Rugby Union

kiwififer

Johna was unique. But Dunhan is definitely the greatest winger to pull on a Scotland top and on form is probably one of the best in the world at the moment.

9 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Johna was unique. But Dunhan is definitely the greatest winger to pull on a Scotland top and on form is probably one of the best in the world at the moment.

Lomu was probably about the same size as Duhan, but he was up against guys who were 5’10 and 13 stone like Cammy Murray.  

Now, VDM is pretty much a prototypical winger, and guys like Darcy Graham are the freaks. 

Edit; can’t wait to having a back three of Graham, Kinghorn and. VDM again. 

Edit again:  the development of wingers and locks has been exponential in my time watching rugby.  You rarely see locks built like Doddie Weir anymore.  They’re all built like number 8s now. 

Edited by Savage Henry

I see there are articles going round the media - the Telegraph in this case - about international rugby's eligibility rules being ridiculous and needing overhauled.

Funny how this always comes up when Scotland beat England and not when Ireland do, considering Scotland had two residency qualified players in their 23 at the weekend to Ireland's three.

8 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Lomu was probably about the same size as Duhan, but he was up against guys who were 5’10 and 13 stone like Cammy Murray.  

Now, VDM is pretty much a prototypical winger, and guys like Darcy Graham are the freaks. 

Edit; can’t wait to having a back three of Graham, Kinghorn and. VDM again. 

Edit again:  the development of wingers and locks has been exponential in my time watching rugby.  You rarely see locks built like Doddie Weir anymore.  They’re all built like number 8s now. 

I see Graham has picked up a new injury just as he was close to coming back, and it’s expected to be ‘long term’. Seems to be really unlucky with injuries.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

I see there are articles going round the media - the Telegraph in this case - about international rugby's eligibility rules being ridiculous and needing overhauled.

Funny how this always comes up when Scotland beat England and not when Ireland do, considering Scotland had two residency qualified players in their 23 at the weekend to Ireland's three.

I read it and it made no mention about how players are eligible for us just that we have the most not born in Scotland. But the fact that they are going after us for a change means we must be doing something good 

Huw Jones signs a new 2 year deal with Glasgow. A lot of the fans had packed his bags for him thinking he was as good as off to Montpellier as the rumours suggested.

Scotland have announced their first summer tour game. Saturday 6th July away to Canada in Ottawa.

Edited by come on shire

Also  seen USA on the 13th, Chile on the 20th and Uruguay on the 27th. We have pissed off the Pacific Islands as it was originally announced in 2022 that we were going there.

10 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I love how these articles always gloss over the fact that England, despite having the biggest player pool of anyone, have been abusing the system since the invention of international rugby

Yes, they genuinely think it's different when they do it.

They also keep going on about how the residency rules need looked at, whilst insinuating it's those that Scotland are "exploiting" but never address the point that the only residency players that regularly play for Scotland are DVM, Schoeman and a nearly retired WP Nel. All big losses, but not insurmountable. It's not as if there is a big raft of recently retired/dropped ones.

The vast majority of our "born or raised abroad" group they like to talk about were born or raised in England, to Scottish parents who were there for work. Funnily enough, a few of England's born abroad guys are the same the other way, born in Scotland. That's the UK in 2024 lads, time to get used to it.

CBA with the player's origins chat, everyone does it to some extent or another. The only change I would potentially make is disallowing grandparent qualifications, and certainly not to residency as even before they moved it 5 years I don't think it should be out of order to play for a country you have lived in for multiple years (and in many places outside of the UK you could gain citizenship). 

Watched the game back this morning - eating humble pie about our locks and Dalziel as I think the lineout has worked about as well as it can given the personnel available, thought Cummings and to a lesser extent Gilchrist were quietly excellent.

I'm back to being a bit "what do we do with Blair Kinghorn" though, Paterson is probably too young for a proper run at the moment but he seemed much more secure under the high ball. Other than the kick off and a couple of contested ones Blair looked a bit ropey. He's a wonderful rugby player but he has real deficiencies in both the positions he seems determined to play.  

Bit of a tartan specs one as we could have been just as guilty but Brace at the breakdown - when players are very obviously illegally doing something illegal why are you always warning and never penalising them. Multiple handling errors, or England breakdown penalties, directly followed the ball being slowed down by blatant flopping over the ball pretending to jackal 

11 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Also  seen USA on the 13th, Chile on the 20th and Uruguay on the 27th. We have pissed off the Pacific Islands as it was originally announced in 2022 that we were going there.

I read that on the Wikipedia page for the summer fixtures but I genuinely don't know how accurate that is.  The BBC website simply mentions it's to be followed by a match away to the USA then followed on into South America.  However that would add up I'd wager.  

Even though they're all test matches I'd think that it'll be a wider squad used to encourage the development of depth.  However some experience heads will be needed.  For example since Darcy Graham has a long term injury but it'll be useful to give him game time. 

5 hours ago, peasy23 said:

South Africans have been following a team that wins a lot for decades and are a shower of arseholes

Ireland have been really good for a while and their fans are already  catching up on the Boks support in the arrogant, entitled w****r stakes

It’s amazing that Kiwis aren’t more obnoxious than they are

20 hours ago, come on shire said:

I read that on the Wikipedia page for the summer fixtures but I genuinely don't know how accurate that is.  The BBC website simply mentions it's to be followed by a match away to the USA then followed on into South America.  However that would add up I'd wager.  

Even though they're all test matches I'd think that it'll be a wider squad used to encourage the development of depth.  However some experience heads will be needed.  For example since Darcy Graham has a long term injury but it'll be useful to give him game time. 

He might not even be fit by then.

The South America tour if it goes ahead looks like a good one tbf. I'm expecting a good few of the big names will be given the summer off, especially the ones who play abroad, and it will be a mix of the better youngsters and some of the more fringe players. Got a few guys might be returning from injury as well, like Johnny Gray.