Rugby Union

kiwififer

• 2 weeks later...

Dylan Hartley out of the British and Irish and Kiwi and Samoan and Tongan Lions tour after being given an 11 week ban for calling ref Wayne Barnes a "fucking cheat" in yesterday's game.

Pleased about this, Hartley is an absolute throbber. Previously been banned for gouging and biting.

Dylan Hartley out of the British and Irish and Kiwi and Samoan and Tongan Lions tour after being given an 11 week ban for calling ref Wayne Barnes a "fucking cheat" in yesterday's game.

Pleased about this, Hartley is an absolute throbber. Previously been banned for gouging and biting.

Aye, he's a fud of the highest order. It was a joke he was picked ahead of Best anyway.

Total cock. Not surprised at 11 weeks given his record. Good all round.

So Hartley has now cost himself his Lions place and could also kill off his international career. In the past he has cost himself a place in England's 2007 World Cup squad due to a ban(26 weeks) for gouging Johnny O'Connor and James Haskell (both in same game). He lost out on the England captaincy in 2012 after biting

Stephen Ferris during that years Six Nations and getting a 8 week ban . He also received a 2 week for punching

Rory Best in December 2012. He also got away with a gouging incident in 2010 due to Ross Ford not making a complaint.

So Hartley has now cost himself his Lions place and could also kill off his international career. In the past he has cost himself a place in England's 2007 World Cup squad due to a ban(26 weeks) for gouging Johnny O'Connor and James Haskell (both in same game). He lost out on the England captaincy in 2012 after biting

Stephen Ferris during that years Six Nations and getting a 8 week ban . He also received a 2 week for punching

Rory Best in December 2012. He also got away with a gouging incident in 2010 due to Ross Ford not making a complaint.

Why did the citation officer not deal with it. I didn't think it was for the players to decide?

In other news, Vern Cotter has got the Scotland job. Don't know much about him.

Edited by Savage Henry

Why did the citation officer not deal with it. I didn't think it was for the players to decide?

In other news, Vern Cotter has got the Scotland job. Don't know much about him.

The rules for citing's were different and players/team could report offences if missed at the time.

Cotter is the manager of Clermont and has won the European Challenge Cup once the top 14 once been runner up 4 times and was runner up in this seasons Heineken Cup.

Why did the citation officer not deal with it.  I didn't think it was for the players to decide?

In other news, Vern Cotter has got the Scotland job.  Don't know much about him.

Doesn't actually take over until next summer, Scott Johnston will remain in charge until then.

I know we're not meant to get tribalistic and we're all one team etc., but.... noticed that all three Scots are to start for the Lions against the Baa Baas (no Jim Hamilton this time) on Saturday. I'm pleased they're all getting capped but not sure what this means for the Test matches. Can't see Hogg displacing Halfpenny but eager to see what he can do when he has some international quality centres to work with. Gray will need to play well to show he's match fit.

I know we're not meant to get tribalistic and we're all one team etc., but.... noticed that all three Scots are to start for the Lions against the Baa Baas (no Jim Hamilton this time) on Saturday. I'm pleased they're all getting capped but not sure what this means for the Test matches. Can't see Hogg displacing Halfpenny but eager to see what he can do when he has some international quality centres to work with. Gray will need to play well to show he's match fit.

I'm really surprised Gray is going on the tour. I don't expect him to finish it. That said, these guys can put themselves in the shop window as it were by playing well. This looks more like a midweek side, but then again I have no idea of the thinking behind the squad so who knows? It's probably fair to say that a greater number than usual of test places are up for grabs.

They had originally said that anyone that played in the Pro 12 or Premiership final wouldn't be picked for the Baa Baa's game as they wouldn't have had enough time training to be up to speed, but the selection goes against that (ie the team would have been pretty much all the welsh players if that was the case). Interesting selection but has no bearing on what the test team will be, but obviously always good to put in a good performance early.

I'll be supporting the Lions but I have to confess, I've stuck a tenner against them winning the Test series. The odds just seem daft - Lions are odds-on yet the bulk of the squad, including the coach, come from the Welsh set-up who have a 0-4 record against the wallabies in the last 12 months (ok, three of them were close but still) and were whitewashed in the AIs.

Unless you think that the additional I/E/S players plug gaping holes or add a huge amount to what Wales have, then I don't get the confidence people seem to have?

I'll be supporting the Lions but I have to confess, I've stuck a tenner against them winning the Test series. The odds just seem daft - Lions are odds-on yet the bulk of the squad, including the coach, come from the Welsh set-up who have a 0-4 record against the wallabies in the last 12 months (ok, three of them were close but still) and were whitewashed in the AIs.

Unless you think that the additional I/E/S players plug gaping holes or add a huge amount to what Wales have, then I don't get the confidence people seem to have?

Possibly because the Wallabies aren't up to much at the moment are are definitely beatable.

I thought the shortness of odds might have been influenced by the UK punters heavily backing the Lions but I just checked an Aussie bookie and the odds are very similar (to Ladbrokes)

To win Series (with Sportsbet.com.au)

Lions 8/13

Wallabies 11/8

Draw 25/1