Rugby Union

kiwififer

On 7/5/2016 at 0:29 PM, BuddieInDundee said:

21-0 inside 7 minutes, what a day!

They did give Patterson a go at 10 but it was far, far too late. I don't think he'd have been able to do much with what was a pretty stinking backline anyway.

We're pretty lucky to have the options we have in midfield just now, the first time in over a decade we've looked remotely menacing offensively. Couple of injuries or loss of form anywhere in the team from 1-23 and we're potentially fucked though.

What a day indeed. Remember leaving after 70 mins. Simply I'd had enough!

Never understood why Godman was so often ahead of Parks. Parks was inconsistent but there was the times when he was outstanding and he always seemed to give it his all even if he individually wasn't playing well.  

Never understood why Godman was so often ahead of Parks. Parks was inconsistent but there was the times when he was outstanding and he always seemed to give it his all even if he individually wasn't playing well.  

He was a wee favourite of Hadden's as he'd coached him at Merchiston Castle in Edinburgh.

Agree on Parks, it's a shame the media were constantly sharpening the knives in anticipation of another f**k up. When he had the confidence he was, as you said, outstanding. Think it was 2010 when he tore Ireland a new one in their last game at Croke Park, best performance by a Scottish number 10 I've seen in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

We missed the train so were late getting through and then had to walk around the stadium to get to our seats in the North end of the West stand.   The mate's missus phoned as we came through the turnstiles, 0-7. Phoned again as we got about halfway round, 0-14.   Phoned again as we were climbing the staircase, 0-21, at which point I thought it was a wind-up. Into the stadium and, no, that's the score right enough...

Didn't leave early, Scotland won the game we saw by 17-16!

:thumsup2

2 hours ago, BuddieInDundee said:

Truly dreadful. The 2014 kit is my favourite, navy blue with a white collar, no fucking about and very smart.

Didn't some punter win a design contest for that one?

2 hours ago, BuddieInDundee said:

He was a wee favourite of Hadden's as he'd coached him at Merchiston Castle in Edinburgh.

Agree on Parks, it's a shame the media were constantly sharpening the knives in anticipation of another f**k up. When he had the confidence he was, as you said, outstanding. Think it was 2010 when he tore Ireland a new one in their last game at Croke Park, best performance by a Scottish number 10 I've seen in my lifetime.

Dan Parks couldn't tackle, and would try a 60 yard drop kick every game.  He was rugby's Charlie Adam.  But what price Dan Parks now?

His initial fast tracking into the squad pissed off a lot of players. 

Also, regarding 10s, surely Townsend in Paris, 2005 would have to win that award?   There was another guy the SRU did their best to ruin by playing out of position.

Edited by Savage Henry

Dan Parks couldn't tackle, and would try a 60 yard drop kick every game.  He was rugby's Charlie Adam.  But what price Dan Parks now?

His initial fast tracking into the squad pissed off a lot of players. 

Also, regarding 10s, surely Townsend in Paris, 2005 would have to win that award?   There was another guy the SRU did their best to ruin by playing out of position.

Granted he couldn't tackle, and he was hardly composed under pressure, but out of all the 10s we had he had the capability of running a backline semi-occasionally.

I have to admit I can't really remember too much rugby pre-2006, my old man agrees however!

He was the 10 out of necessity in a dire era. He wasnt much of a passer was slow and was bordering on cowardly defensively. In recent times weir, russell, Horne, jackson have all played far better (heathcote is also probably better as is Hastings jr) and prior to him toony, chalmers and Rutherford were miles better. He was a good pro12 stand off and a fine kicker but he should never have been an international. I dont blame him and he took some unnecessary abuse but we just had no 10s at time (was even talk of mikey blair going to 10 n cus at 9) ultimately if he was in his prime now he would be nowhere near the Scotland set up. Tbf he is excellent on pro 12 commentary decent insight and a good sense of humour.

8 hours ago, dogmc said:

He was the 10 out of necessity in a dire era. He wasnt much of a passer was slow and was bordering on cowardly defensively. In recent times weir, russell, Horne, jackson have all played far better (heathcote is also probably better as is Hastings jr) and prior to him toony, chalmers and Rutherford were miles better. He was a good pro12 stand off and a fine kicker but he should never have been an international. I dont blame him and he took some unnecessary abuse but we just had no 10s at time (was even talk of mikey blair going to 10 n cus at 9) ultimately if he was in his prime now he would be nowhere near the Scotland set up. Tbf he is excellent on pro 12 commentary decent insight and a good sense of humour.

Have to agree he would get nowhere near the team now given the options we have, but at the time we had no other options at 10. Not his fault as it lookd like he always did his best, but just wasn't good enough

Have to agree he would get nowhere near the team now given the options we have, but at the time we had no other options at 10. Not his fault as it lookd like he always did his best, but just wasn't good enough

Indeed. I felt sorry for him tbh. He tried his best but he just didn't have the game to step up another level. If Patterson hadn't been dicked about early in his career parks wouldn't have had to be put in that position. It's frustrating because we had an excellent pack and scrum halves then so should have been scoring lots of tries....but as mentioned earlier even with a better 10 we had zero pace in the midfield at the time.

Indeed. I felt sorry for him tbh. He tried his best but he just didn't have the game to step up another level. If Patterson hadn't been dicked about early in his career parks wouldn't have had to be put in that position. It's frustrating because we had an excellent pack and scrum halves then so should have been scoring lots of tries....but as mentioned earlier even with a better 10 we had zero pace in the midfield at the time.

He did occasionally step it up to another level, though. Like I said before there were some games where he was outstanding. His kicking game suited us at the time as our backline was absolutely stinking at the time. I think the ability was there, but his self belief very rarely was.

I do agree, right now Russell, Weir and Horne are far better options.

Nick de Luca off to Wasps from Biarritz. I can't see him starting much but you never know.

Decent interview now on the BBC website, he admits he was on the verge of retiring until Wasps offered him a 6 month deal.

In other news Greig Laidlaw has been given the captaincy at Gloucester.

Pro 12 fixtures are out. Glasgow start off away to Connacht. Home to Leinster the following weekend.

They've done away with the Christmas and new year Edinburgh games. Still play Edinburgh at Murrayfield on Boxing Day. They travel to Glasgow for the last game of the season for the return fixture.

We'll be the ones who find out if Connacht are one-hit wonders or really are the new big boys on the block.  Potentially a hard game.  Last game of the season vs Edinburgh is mouth-watering to be honest.  I suppose a lot will depend on league standings when those games come around though. 

I'm delighted that there are no games barring Scarlets away during the Autumn tests.  Edinburgh's move to Myreside at the start of next year will be interesting to see how results go. 

Going to be tough but that's pro sport I suppose. 

37 minutes ago, Northsea80 said:

Pro 12 fixtures are out. Glasgow start off away to Connacht. Home to Leinster the following weekend.

They've done away with the Christmas and new year Edinburgh games. Still play Edinburgh at Murrayfield on Boxing Day. They travel to Glasgow for the last game of the season for the return fixture.

Tough start for Glasgow. 

1872 cup call is correct. Can understand why they want to play at Christmas back to back, but I enjoyed it when it was summer and warm at Scotstoun the time it was postponed. Certainly preferable to a rainy night. 

Only thing is whether they scrap the aggregate and go for the Christmas game as the 1872 cup? A good long gap isn't ideal.

Tough start for Glasgow. 

1872 cup call is correct. Can understand why they want to play at Christmas back to back, but I enjoyed it when it was summer and warm at Scotstoun the time it was postponed. Certainly preferable to a rainy night. 

Only thing is whether they scrap the aggregate and go for the Christmas game as the 1872 cup? A good long gap isn't ideal.

Already heard some irish fans moaning that depending on the standings going into the final one of the Scottish sides will roll over to help the other with play off places [emoji16]. Mind you couple years back Glasgow were monstering embra only to switch off in last 10 which allowed them to gain a 4 try bonus point and a losing bonus point....maybe the tinfoil hat brigade are onto something! Always think it's the fixtures during 6n which really heavily influence the table. Haven't looked but hopefully plenty of home games / Italian sides during that period. Oh and can we PLEASE have nationally neutral refs !!

Glasgow and Edinburgh fixtures is full. I don't agree in moving the 2nd leg of the double header to the last game has been well thought out? As they now have the two Scottish sides away to the Italian sides on hogmanay.

1468452442173.jpg.6d1e7ffc6f56f5c313e4bf1468452450104.jpg.46f1f0ceada0e06bfa2e6c