Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp
40 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

Ah well, not to be.

Leinster managed the game very well.

It's the normal Scotland v Ireland scenario. The Irish do the basics much better.  It doesn't sound sexy or exciting, but that's what wins 90% of games for them. 

If we're to have any chance at all of beating them in Yokohama, we have to learn how to win the very basic elements of the game.....win our own line outs, stabilise the scrum, re-cycle the ball efficiently, don't miss tackles. 

It's not rocket science, yet in general Irish clubs do it better than anyone (except Saracens). 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Only solace that I can take from this is that it took Townsend 3 years to win Pro12 and in his second year, he lost to Leinster in the final.

Unsurprised to hear that Owens bottled a big decision. The guy is more concerned with being a walking sound bite.

He did, but it didn't make any difference to the result. 

The Leinster side today is effectively the team that got to the Champions Cup final. They're pretty much one of the best club sides to have played the game and they're fucking hell of a difficult to beat.

Irish teams, from province to national side, have spent 20 years working hard on every single basic of the game.  If you're going to beat them, you have to scrum better, win every one of your own line outs, never miss a tackle, and take an opportunity when it's presented to you when you're 10 yards out. 

Irish teams are mentally conditioned to do all of that. Scottish sides are still hoping we can do that. 

That's, in general, why they're better than us. 

He did, but it didn't make any difference to the result. 
The Leinster side today is effectively the team that got to the Champions Cup final. They're pretty much one of the best club sides to have played the game and they're fucking hell of a difficult to beat.
Irish teams, from province to national side, have spent 20 years working hard on every single basic of the game.  If you're going to beat them, you have to scrum better, win every one of your own line outs, never miss a tackle, and take an opportunity when it's presented to you when you're 10 yards out. 
Irish teams are mentally conditioned to do all of that. Scottish sides are still hoping we can do that. 
That's, in general, why they're better than us. 
Hard to disagree with that really - unfortunately. Just have to stuff them next year.

Not long home and haven't had the chance to watch any of it back. Gutted isn't in it. They got two jammy breaks, and fucking bored us into submission.

Hearing Owens decided it was a timing issue with the Hogg/Kearney incident. I presume all incidents like that are timing issues since it wouldn't have been foul play if he had bothered to wait for him to come back down. There is no way that would have been yellow if it had been the other way round. Also had a Leinster fud next to me point out how classy of Kearney it was to check Hogg was OK - he seemed surprised when I pointed out it wasn't particularly classy to f**k him right out of the air onto his head.

I'm also intrigued by the penalty we got in our own 22 after their 3 minutes of pick and go at about 70 mins - what did they do differently at that ruck to what they did at every other fucking ruck in the game?

9 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The queues for a beer was crazy.

we were about 30min in the queue before kick off to get some drinks and decided not to bother at HT

First time at Parkhead with the disco lights. I've not wanted to join the ranks of those who slagged them off, I thought it was mostly jealousy and that they look no' bad on the telly.

But they're pants. You can get much the same effect my flicking your kitchen light on and off. They're just plain white with a couple of rubbish green spots, they're spread around in different locations and at different heights, and the whole effect is tacky. Murrayfield does it better and all they do is turn the lights off.

First time at Parkhead with the disco lights. I've not wanted to join the ranks of those who slagged them off, I thought it was mostly jealousy and that they look no' bad on the telly.
But they're pants. You can get much the same effect my flicking your kitchen light on and off. They're just plain white with a couple of rubbish green spots, they're spread around in different locations and at different heights, and the whole effect is tacky. Murrayfield does it better and all they do is turn the lights off.
The problem I noticed about the disco lights is that it needs to be dark to get the full effect.

9 hours ago, ajwffc said:
10 hours ago, GordonS said:

The problem I noticed about the disco lights is that it needs to be dark to get the full effect.

Even when it was darker at the end I thought it looked cheap, it's just a bunch of bright white lights going on and off. Maybe if they were in a continuous loop it might be better.

in the end we lost due to a charged down kick, if that had spun over the dead ball line we would have won, instead it spun back into play and Leinster score to get back in the game. Thats the fine margins against the 2nd best team in Europe.

Shame for Hogg to go out like that, and hopefully Brown recovers quickly. Thought Fagerson was immense at 8, Steyn also looked good and should get a call for the training squad for Japan on the back of his last few games.

7 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
7 hours ago, GordonS said:
Calm down man, it was a three-point game. Nobody was anybody's "bitches". 

You really don't understand the phycology of sport do you.

Yes, I do.

I also understand that many people try to back-explain and fit a narrative around all the events in order to explain an outcome, when it could very easily have gone the other way.

Yes, I do.
I also understand that many people try to back-explain and fit a narrative around all the events in order to explain an outcome, when it could very easily have gone the other way.
During the 80s and 90s Ireland were Scotland's bitches; despite many of the games being close, Scotland got over the line. Edinburgh should have beaten Munster, Glasgow could have beaten Leinster. Scotland should have beaten Ireland etc etc. When it matters the Irish teams have our number. Phycologicaly we doubt ourselves, the Irish teams don't. They know how to win the tight games over us, and this is huge going into WC. Deny it all you want.

I think it’s fair to say that Celtic park shouldn’t be used for major events with drink if yesterday was anything to go by.

Why not have stalls outside and let fans come and go? I gave up in the end and I’m guessing they lost out on quite a bit of cash, the fan zone was a joke also. One small bar for 50,000.

Enjoyed the first half though, second half Leinster just did what they do well. Pretty much anti rugby though but effective.

Gutted about the result but Leinster deserved the win.  They were boring at times but effective.  We tried to play them at their own game, i.e. play them up front.  However only Saracens know their number in that dept, so we needed to get our running rugby going but it never happened.  It MAY have been a different game had we cleared our lines after our try, instead of Hogg getting charged down. 

I was brought up a Celtic fan so came back to Celtic Park for the 1st time in 15 years.  Not really suited to rugby as it's not really big enough for fans to mingle after a game.  It's designed for fans to go to the game then go straight home again.  This is probs why because the fanzone was small with an enormous queue to the bar.  I also couldn't see the fuss about the disco lights either.  Maybe it's more of a night time thing, but it just looked a bit naff.

Also, can I ask if anyone went to the family friendly pubs in the area?  We were early so I popped into a pub to see a bit of the Scottish Cup final.  We came from Bellgrove.  However I got the impression that if you said that "Rod Stewart's rubbish", you'd risk leaving through a window lol.

One of the girls serving at the bar told my dad they were all new and in her words they "didn't know what they were doing".

Going by comments on Facebook, they were also ID'ing people in their 50's & 60's so it's no wonder the queues were so slow.

Just sounds like they hired poor event staff.