Rugby Union

kiwififer

The NRL are just out to kill us off. They would never give as harsh a punishment as that to a NSW or QLD side and showed their anti-Melbourne bias.

Pish, didn't the Bulldogs lose all their points a few years ago after they were found to be cheating the salary cap as well? The Storm cheated and were rightly punished.

That said I still think they should have been forced to immediately comply with the salary cap and then allowed to win points for this season. And I genuinely hope the team do survive this. That'll only happen if fans like yourself stick with them.

Im right here.

No matter what, me and my mates will continue to be members of our beloved Melbourne Storm. We had a fans day today for a sneak peak at our new stadium AAMI Park which is quality and watched the team train and heaps of members turnt out and the fans will continue to turn up. The NRL are just out to kill us off. They would never give as harsh a punishment as that to a NSW or QLD side and showed their anti-Melbourne bias. Im pretty much devastated because it could maybe be the end for us since sponsors are dropping off and nothing to play for now. Even though it doesnt excuse what Waldron and co did im very sure we arent the only club to have been salary cap breaching lately and a number of other clubs would have been doing it aswell but have just not had the NRL sniffing about them for ages and have a whistleblower on them. Fair enough take the points we have accumulated this season so far off us but to make us play all season and have no points to get is ridiculous and is only to kill us off, why dont they start sniffing about the other clubs aswell. Hopefully we bounce back from this and I know we have loyal fans who will stick behind the team.

To think OF fans are paranoid tongue.gif

Ach, as with swarley, I hope you survive. It's not as if yer the only side to cook the books wink.gif

Pish, didn't the Bulldogs lose all their points a few years ago after they were found to be cheating the salary cap as well? The Storm cheated and were rightly punished.

That said I still think they should have been forced to immediately comply with the salary cap and then allowed to win points for this season. And I genuinely hope the team do survive this. That'll only happen if fans like yourself stick with them.

They were found out and had points taken off them and handed a paltry fine compared to the massive punishment we have got which is just out to kill us off, and now the NRL are thinking on suspending us for the rest of the season, basically they want us to be no longer. When we started up long before you arrived here the NRL and everyone up in NSW and QLD were smarting we wouldnt survive and we would struggle beyond belief but they didnt like the fact we were successful on and off the pitch. Its true the NRL would never have given as harsh a punishment to a NSW or QLD side, who no doubt plenty of them will have been doing the same thing but the NRL will rather turn a blind eye to it, they said they wouldnt investigate them untill there was whistleblower :rolleyes: typical. Melbourne fans are passionate and we will definitely be sticking behind our team but that in itself cant keep our club afloat, we need sponsors and so far they are all dropping off :(

Take our points off us we have accumulated so far this season but dont take them all off us the entire season, thats the kick in the teeth the NRL would no doubt be hoping spells the ed for us.

Edited by Bluenose5

Dramatic finish to the regular season in the Magners' League. On the Final weekend (May 8th)... Munster [44pts] travel to Cardiff [40pts], in the fight for the last play-off place. If Cardiff win without a bonus point, Edinburgh [40pts] can still nick in but only by beating table-toppers Leinster.

Anyone else going to the Magic Weekend this weekend? I'm not goin today because of the big Airdrie game but I will be there tomorrow specifically because Saints are playing (but it looks the best dayin my opinion any way )in what should be a cracking day just like it was last year (I went on the Saturday and the atmosphere was cracking everyone was friendly, there was singing and all the stalls were great. They had IRN - BRU stalls, curry, pies and burgers etc) the only downside being Saints got thumped by Wigansad.gif . I hope/think it will be just as good this year if not better and I see a Saints win biggrin.gif .

COME ON YOU SAINTS!

The whole Melbourne Storm debacle has shocked me. I really didn't see this coming. You have to wonder about the Storms future as they have to pay back a heck of a lot of money and with all (?) of their sponsers pulling out you have to wonder. The onlyway you could really see them surviving is if all their fans stick by them (which it sounds like they're doing) and if they sold all their top players (Slater, Inglis, Smith and Cronk) and any other high earners. I'd love to see any of those four previously mentioned in Super League (especially Saints!) but I'd think that only really Warrington or Wigan could afford them. Maybe even Leeds as well but I'm sure they'd have to sell some of their top players if they were going to buy top players from the storm.

We will stay alive airdrieman just that NRL are trying their best for us not to. Now the NRL are saying that we cant have our squad stay together for next season after our players said theywill take paycuts and want to all stay together. So even if some of our high earners take paycuts and we have a full squad under the cap the NRL still dont like that :rolleyes: they say it is because our squad has been illegally assembled even thought the 4 main players they are referring to (Slater, Inglis, Smith and Cronk) have all come up through the Melbourne system, so how can it be illegally assembled?? Not all of our sponsors have left just the platinum sponsors ME Bank, HostPlus and Skins, sponsors like Suzuki and Jayco have stayed on just like all our loyal fans, plus the team contunues to play very well even though for no points outclassing NZ Warriors 40-6 and last night up at Dairy Farmers beating North Queensland 34-6. Play our first game at our new home stadium this upcoming weekend against Brisbane :) , so hopefully another win although will be tough with alot of our players playing rep rugby for Australia on the Friday and the city vs country clash aswell. Good to see players like Duffie step up lately and play well though.

Anyone else going to the Magic Weekend this weekend? I'm not goin today because of the big Airdrie game but I will be there tomorrow specifically because Saints are playing (but it looks the best dayin my opinion any way )in what should be a cracking day just like it was last year

Just about to head down. Was going to get a weekend ticket but settled for the Sunday on the off-chance the County game mattered for something. Don't regret going despite the score, decent day out.

Have to confess to not being an avid follower, but I'll watch it when it's on the BBC and find it decent entertainment. Weather's not too bad, so a fine day in store.

We will stay alive airdrieman just that NRL are trying their best for us not to. Now the NRL are saying that we cant have our squad stay together for next season after our players said theywill take paycuts and want to all stay together. So even if some of our high earners take paycuts and we have a full squad under the cap the NRL still dont like that rolleyes.gif they say it is because our squad has been illegally assembled even thought the 4 main players they are referring to (Slater, Inglis, Smith and Cronk) have all come up through the Melbourne system, so how can it be illegally assembled?? Not all of our sponsors have left just the platinum sponsors ME Bank, HostPlus and Skins, sponsors like Suzuki and Jayco have stayed on just like all our loyal fans, plus the team contunues to play very well even though for no points outclassing NZ Warriors 40-6 and last night up at Dairy Farmers beating North Queensland 34-6. Play our first game at our new home stadium this upcoming weekend against Brisbane smile.gif , so hopefully another win although will be tough with alot of our players playing rep rugby for Australia on the Friday and the city vs country clash aswell. Good to see players like Duffie step up lately and play well though.

Thanks for that. I don't really know much about it as rugby league coverage here is a joke hence why I thought all the sponsers had left and that the storm would struggle to stay afloat but thankfully they will. Speaking of coverage I heard there was about fourteen pages about the storm in a newspaper (in Britain you'd be lucky if you found a rugby league story with fourteen lines) and that rugby league is constantly in the news and in the back pages. If only it was like that here.

How awful are Hull KR?

Yeah they were awful and were well beaten by a good Saints side biggrin.gif . I feel sory for the Hull KR fans though that came all the way up from Hull to see their team get alienated. The saints game was class and shows that Saints aren't in a transistional period.

The other games were good too the Castleford Catalans game better than I thought it would be and Wigan Huddersfield good with Wigan although I expected a closer game as Huddersfield were well beaten.

Yeah they were awful and were well beaten by a good Saints side biggrin.gif . I feel sory for the Hull KR fans though that came all the way up from Hull to see their team get alienated. The saints game was class and shows that Saints aren't in a transistional period.

The other games were good too the Castleford Catalans game better than I thought it would be and Wigan Huddersfield good with Wigan although I expected a closer game as Huddersfield were well beaten.

Some of the fans weren't pleased. Did you see that really angry lad run down the stairs after Saints went 52-0 up? He looked as if he wanted to get on and kick their heads in. Shouting 4 letter words half of the time and giving them w****r signals. When the HKR players came over to applaud he just ran down and shouted "f**k off you bunch of useless fucking wankers!" quite ammusing although Hull KR were awful. Saints were good though. Kyle Eastmond, seriously, what a player. He really took the piss out of the awful Hull KR defence. 54-0 wasn't flattering one bit. Rovers didn't even look like getting a point. Sets it up nicely for a Saints V Wigan final though. I would be happy if Hull KR got in the play-offs, although tha won't happen. For the past 3/4 games we have looked like a Championship side.

Some of the fans weren't pleased. Did you see that really angry lad run down the stairs after Saints went 52-0 up? He looked as if he wanted to get on and kick their heads in. Shouting 4 letter words half of the time and giving them w****r signals. When the HKR players came over to applaud he just ran down and shouted "f**k off you bunch of useless fucking wankers!" quite ammusing although Hull KR were awful. Saints were good though. Kyle Eastmond, seriously, what a player. He really took the piss out of the awful Hull KR defence. 54-0 wasn't flattering one bit. Rovers didn't even look like getting a point. Sets it up nicely for a Saints V Wigan final though. I would be happy if Hull KR got in the play-offs, although tha won't happen. For the past 3/4 games we have looked like a Championship side.

I didn't hear what he was saying but I seen him laugh.gif . TBH I wouldn't have been to pleased either.Actually I would have been extremely pissed off! Yeah you're right Saints looked really good and right now it looks like a Saints v Wigan grand final which would be class but hey rugby league's a funny old game! Yeah Kyle Eastmond's a fantastic player. He's filled Sean Long's boots superbly which is some achievement considering how much of a legend Sean Long is.

Edited by airdrieman

As for Hull KR well they coild make the play offs as they've not performed bad in some games they've played that I've seen on the tv but they were atrocious on Sunday so clearly they need to work on their consistency.

I really hope the Magic Weekend returns to Murrayfield. I've really enjoyed it the last two years it's been a great day out with top quality rugby, banter between all sets of fans (even rival ones like me getting a ripping from the Wigan during their game because they seen me with my Saints top onlaugh.gif ) and in general it's just been smashing. I've heard it could be in Dublin or Manchester next year so we'll just have to wait and see and, hopefully we'll be there at Murrayfield next year.

I enjoyed the Castleford-Catalans game; closest game of the day and the Dragons made the favourites work for it. Easy to see why both teams are struggling, but good fun.

Huddersfield rolled over a bit after a promising start. Wigan look strong. As for Hull KR... as sorry as I feel for their decent support, :lol:

The clubs will decide in June whether or not to continue with the Magic Weekend. If it does go ahead I can't see it happening in Dublin as you need to go by boat/aeroplane, which is more expensive for fans and the teams. It is easier to play in Edinburgh. The Grand Final is in Manchester and with Old Trafford being used for Premiership games that could be difficult. Also, they used to have it in Cardiff, but Wales already have a rugby league team so I can't see it happening there either. I heard it might go to London, but with the challenge cup final and Quins having a team, that is unlikely.

I would put my money on it returning to Edinburgh. However, at this moment in time I would bet against it even taking place.

Think you're right, Mr CurryCider. I enjoyed it, but playing in front of a stadium at 1/3 of capacity can't be inspiring and it's hard to believe organisers had these kind of attendances in mind when the idea was put on the table.

Presumably the Magic Weekend isn't part of any Tv deal? You'd think the cash from that would be decent, but I read one of the coaches talking about staging a similar event in Yorkshire (Elland Road) and Lancashire (Reebok) where full houses would be all but certain.

Having said that, Richard Lewis seems to be fairly upbeat.

BBC Link

Yeah I seen that on BBC Sport which is good smile.gif .

Also Mick Potter will be leaving Saints at the end of the season. He's done okay I suppose in his time in here although if we win a trophy then he will definitley have been a success although, this year it will be a lot harder to win something as the majority of Super League teams look good enough to win something! Although even if he doesn't win anything then his time will still have been a success as he's bought in and nurtured loads of young players like Kyle Eastmond(who is a smashing player and will one day be England's top player), Jamie Foster, Johnny Lomax, Sean Magennis, Chris Dean and Gary Wheeler etc who I'm sure will go on to have great success at Saints and win plenty of trophys and England.

Surprisingly you can't move at the moment for this story. Even programmes that aren't sports related are talking about it. The not being allowed to win any future points this season is an interesting one. They've basically now got nothing to play for, why would the fans turn out to see the games? Will surely lead to the death of the Storm which is sad especially since they were about to move into a spanking new stadium.

Will not be the death mate, we had 24,000 at our last home game after the turmoil.

Looking forward to the new stadium in a couple of days.