Rugby Union

kiwififer

I thought Barnes was excellent, but it is unusual for Ireland to be reffed properly like that. Porter genuinely didn't know what to do when he was told to scrum legally, he actually couldn't do it. Also, Ireland had to commit far more players to rucks as they weren't allowed to flop on the wrong side the way they were against us, so they lost a man or two from the defensive line, and New Zealand could attack off much quicker ball. Makes the "can't blame refs" crowd look even stupider when the differences between last night and last week are so stark.

In saying that, even losing the usual advantage Ireland pushed NZ right to the limit, they are a really good team and the match probably came down to the Jordie Barrett hold up, an amazing bit of defence. Ireland are a great team, who definitely could have won the whole thing, making this latest QF exit even funnier.

15 minutes ago, GAD said:

I thought Barnes was excellent, but it is unusual for Ireland to be reffed properly like that. Porter genuinely didn't know what to do when he was told to scrum legally, he actually couldn't do it. Also, Ireland had to commit far more players to rucks as they weren't allowed to flop on the wrong side the way they were against us, so they lost a man or two from the defensive line, and New Zealand could attack off much quicker ball. Makes the "can't blame refs" crowd look even stupider when the differences between last night and last week are so stark.

In saying that, even losing the usual advantage Ireland pushed NZ right to the limit, they are a really good team and the match probably came down to the Jordie Barrett hold up, an amazing bit of defence. Ireland are a great team, who definitely could have won the whole thing, making this latest QF exit even funnier.

Barnes is probably the best ref going.  And that definitely wasn’t always the case. Fair play to him for that.  

33 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Barnes is probably the best ref going.  And that definitely wasn’t always the case. Fair play to him for that.  

It says a lot about Barnes that the teams that have the biggest problem with him are France, Ireland, SA and New Zealand. Teams that expect "big team" reffing.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Do video referees in rugby have a higher status than VAR in football? Compare the faffing about with the disallowed Scotland goal to Barnes being told "I'm going to show you the deliberate knock-on." Surely the referees judgement is final?

36 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

Do video referees in rugby have a higher status than VAR in football? Compare the faffing about with the disallowed Scotland goal to Barnes being told "I'm going to show you the deliberate knock-on." Surely the referees judgement is final?

It is referees call is final. It has changed over the years- TMO is more involved and also with the advent of big screens referees now do reviewing themselves.

Barnes had already called the deliberate knock on, the TMO just wanted to show him cover situation for a yellow. 

6 hours ago, GAD said:

Aye, I was slagging him early on because his chuminess with some players always winds me up. But that being said he was excellent last night, and your later comment that it's all the teams who expect to be reffed to their preferences who have a problem with him is spot on

Edited by GHF-23