Rugby Union

kiwififer

A bit nervous about the game. Scotland is very much a "future" squad and the heat isn't quite what we're used to whereas Canada, whilst not qualifying for the world cup last year, have established pros playing in the North American Major League Rugby even if it's still at a developing standard. Also it's an astro turf pitch due to the Ottawa Redblacks Canadian football team playing there.

On the other hand, there is still some experience in there tonight such as Sutherland, Matt Fagerson and Steyn. Also a lot of the new guys have become established at their clubs. 

In other news, in the early hours of Friday morning Samoa won at home to Italy.

I'm quite looking forward to it in all honesty, I think these are the guys who need the exposure and games, and I think there are some good players there. 

Watch us drop the first kick off and immediately give away a penalty now.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, GAD said:

Not a great start....

Getting on the wrong side of ref and general incompetence. Good reply though.

Edited by Snobot

3 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Getting on the wrong side of ref and general incompetence. Good reply though.

I don't even know how they can be on the wrong side of the ref, yet here we are. He's penalised everything from Scotland, including one where the guy was clearly pinned in the ruck and the ball was available, yet missed two blatant off the ball tackles before our first try.

Not a bad first half, looked dangerous whenever we've had the ball, which we probably haven't had enough to be fair. Richardson, Patterson, Warr and Dobie the standouts for me so far. Back row been decent in the carry, but we haven't really troubled them at the breakdown on their own ball much. Ref had a weird meltdown in the first ten mins, but fine since, though that free kick at the end was a strange one, obstruction before set up? Never seen that before as a free kick anyway.

Bad start when we lost 4 penalties which allowed them to march us up the park for their try.

However we recovered well. Our attack has been good and we recovered in defence after their try by forcing them into a couple of knock ons and turning the ball over on our try line.

There's still a 2nd half to go and play can loosen when changes are made en masse. That backwards clock though...

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Bad start when we lost 4 penalties which allowed them to march us up the park for their try.

However we recovered well. Our attack has been good and we recovered in defence after their try by forcing them into a couple of knock ons and turning the ball over on our try line.

There's still a 2nd half to go and play can loosen when changes are made en masse. That backwards clock though...

Ha ha, yeah, I hate that clock.

ETA, it's going the right way now!

Edited by GAD

Not sure how much you can take from that, but it was fun, with some lovely tries. So much pace in that backline, they were great to watch.

10 debutants, 11 tries. A good day at the office.

Part of me wondered what’s the point of playing a team so far below us, but the reality is that if we don’t give them the exposure, the gap will never close and the World Cup will remain full of massive mismatches. And it was so much more fun than Australia v Wales which really was two bald men fighting over a comb.  

3 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

The u-20 world trophy seems like a bit of a joke. Half these teams needing cut and make it into a straight knockout for the competition 

Until we lose by 60 points to Spain. 

17 hours ago, GAD said:

Ha ha, yeah, I hate that clock.

ETA, it's going the right way now!

I've asked my family in Canada if this happens in Canadian TV sports regularly. If it does then I'm surprised South Park haven't ripped them for it like they did back in the day with Terrence and Phillip parodies.

I've looked at the US squad and they're all mainly in the MLR like the Canadians last night. 

However AJ McGinty, who plays for Bristol Bears is their star player. When they beat us in Houston he ran the show. However he's 34 now...

6 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Even then, it can't be good for Samoa and Hong Kong to get battered by this. What do those players learn from it?

If we hadnt been relegated from the top tier, then lost the final last year, we wouldnt have had to pull the stunt of holding the tournament just to get a chance at getting back to the top tier.