Rugby Union

kiwififer

media rumours about the refs for the 2019 RWC

French quartet Jerome Garces, Romain Poite, Mathieu Raynal and Pascal Gauzere are expected to be named, alongside South African Jaco Peyper, Australia duo Nic Berry and Angus Gardner, while Nigel Owens (Wales), Luke Pearce (England), Wayne Barnes (England) should round off those selected.

43 minutes ago, afca32 said:

https://www.scottishrugby.org/news/scotland-training-squad-named-for-rugby-world-cup-2019

Two further players to be added when their seasons are finished and given Toulouse will likely make the Top 14 final (15th of June) Gray will surely be the forward mentioned. Not sure who the back is.

Cant think of any backs that will have any game time outwith those at Glasgow so would assume one of Jones / Steyn / McDowall / Hughes dependant on game time. 

Im suprised its only a 42 man training squad, given the world cup squad is going to be 31 players, and there are bound to be injuries given there are 4 warm up games, and at the tournament itself. I think I would have went for 60 player squad (ie 4 in each position) to ensure everyone was on board with game plan

7 hours ago, honestly united said:

Cant think of any backs that will have any game time outwith those at Glasgow so would assume one of Jones / Steyn / McDowall / Hughes dependant on game time. 

Im suprised its only a 42 man training squad, given the world cup squad is going to be 31 players, and there are bound to be injuries given there are 4 warm up games, and at the tournament itself. I think I would have went for 60 player squad (ie 4 in each position) to ensure everyone was on board with game plan

Yeah I couldn't think of one either but I've not given it much thought. Maybe a guy from Super Rugby or something we don't know about yet. I was a bit surprised at the small squad too and probably would've named a bigger one but Townsend explained he wanted to focus the coaching on the players who are at least in with a good chance of going.

Could be a return for Phil Burleigh but if it is a Scottish qualified Super Rugby player the only 2 I can think of  are Finlay Christie (scrumhalf for Hurricanes) and Murray Douglas(lock/flanker for Brumbies(signing a short term deal for Edinburgh at end of Super Rugby season))

I was having a think and it should be either Dunbar, Dean or Scott. We have one inside centre in Johnson, Taylor can cover if he is fit to go, and then you have Horne who will be there as he can cover Stand Off as well.

At outside centre we have Jones and Taylor and the lad from Northampton, and Grigg / Harris, and wing you have Graham, Seymour and Maitland and again Taylor and harris can cover as could Kinghorn, who is probably better on the wing than fullback.

I actually think Kinghorn could miss out. Hogg's a definite to start, I actually think Hastings is better at FB than 10 and Maitland and Seymour are more than adequate.

The make up of the 31 will be interesting, its usually along the lines of (plus who i think will go, if everyone is fit, not who I think should be picked)

5 props (2 each side plus one that can cover both) - (Nell, Dell, Bergham, Fagerson, Reid)

3 hookers - (McInally, Brown, Turner)

4 second rows (Grey, Gilchrist, Toolis, Sinner)

and usually someone like harley or skinner that cover 2nd row and backs

5 back rows (Watson, Barclay, Thompson, Ritchie, Bradbury)

3 Scrum halfs (Horne, Price, Laidlaw)

2 stand off's (Russell, Hastings)

4 centres (Johnson, Jones, Taylor, Harris)

3 wings (Graham, Maitland, Seymour)

2 Full backs (Hogg, Kinghorn)

Anyone else think Jones might be under a bit of pressure? At least one very good centre isn’t going, and I think it’ll be him, especially if this young guy from England is as good as advertised.