Rugby Union

kiwififer

I see Rees Zammit is probably out which is good as he is the one Wales player who has caused us big problems and basically won the game for them a couple of years back. 

Brace is the ref - could be worse (hi Karl Dickson) and at least he knows the players.

Wales will try to turn it into a shitfest and milk scrum penalties off up and under knock ons. I didn’t see much from them as an attacking unit today so expect peak All Black levels of performance from them on Saturday. That and Dan Biggar diving / waving imaginary cards.

What's pleasing is we went toe to toe with them all game long. Attack was on point. Townsend wasn't happy with aspects of the performance. Discipline and defence in the 1st half was the concern for me. However we still produced a huge team effort to win at a tough away venue which is the main thing.

I noticed that England played with an aggressive attack close to our defence line. That shows Steve Borthwick's tactics as being far less conservative than Eddie Jones.

It'll be hopeless if we don't back this up next weekend. Wales's issues are deeper than just their national team. However they looked like an ageing team with poor organisation. AWJ looks finished imo. We have to be merciless next weekend.

That last penalty is hilarious when you watch it back. The ref standing there, watching it, desperately hoping it wasn't a penalty for what felt like ages as about three Scotland players are screaming at him to the point Horne is actually slapping the player over the ball on the back. He really, really did not want to give it.

I actually didn't think we played brilliantly in all honesty. Defence was a bit ropey, missed a lot of first tackles and England were making easy meters too often, but Duhan, Steyn, Jones and Sione were such a threat throughout. 

Scotland will need to defend better though against the good teams. I think Russell was getting a bit of stick, but I actually thought the English were so focused on him that it opened up gaps and he found them. He's a very brave player, he doesn't give a f**k if he gets smashed as long as he gets the ball away. Wasn't the usual bag of tricks but I think he was instrumental in the win, far more than he'll be given credit for.

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Delighted to see Marcus Smith get left looking every bit the wee w**k he is on that winning try btw

Can I surprise you and say that I quite like Marcus Smith? Albeit, and I know this could be a controversial statement, I have a soft spot for Quins.

33 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

If there was a forward pass in the buildup to our last try, it was no more forward than the one in the buildup to their second.

I think there may have been two forward passes. I think that Finn's may have been slightly forward albeit it could reasonably be argued that it was flat. Matt Fagerson's, however, appeared to be uproariously forward. Glorious.

The English were also gurning about Turner blocking Farrell when Duhan scored his wonder try. Also glorious.

Nevertheless, excellent game. Jones and Tuipulotu are a truly lovely pairing.

Edited by Allan Jacobsen