Rugby Union

kiwififer

36 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Was that the one they were trying to blame on Hogg?

No, it was something else apparently. Murray Kinsella has posted it on Twitter but to be honest it's very hard to see anything. Apparently the SA players were complaining about it at the time.

The Hogg one was never a bite, that's just the usual mental pish where fans convince themselves on the basis of a video that actually shows nothing. Bit like Haining's "eye gouge" against France a couple of seasons ago.

18 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Still think we could see price, Watson, zander Russell,...and possibly Harris and hogg involved somewhat in last test. Dvm...no chance

I think so too. I actually thought Murray and Biggar were horrendous yesterday. Apparently Biggar only passed the ball 3 times in the 60 odd minutes he was on.

I actually thought despite the blame for the defeat being laid squarely at Hogg's door, the real issues were far more widespread and that's what's so worrying. The pack were absolutely destroyed, in the loose and at the set peice. AWJ, Itoje and Lawes were nowhere. I don't think I've ever seen Furlong play so badly, Curry was just shit. They were slow to the breakdown and I barely remember them winning a turnover all game. Even the subs were awful, Owens in particular.

The back 3 were obviously bad, but I don't think they were given much opportunity to be anything else. None of them got the chance to touch the ball in an attacking sense. If he brings in the Welsh back 3, but plays exactly the same way, then it's not going to go much better for them.

6 hours ago, honestly united said:

Yes the rule of lifting in the lineout came in after I start playing, not long after the change to 5 points for a try.

I can see a few cynical teams (ie the Irish) start to jump into people to try and get cards dished out, the onus should be on both players, not just the jumper to make sure they are safe - if Murray hasn't looked before jumping he should be ust as guilty as Kolbe not looking.

Not in the rules or in practice - if you jump it's a fair contest, and two players colliding in the air is much less dangerous than one in the air and one on the ground, because the one on the ground is likely to take his opponent's legs out, leading to him landing head-first.

On the lineout, I played youth rugby in the early 90s and it was banned then, but I wasn't sure if that's because we were inexperienced and vulnerable or it was a general ban. I don't think lifting increases the risks as long as the lifters know what they're doing.

6 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

If the Lions dump the Scots lads next week due to the failures of warrenball then I'm 100% behind the boks.
I just can't support the Lions when there is no scottish representation but fully behind them when there is. Just the way I am... Incidentally I can't support any GB teams in Olympics either.

Pretty much the same, I only care about how the Scottish players get on. If England or Ireland were playing this SA team I'd be supporting SA; if it were Wales I wouldn't care much either way. As a country South Africa needs it more, and they've got some great guys playing for them.

Like Mapimpi. At the world cup the SA players had pictures of their families embossed into the numbers on their shirts to help inspire them. Mapimpi had pictures of himself because he's never had a family. How could I support Owen Farrell or Iain Henderson against him?

Pretty much the same, I only care about how the Scottish players get on. If England or Ireland were playing this SA team I'd be supporting SA; if it were Wales I wouldn't care much either way. As a country South Africa needs it more, and they've got some great guys playing for them.
Like Mapimpi. At the world cup the SA players had pictures of their families embossed into the numbers on their shirts to help inspire them. Mapimpi had pictures of himself because he's never had a family. How could I support Owen Farrell or Iain Henderson against him?
This ×100

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Not in the rules or in practice - if you jump it's a fair contest, and two players colliding in the air is much less dangerous than one in the air and one on the ground, because the one on the ground is likely to take his opponent's legs out, leading to him landing head-first.

On the lineout, I played youth rugby in the early 90s and it was banned then, but I wasn't sure if that's because we were inexperienced and vulnerable or it was a general ban. I don't think lifting increases the risks as long as the lifters know what they're doing.

I thought with the lineout it was the usual grey area fudge that rugby has been guilty of for decades where you were allowed to "support" the jumper but not "lift", which of course meant effectively the same thing. I played prop through the whole of the 90s and early 00s, with the standard two props at 1 and 3 in the lineout, best jumper at 2, second best at 4, and we were definitely lifting for the majority of that as far as I can remember.

Maybe we were just cheating c***s.

10 hours ago, GAD said:

I thought with the lineout it was the usual grey area fudge that rugby has been guilty of for decades where you were allowed to "support" the jumper but not "lift", which of course meant effectively the same thing. I played prop through the whole of the 90s and early 00s, with the standard two props at 1 and 3 in the lineout, best jumper at 2, second best at 4, and we were definitely lifting for the majority of that as far as I can remember.

Maybe we were just cheating c***s.

You're spot on, "supporting" and "boosting" were allowed, meaning you weren't allowed to help the jumper until he had actually left the ground. Pre-gripping also wasn't allowed at various levels, and there was a limit at one point on where you could support from. IIRC the guy at the front tried to use under the knee caps to hold the jumper, while the guy at the back would grab the top of the hamstring just under the arse, but they then said no lower than the top of the knee?

Been a while since I read those rules closely tbh, and even longer since I bothered to enforce them when I was reffing :whistle

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I see we are getting an Edinburgh and Glasgow Scottish Select vs Tonga match. 

We should be able to put out a strong line up. Maybe lacking a winger and needing a 10 to step up.

The 10s will be two of Thompson, Weir or Jaco surely? Probably give Thompson his debut. We won't be able to cap Ashman in that one though. I expect he's absolutely certain to at least come off the bench in one of the other games. 

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
58 minutes ago, Left Back said:
Just seen something on facebook saying 6 incidents from Saturdays game have been reported to the citing commisioner.  No ida of details.  It was wales online and I’m not clicking that.

You would assume Sinckler, Kolbe, Faf and Curry will be 4 of them.

Pretty sure the only citing is Sinckler. Wales online have run various clickbait about who should be cited along with a daily "kick out the Jocks" article.

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

Pretty sure the only citing is Sinckler. Wales online have run various clickbait about who should be cited along with a daily "kick out the Jocks" article.

Other media is reporting it as only Sinckler which is why I never clicked it.  Had the misfortune of reading one of their “articles” in the past.  Eye bleeding stuff.