Rugby Union

kiwififer

Australia taking a massive risk here. They've invited 15 blokes off the street to play Argentina tonight. Gutsy but they are only leading 14-13 with 13 mins left.

Edit to add: actually no my mistake it's their first XI! :lol: Go the Pumaaaaaaaaas :thumsup2

Edited by Swarley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24153506

Danny Brough nominated for Man of Steel award. He used to play for Scotland, think he's involved with the England squad now.

Edit - I'm talking pish, he is apparently committed to Scotland. http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-league/live/match-reaction/37182/brough-will-play-for-scotland

Edited by ICTChris

Cool....well done the Warriors! Must be near the top of the league!

Yeah, and I think they will be challenging this season. They bottled it a wee bit last year. Hopefully this will be different, seem a lot more resolute. It's great for Scotland as well. Lot's of good young players coming through.

Townsend has done a great job. Few years and he'll be in the big job if he keeps this up.

Yeah, and I think they will be challenging this season. They bottled it a wee bit last year. Hopefully this will be different, seem a lot more resolute. It's great for Scotland as well. Lot's of good young players coming through.

Townsend has done a great job. Few years and he'll be in the big job if he keeps this up.

A few media folk have tipped Glasgow for the title based on them largely adding to a decent squad whilst others have lost key players. Warriors have been progressing year on year and the set-up is starting to look very good. Sean Lineen should take some credit for it too and whilst Townsend was a dubious choice, but he is justifying himself after a lot were dubious of his role at the SRU.

Tonight's game was not Glasgow at their best. They were missing DTH, Weir, Maitland, Matawalu and others yet still looked like they had the strength in depth. Even off the bench tonight, Strauss came on and was a beast and once again after 65 minutes they looked like they had more in the tank than their opponents. The style of rugby is good too. The kicking was poor, but I think the ref covered for a lot of Leinster's mistakes particularly in the scrum where I think Glasgow largely dominated. Leinster never looked like getting over the whitewash but Glasgow will be kicking themselves for giving the LBP and not racking up a bigger margin.

The way the Warriors is being run by the SRU isn't bad either. I think a few years ago the crowd against Cardiff was something like 1800-2000, this year it was 5000 sell out and Scotstoun is looking too small! Scottish football teams should take note of a few of the ideas, and try to progress themselves.

We have Sky getting involved with the Pro 12 next year and the league looks like coming of age if the Heineken Cup issues can be sorted.

Thought Glasgow were excellent again last night, will be even better when we sort out the scrum and line out which still isn't functioning properly. But to be top after 3 games beating Cardiff ulster and Leinster is no mean feat.

And with 4 off the best players missing yesterday then we are only going to get better.

I thought moving to scottstoun was a good move, but after selling out (or close to) I'm thinking they could do with a bit of a bigger stadium now

Any thoughts on the proposed Heineken Cup breakaway? Seems to be turning into the right bun fight.

England are all for it and Premiership Rugby is driving it to be a controlling influence in the league. It seems to me that behind the whines of meritocratic admission to Europe competition, it really is a cash and a power grab from England. The HC is a good competition at the moment.

The French clubs like aspects of the proposals and are said to be with the English (if you trust the French clubs), but the French Union told them to stop being silly and get back to negotiating with ERC about the HC. Scotland, Ireland, Italy and Wales are dead against as they are marginalised.

The Welsh clubs would probably jump at it (you'd imagine since they always want to play in the 'M4 motorway league') but would have to break rank with WRU to go it. Mentioned that Ireland would have a funding shortfall without the HC for it's pro teams. Indeed there is talk Ireland would not participate in the 2015 World Cup (hard to be believed to be honest).

SANZAR is getting involved worrying that a competition that enriches English clubs could see the top talent leave Super Rugby and move to England, esp if Premiership clubs get their way with removal of salary caps etc.

If so many unions are against it and some insist only ERC can organise Euro tournaments then it would be tough for the IRB to sanction it (if so many unions object). Could we see a Euro competition sans England in 2014- it's happened before.

Edited by flyingscot

Its a bit of events overtaking legal agreements.

When the Heineken was set up, each country was guaranteed a certain number of entries each year to both the competitions and it was up to the individual unions to decide on how the decided on their entries, back then there was no Pro12 so (if memory serves me correctly) it started as the 4 district teams entering in the days before professional rugby in Scotland, when actually put teams in the Amlin Challenge Cup. split i think was 3-1, same as Ireland. If you look at Italy who now have just 2 teams they enter their own league teams in the Amlin as well, which Scotland could do as we are given places just never take them up.

England and to a lesser extent france just have a problem now that the 4 countries are all in the one league. There is still competition for places, like with Ireland who are only given 3 places, but as the winners are given a free passage it gives another team from that country a place so all get in.

To be fair I dont see how a new league will be any different, as you would have to a least gaurantee 1 team from each country qualifies or the unions wont go for it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24153506

Danny Brough nominated for Man of Steel award. He used to play for Scotland, think he's involved with the England squad now.

Edit - I'm talking pish, he is apparently committed to Scotland. http://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-league/live/match-reaction/37182/brough-will-play-for-scotland

Scotland captain Danny Brough has won the award - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24341255

Watching Southland v Hawkes Bay ITM Cup. Southland awarded penalty, Scott Eade's kick so high touchies couldn't say whether it was between the posts or not so ask TMO. Not enough camera angles so back to ref who awarded the 3 points.

Another good win on the road for Glasgow. 5 out of 5 tonight against Scarlets. Not the best performance, poor discipline with Cusiter and Matawalu sinbinned and too many silly penalties- although the Italian ref was poor. Still a wins a win and Glasgow looking really strong. Heineken Cup double header against Toulon away next (that will be tough!) and then home to Exeter.

Watching Southland v Hawkes Bay ITM Cup. Southland awarded penalty, Scott Eade's kick so high touchies couldn't say whether it was between the posts or not so ask TMO. Not enough camera angles so back to ref who awarded the 3 points.

Did you see this- http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/video/worst-call-by-a-rugby-league-touch-judge-easts-tigers-south-logan-magpies-round-24-intrust-super-cup/