Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, same_ol_g35 said:

Yeah, I agree. The Samoans managing to keep their heads and not do something stupid and get binned would be a good start. 

The hope I'm holding on to is that Japan struggle under the huge weight of expectation that's now on their shoulders. 

I doubt if Samoa will beat them, but doubt may creep in if Japan don't get off to a strong start. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Guest Bob Mahelp
13 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The hope I'm holding on to is that Japan struggle under the huge weight of expectation that's now on their shoulders. 

I doubt if Samoa will beat them, but doubt may creep in if Japan don't get off to a strong start. 

That hope looks like it's been blown out of the water already. 

I think Japan should be going for tries for the bonus point so even a losing bonus point against Scotland would take them through. 

ETA - Assuming Scotland get bonus point win against Russia

Edited by Acastus

I think Japan should be going for tries for the bonus point so even a losing bonus point against Scotland would take them through. 

ETA - Assuming Scotland get bonus point win against Russia
Nonsense. A losing bonus point against Scotland won't take them through if Scotland get a try bonus point against Japan.
Assuming Scotland get 5 against Russia

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Why? Genuine question.
Japan is part of the global rugby community. That's the norm there so heh ho.

If you like scrums and scrum pens it's great. Generally less handling errors makes for a better game to watch. 

It makes it much tougher to play running rugby and very difficult to come back from a deficit as the team in the lead can kill 90 seconds on every scrum. 

They’ll start going for tries in those situations when/if they get a couple of scores ahead, but until that happens they’re right to keep the scoreboard ticking over. It’d be very Scotland of them to pass up opportunities for easy three points to get tries then fail to get anything and end up losing.

We approached that correctly against Samoa, for all that getting the bonus ended up being tight.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I get the impression that it's only the Samoans and Scottish who want Samoa to do well today.

The rest of the rugby world (including the ITV commentators) are pretty desperate for Japan to qualify.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Nonsense. A losing bonus point against Scotland won't take them through if Scotland get a try bonus point against Japan.
Assuming Scotland get 5 against Russia

Big if. 5 points today would make Scotland either need 5 points against Japan or stop Japan getting losing bonus point. 

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
3 minutes ago, Acastus said:
Big if. 5 points today would make Scotland either need 5 points against Japan or stop Japan getting losing bonus point. 

That's my point and contradicting your last post. Regardless of what happens today, still in our own hands

How am I contradicting it? I never said it's not in our hands.