Rugby Union

kiwififer

6 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Farrell gets away with one here. The mitigation seems weak as others haven't been able to use that.

That’s an absolute scandal 😂😂

Needless to say, if that’s a Scotland player, they’re probably out of the WC.

28 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

That’s an absolute scandal 😂😂

Needless to say, if that’s a Scotland player, they’re probably out of the WC.

Need to see the full judgement but I didn't think you could get mitigation for this which is surprising. Must have been good biscuits!

That's an absolute disgrace. At this rate nothing will be done about Farrell until he paralyses or kills someone, and with the impunity he's treated with that's a genuine possibility. It's not just bad technique, he's a despicable b*****d who targets heads on purpose.

As the resident 'tackle-law' carmudgeon, even I thought Farrells tackle was poor, definitely yellow and not surprised it was later converted to a red.  

That being said, I thought that 6 games would have been harsh, but I'm suprised it's been completely overturned (I'd have given 6 reduced to 3 for some made up nonsense).

I'm a big advocate of being more lenient when looking for mitigating factors.  I could see a bit of movement that might have helped Farrell, but I struggled to really see enough in that tackle to completely overturn the bunker decision.

If they both make it to the quarter finals, it should be interesting.

Yours

aDONis

The tackle is shoulder to head level, and he leads with the shoulder in a no arms technique, the change in direction makes no difference to that

This is absolutely dreadful stuff. They implement the yellow with 10 mins for video ref to review, as they were complaining about too many red cards and video reviews taking too long, then when someone gets a red card they decide the 10 minutes isnt long enough to properly review.

Why are we having video refs if the disciplinary panels dont agree with it.

He never makes any attempt to go low. He was always aiming high, and hitting up, and caught his opponent square on the jaw.

It's a red every day of the week, at every single level.

Might as well have said "Well, he was a stand-off tackling a rampaging backrower, so he can do what he wants"

Edit for rage preventing me typing properly!

Edited by Mark Connolly

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

He never makes any attempt to go low. He was always aiming high, and hitting up, and caught his opponent square on the jaw.

Might as well have said "Well, he was a stand-off tackling a rampaging backrower, so he can do what he wants"

^^^ "Rampaging Backrower" Found

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Basically, there is not really any red cards in the tackle anymore. You don't have to go low, you don't have to wrap, and if there is any touch from another player it's not your fault. The game has just completely changed again overnight. Fully upright, swinging arm, ball dislodging tackles are back baby.

It will come across as sour grapes from Scotland fans as we are most likely the fall guy from this but it’s genuinely ridiculous that the pool stage draw was made so far in advance and the seedings based on very old rankings such that the entire top 5 going into the tournament are in two twinned groups, so only four of the top five can make the QFs and only two can make the semis. Meanwhile England (6) and Argentina (7) won’t need to beat a higher ranked team to make the semi finals, and fucking Fiji (9) won’t need to beat a higher ranked team to make the quarters. 

45 minutes ago, Donathan said:

It will come across as sour grapes from Scotland fans as we are most likely the fall guy from this but it’s genuinely ridiculous that the pool stage draw was made so far in advance and the seedings based on very old rankings such that the entire top 5 going into the tournament are in two twinned groups, so only four of the top five can make the QFs and only two can make the semis. Meanwhile England (6) and Argentina (7) won’t need to beat a higher ranked team to make the semi finals, and fucking Fiji (9) won’t need to beat a higher ranked team to make the quarters. 

Even with the old rankings making it possible, this bizarre outcome was still not very likely

The probabilities were

France drawing NZ or SA: 1/2 
Ireland then drawing the other one: 1/3 
Scotland drawing NZ or SA: 1/2 

So this situation was still a 1 in 12 risk, which is admittedly higher than the 0 in 12 chance that would have been the case if they'd left the draw till the last minute

We can bemoan the quality of the IRB's planning but should remember that there's also a large dollop of simple bad luck involved

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)