Rugby Union

kiwififer

13 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Sean Maitland and Tim Swinson both scored tries as Saracens list their Championship season opener in Penzance against the Cornish Pirates. Sarries were without their English international contingent but still had 7 others with 165 caps between them starting the match.

It's a truncated league but the top 2 play a 2 legged play off to go up. Sarries will still cigar it overall. 

However the Cornish Pirates really keel hauled them. I was expecting Sarries to win all their games. 

Glasgow were pretty average yesterday but found a way to get the BP win. Ospreys lost at "home" to the Dragons which is a huge favour. We've got a game in hand over the Ospreys and I don't see them winning in Dublin in a fortnight. If we beat Ospreys at home on Friday night, then win at the Dragons the weekend after then beat Benneton at home the week after that we'll get 3rd and sneak the Champions Cup. 

However if we need to settle for 4th doesn't that give us a shout at the Champions Cup too? 

It's a truncated league but the top 2 play a 2 legged play off to go up. Sarries will still cigar it overall. 
However the Cornish Pirates really keel hauled them. I was expecting Sarries to win all their games. 
I thought they would go unbeaten too, that will be a wake up call for them that they will have a big target on their backs for every other team in the division.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:
5 minutes ago, come on shire said:

I thought they would go unbeaten too, that will be a wake up call for them that they will have a big target on their backs for every other team in the division.

Yeah, their next game next weekend is their 1st home game vs Jersey Reds. They'll cigar that imo. They won't make the same mistake twice. 

Edited by come on shire

Not feeling great about Sunday at all. This Ireland side is mince but will probably beat us in the air and at the breakdown (yes I know cheating cheating etc), NAP they do if Maitland and Ritchie are still out. 

Combine that with this team's ability to lose the head and drop off physically when it's against them, and inability to score unless it's outside the opposition 22, and it'll be another fun rollicking ride of the best Scotland team of the past 20 years letting themselves down again. 

I go back and forward on Townsend a lot but I just don't see the long term strategy here. He's said openly he's not concentrating on certain aspects of the game at the moment and seems to be building to the World Cup in the manner that most seem to be. But we can write off getting beyond the quarters if this team don't have experience of winning anything. Say what you like about Wales (and with a cool head position by position they do have excellent players) but they are great winners because they've practiced it.

The other three home nations sides are in transition and the tournament is wide open. Why then we're playing to their schedule and turning out a team that doesn't look like it practices the areas of the game where our strengths lie is a mystery to me. Townsend should have been building towards one of these mid cycle 6 nations to build a winning habit in these players. Obviously not over yet for this 6n but I don't have much confidence at all, and I think his choices are at least slightly responsible for that. 

If we keep the discpline we have a chance of winning as Ireland just rely on winning penalties and kicking.

The problem we have is we dont ever seem to back up a good result. Back in AUtumn, we had a good win away at Wales, then limped home against Italy, a narrow loss to France, then capitulation against Ireland.

We started the 6 nations with excellent result against England, then lost our discipline against Wales to lose the match. If we dont give away stupid penalties the game is there for the taking as Ireland are no great shakes at the moment.

If Glasgow find form between now and the European tie we're in with a shout. Montpellier are 11th in the Top14 and just 6 points above the relegation play off. Phillipe Saint-Andre's their head coach. If we win that we're at home to the quarters to Benneton who're bottom of Pro14 Conference B without a win or Agen who're bottom of the Top14 without a win. 

If Edinburgh beat Racing away in the Champions Cup (I doubt it) they're away again to either Bordeaux or Bristol.