Rugby Union

kiwififer

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

There's part of me thinks it would be hilarious if Wales were the team that beat Ireland...

Warren Gatland rugby is so horrible and ugly that if Wales were to win the World Cup te the IRB would have to change the laws to stop it happening again 

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Warren Gatland rugby is so horrible and ugly that if Wales were to win the World Cup te the IRB would have to change the laws to stop it happening again 

In fairness, Wales and England for that matter will be found out once the match up against a France, New Zealand, Ireland or South Africa. 

12 minutes ago, qos_75 said:

In fairness, Wales and England for that matter will be found out once the match up against a France, New Zealand, Ireland or South Africa. 

It’s admittedly far less of a risk this time than in Japan 

so don’t have nightmares 

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Hopefully this brings Eddie's career as an international coach to a hilarious end. Just a pity it's Wales who are getting the benefit of what is possibly the worst Aussie performance I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Talk is he’s going to get the Japan job. 

Just days before the Wallabies began their campaign in France, the Sydney Morning Herald reports Jones took part in a Zoom interview with Japanese rugby officials on August 25, dialling in from Paris two days ahead of Australia’s eventual 41-17 demolition by France.

1 hour ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

40 points without a bonus point. Australian discipline has been horrendous. Wales are absolute bobbins but pumped an even worse Australia 

Yep. I'm struggling to think of a worse Australia team in my lifetime. Yes they're missing Skelton but still. 

5 hours ago, Eednud said:

Just days before the Wallabies began their campaign in France, the Sydney Morning Herald reports Jones took part in a Zoom interview with Japanese rugby officials on August 25, dialling in from Paris two days ahead of Australia’s eventual 41-17 demolition by France.

If you can post some screenshots of the Aussie papers over the next couple of days that would be grand. 

20 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

If you can post some screenshots of the Aussie papers over the next couple of days that would be grand. 

These are from The Australian and Sydney Morning Herald websites today. They will have most coverage in tomorrow’s editions. It’s Grand Final week in both the AFL and NRL so that’s where most media coverage will be focused and really outside these two newspapers the rest give RU less coverage than football.

IMG_1753.png

IMG_1754.png

5 minutes ago, Eednud said:

These are from The Australian and Sydney Morning Herald websites today. They will have most coverage in tomorrow’s editions. It’s Grand Final week in both the AFL and NRL so that’s where most media coverage will be focused and really outside these two newspapers the rest give RU less coverage than football.

IMG_1753.png

IMG_1754.png

Has a coach ever been binned mid tournament before? 

11 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

40 points without a bonus point. Australian discipline has been horrendous. Wales are absolute bobbins but pumped an even worse Australia 

Im semi clued up on the Rugby, although there is still fouls given which I am none the wiser for, but regarding Bonus Points; why did SA get a losing bonus point against Ireland when they had only scored one try? I assume you need to be within so many points of your opponents as well as scoring a try?  Is it that simple? 

11 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Im semi clued up on the Rugby, although there is still fouls given which I am none the wiser for, but regarding Bonus Points; why did SA get a losing bonus point against Ireland when they had only scored one try? I assume you need to be within so many points of your opponents as well as scoring a try?  Is it that simple? 

If you lose by seven points or less then you get a losing bonus point.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

If you lose by seven points or less then you get a losing bonus point.

I see. Annoying that after Scotlands good play against SA we couldn’t stay within 7 to get that BP, but with that result on Saturday we are effectively out aren’t we? 

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I see. Annoying that after Scotlands good play against SA we couldn’t stay within 7 to get that BP, but with that result on Saturday we are effectively out aren’t we? 

We need to beat Ireland by 8 points, or maybe Tonga will get that big upset everyone has been telling us they would get against one of the big teams. Although, I think when everyone said that they meant us, not South Africa.

4 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

It will be very difficult - basically need bonus point win against Romania and then beating Ireland without them getting a bonus point.  

This is assuming that nothing mad happens like Tonga beating South Africa.

17 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Assuming we get a bonus point win against Romania and South Africa get a bonus point win against Tonga

We'd go into our final game 
South Africa: Pld, 4 Pts 15
Ireland: Pld 3, Pts 14
Scotland: Pld 3, Pts 10

Beating Ireland by 7 or less would see them on 15 and us on 14. Ireland would top the group on head to head with SA

Beating Ireland by more than 7 would see us tied in 2nd on 14 points and we'd go through on head to head with Ireland

Scoring 5 Tries against Ireland to win by less than 7 would put all three sides on 15

My reading of the rules is that under those circumstances South Africa would probably top the group and then Scotland would take 2nd on the head to head (but that depends quite how much the  Springboks put past Tonga)

ETA: But you get at least one team in the Quarter Finals regardless

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)