play. I’d hate to see a return to the Craig Chalmers kick-and-chase days.

The difference between Scotland under Townsend and Glasgow under Townsend during their peak Pro 12 final/winning period was being able to call on the ability of guys like DTH, Nakawara and Matawalu! Game changers. Guys who were unplayable when on form.

On 08/03/2019 at 16:26, same_ol_g35 said:

You can't be serious. So you're saying if everyone was fit, on form and available Pete Horne would be your starting 12 every game? Surely Dunbar is a class above and Johnson has shown way more than Horne already?  

I'd have Horne in my team as I think he's quality in that position. However I'd also want the likes of Dunbar, Jones and Johnson in beside him. Infact we needed one of these guys today. Grigg's just a bit too small and lacks that spark for Scotland that he has for Glasgow.

Edited by come on shire

Better 2nd half. Losing sucks but I can see why Toony experimented, i.e. dropping Laidlaw, having Watson benched. We're not winning the title and the WC's on the horizon. Ireland are playing for the title so Scotland getting a head start on prep might give us an edge for the WC game. Laidlaw's 33 so we need to see what life's like after him. Price offered more urgency and made Wales scramble a lot.

Kinghorn has to take responsibility for the 1st try. Missing a simple tackle at this level to allow an easy score is criminal. Second try his positioning was utter crap but granted he had an injury at that point.

I'll suggest that it's too early and hysterical to sack Toony but he really needs to develop a Plan B when opposition defence is tight and flair isn't working.

Losing Seymour is a blow for Glasgow with Sarries coming up but Sarries might also be worried that Liam Williams went off who's a good player for them.

Edited by come on shire

Just glad we played Italy first and got a win under our belts. Thought the last 10 minutes today showed up what we really lack, a couple of monster forwards to rumble forward and gain yards when we get near their line. From the lineout we had 6 or 7 meters out we just kept going backwards, then eventually panic and try a through kick with a very low percentage of coming off.

2 hours ago, come on shire said:

I'd have Horne in my team as I think he's quality in that position. However I'd also want the likes of Dunbar, Jones and Johnson in beside him. Infact we needed one of these guys today. Grigg's just a bit too small and lacks that spark for Scotland that he has for Glasgow.

Dunbar is gone. Horne is perhaps the best 12 but Johnson worth a role there. Grigg is good defensively and positionally. Perhaps the more defensive international game (and our slower ball compared to Glasgow) doesn't suit Grigg but he's far from the worst 13 we've had! 

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Just glad we played Italy first and got a win under our belts. Thought the last 10 minutes today showed up what we really lack, a couple of monster forwards to rumble forward and gain yards when we get near their line. From the lineout we had 6 or 7 meters out we just kept going backwards, then eventually panic and try a through kick with a very low percentage of coming off.

I actually felt the change we made by bringing on Laidlaw at 9 killed the game. He might be a hero but he is slow ball and caused us to go backwards. Price / Horne are future there. Should have kept Price at 9, put Laidlaw at 10, Russell at 12, Horne to 13 and moved Grigg to the wing. 

2 hours ago, come on shire said:

Better 2nd half. Losing sucks but I can see why Toony experimented, i.e. dropping Laidlaw, having Watson benched. We're not winning the title and the WC's on the horizon. Ireland are playing for the title so Scotland getting a head start on prep might give us an edge for the WC game. Laidlaw's 33 so we need to see what life's like after him. Price offered more urgency and made Wales scramble a lot.

Kinghorn has to take responsibility for the 1st try. Missing a simple tackle at this level to allow an easy score is criminal. Second try his positioning was utter crap but granted he had an injury at that point.

I'll suggest that it's too early and hysterical to sack Toony but he really needs to develop a Plan B when opposition defence is tight and flair isn't working.

Losing Seymour is a blow for Glasgow with Sarries coming up but Sarries might also be worried that Liam Williams went off who's a good player for them.

Price did himself no harm at 9 and made a case for his inclusion. I would fancy Horne there though, think he is a cracking player. Kinghorn is no 15 and sold us today. Townsend should have seen that after France and played him on the wing, and one of McGuigan or Seymour at 15.

Whilst it is too hasty to bin Townsend, you have to ask the question as he's certainly not driven us on from where Vern Cotter had us. Binning Cotter looks a bad call.  

The thing that's been the biggest disappointment for me over this tournament is that I don't think many of the fringe players have really come in and out much pressure on the guys currently first pick. Hogg, Jones, Maitland, Watson, Barclay, Wilson, Seymour, Russell all still look guaranteed to start our first game in Japan if fit. Richie Gray and Duncan Taylor as well probably.

Watson showed what we've been missing when he came on. He carried better than Strauss, tackled better than Ritchie and jackled better than anyone. Last season we were all about turnover ball and fast counter attacking. This season we've had no turnover ball to counter from. From that point of view surely Hardie was worth a try at some point?

4 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Dunbar is gone. Horne is perhaps the best 12 but Johnson worth a role there. Grigg is good defensively and positionally. Perhaps the more defensive international game (and our slower ball compared to Glasgow) doesn't suit Grigg but he's far from the worst 13 we've had! 

I actually felt the change we made by bringing on Laidlaw at 9 killed the game. He might be a hero but he is slow ball and caused us to go backwards. Price / Horne are future there. Should have kept Price at 9, put Laidlaw at 10, Russell at 12, Horne to 13 and moved Grigg to the wing. 

Price did himself no harm at 9 and made a case for his inclusion. I would fancy Horne there though, think he is a cracking player. Kinghorn is no 15 and sold us today. Townsend should have seen that after France and played him on the wing, and one of McGuigan or Seymour at 15.

Whilst it is too hasty to bin Townsend, you have to ask the question as he's certainly not driven us on from where Vern Cotter had us. Binning Cotter looks a bad call.  

I thought Price did his best on the wing in a shit situation, but he killed us at the end when getting put into touch after catching the box kick under not a lot of pressure. No actual winger would have made that mistake.

5 hours ago, GAD said:

Watson showed what we've been missing when he came on. He carried better than Strauss, tackled better than Ritchie and jackled better than anyone. Last season we were all about turnover ball and fast counter attacking. This season we've had no turnover ball to counter from. From that point of view surely Hardie was worth a try at some point?

Tbf it seems like there are less jackal turnovers this championship and this season in general. Players have gotten very efficient on the clear outs and the refs are very liberal on the angles clearers use ie allowing clearers to enter straight then clear at 90 degrees.

The lack of a yellow on the final maul penalty was baffling.

The result was disappointing but when you look at the lack of experience in the team and the centre combo it was probably inevitable. Kinghorn is a complete liability defenisively shouldn't be back in the XV until he sorts it out. If Hogg doesn't make the WC it should be Maitland or Hastings at FB.

Kinghorn doesn't look interested in defending. We looked much better with Hastings at FB. I don't what's happened but we really miss Dunbar at centre. Watson was our best player yesterday and he played less than half the match. Forwards offered next to nothing, backs had the odd break but nothing to write home about. Tbf I feared the worst before the game so picking up a losing bonus point is more than I thought we would get