Rugby Union

kiwififer

Racing 92 are just being strict with their players the now Ben Tameifuna has been told to lose 20kg before e can play again. 

I know there is a lot of down time for players at these tourneys, but did he just eat constantly when they were idle? 160kg is about 25 stones in old money.

10 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
9 hours ago, ajwffc said:
Racing 92 are just being strict with their players the now Ben Tameifuna has been told to lose 20kg before e can play again. 

I know there is a lot of down time for players at these tourneys, but did he just eat constantly when they were idle? 160kg is about 25 stones in old money.

I think he just loves his food he was 134kg at the Chiefs,  148kg when he joined Racing in 2015 and he was 151kg at the start of the tournament. 

I remember when these reared its head that it was a bit of a grey area. Im sure it was that the owner of Saracens was investing money to get a part ownership in companies that were being set up by the players (ie providing the capital) but still getting a return on this so in theory not directly paying the players. Im sure he gave examples of personal training, gyms, bars etc at the time that were run / owned by the players.

I believe the RFU investigated and decided these companies were just a front to pay the players more 

I remember when these reared its head that it was a bit of a grey area. Im sure it was that the owner of Saracens was investing money to get a part ownership in companies that were being set up by the players (ie providing the capital) but still getting a return on this so in theory not directly paying the players. Im sure he gave examples of personal training, gyms, bars etc at the time that were run / owned by the players.
I believe the RFU investigated and decided these companies were just a front to pay the players more 
Yep, "co-investments" Saracens are calling them. Thing is, none of the companies appear to do much, and they should be fined and deducted points just for the shite company names.

Seen a few things online that suggest all that Saracens are really concerned about is getting the points reduction reduced to a level where they think they can still finish in the top 4, with 20 points being suggested as a handicap they think they can overcome.

It does beg the question about this season's squad meeting the cap though.

Round 6

Friday, November 8

Edinburgh Rugby v Dragons – KO 19:35

BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 118th Championship Appearance)

AR1: Ian Kenny (SRU), AR2: Graeme Ormiston (SRU),

TMO: Colin Stanley (IRFU)

Connacht Rugby v Leinster Rugby – KO 19:35

The Sportsground, Galway

Referee: Sean Gallagher (IRFU, 17th Championship Appearance)

AR1: Johnny Erskine (IRFU), AR2: Mark Patton (IRFU)

TMO: Leo Colgan (IRFU)

Saturday, November 9

Zebre Rugby Club v Glasgow Warriors – KO 15:00 (UK) / 16:00 (ITA)

Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, Parma

Referee: Ian Davies (WRU, 78th Championship Appearance)

AR1: Marius Mitrea (FIR), AR2: Kelvin Short (WRU)

TMO: Wayne Davies (WRU)

Ospreys v Isuzu Sothern Kings – KO 15:00 (UK) / 16:00 (SA)

Liberty Stadium, Swansea

Referee: Andrea Piardi (FIR, 4th Championship Appearance)

AR1: Ben Whitehouse (WRU  AR2: Gianluca Gnecchi (FIR)

TMO: Alan Falzone (FIR)

Cardiff Blues v Toyota Cheetahs – KO 17:15 (UK) / 19:15 (SA)

Cardiff Arms Park

Referee: Ben Blain (SRU, 4th Championship Appearance)

AR1: Mike Adamson (SRU), AR2: Fin Brown (SRU)

TMO: Andrew McMenemy (SRU)

Munster Rugby v Ulster Rugby – KO 17:15

Thomond Park, Limerick

Referee: Frank Murphy (IRFU, 28th Championship Appearance)

AR1: Rob O’Sullivan (IRFU) AR2: Paul Haycock (IRFU)

TMO: Simon McDowell (IRFU)

Scarlets v Benetton – KO 19:35 (UK) / 20:35 (ITA)

Parc y Scarlets

Referee: Andrew Brace (IRFU, 47th Championship Appearance)

AR1: Dan Jones (WRU) AR2: Stuart Gaffikin (IRFU)

TMO: Brian MacNeice (IRFU)

Read more at https://www.pro14rugby.org/match-centre/referee-appointments/#zPBlkdUP2yau15JT.99

Reminds me of Hassan Kachloul's "amateur" status at Livingston - shame the Scottish authorities were fucking spineless b*****ds about it.

5 hours ago, honestly united said:

Is this not almost entirely the same as the dodgy side contracts Rangers were dishing  out? 

Is this not almost entirely the same as the dodgy side contracts Rangers were dishing  out? 

on the face of it this is about dodging wage caps as opposed to dodging tax. It’s more like clubs that have breached UEFA’s financial fair play regulations or the tail end of Rugby’s amateur era when players might find themselves working for club sponsors in well paid jobs that weren’t very demanding

Although HMRC may be asking some awkward questions as well

From what I can gather there is nothing illegal about it, or any wider tax implications - this is just someone investing in someone else's company, and from that sense it is all above board. I think Sarries have been quite open about the fact they were doing it as they saw it as above board, and it wasn't the club per se, but the Chairman acting of his own accord to invest in companies for his own return.

However the RFU have taken the view that as there are set salary caps in place for all clubs, the fact that the owner of the club is investing in players companies, that have only just been set up is akin to additional payments ie it looks like the players are only signing as they know they will get additional income to help set up a business away from the rugby that will be a nest egg for when they retire

Edited by honestly united

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
27 minutes ago, GAD said:
Hope we tell world rugby to get fucked and drag them through every court possible.

I like the bit where any SRU apologies have to have the wording agreed with World Rugby. That's just fucking mental.

It's pathetic. We obviously embarrassed them, but that's because they are a fucking shambles. It's a matter of principle now.