Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp

I was in the west stand yesterday with someone who had hardly been to a rugby game before. 

The first half lasted just short of an hour, and the stoppages were never ending. At every single stoppage in the game, water carriers and medics ran on...they must have been more knackered than the players. 

I can't ever remember being at a game where there were so many ridiculous stoppages. 

At the end, my mate (while being delighted with Scotland's win) said that he couldn't face watching a game like that every week. It was like American football, it was so stop and start. 

I think that International Rugby have to look seriously at speeding the game up, it was pretty awful yesterday. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I was in the west stand yesterday with someone who had hardly been to a rugby game before. 

The first half lasted just short of an hour, and the stoppages were never ending. At every single stoppage in the game, water carriers and medics ran on...they must have been more knackered than the players. 

I can't ever remember being at a game where there were so many ridiculous stoppages. 

At the end, my mate (while being delighted with Scotland's win) said that he couldn't face watching a game like that every week. It was like American football, it was so stop and start. 

I think that International Rugby have to look seriously at speeding the game up, it was pretty awful yesterday. 

Yeah, I was there as well and felt the same. The game just never got going and to be honest, I thought the ref had to shoulder a lot of the blame for that. At no point did he step in and hurry up lineouts for example. I managed to go for a piss and back before one of the lineouts was taken. Nobody was injured, it just took fucking ages for the Aussies to have a wee conference, then slowly walk to the line. It completely killed the atmosphere as well as every knock on was met with audible groans as we all settled in to see how long it would take the Aussie pack to actually gather at the mark.

20 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I completely agree with this;

Here's my manifesto for the game

1)  Lineout; get a lineout clock going from when ball goes out of play, maybe 30 seconds if from a penalty, 40 if opposition put it out.

2) Injured players; rolling replacements at set pieces but restricted to set piece and first phase of play.  After that, replacements are out of the game unless made permanent.

3)  Reduce the number of substitutions

4)  Allow deviation in line when defending box kicks, but no arms, grabbing or shoulder charges

5) Get TMOs the fvck out of making calls unless for the most agregious offences, punching, gouging etc.  Other than that, they only get involved with what the referee has asked them to look at.

6) Scrum; one re-set then free kick or penalty at referees discretion.

9) Kick at goal reduced to 45 seconds

10)  Maximum caterpillar of one at ruck

Yours, the self appointed commissioner of rugby

aDONis

The water carrier thing is a farce and has really got out of hand in the last few years. Every stoppage in play now there is a cavalry charge of hi-vis bibs from the sidelines.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, honestly united said:

I didn't find it too bad tomorrow, as when the ball was in play it was 2 teams at least trying to play some rugby. Its going to be much worse next week when one team actively avoids trying to play any rugby

Pretty much every chance the Saffers get, they'll boot it up in the air and hope for a knock on then scrum then a scrum penalty. 

We have to be ready for that, but the omens weren't great yesterday where we didn't compete brilliantly for the high ball. They'll undoubtedly target Hogg and Darcy, so I hope that we're working on that all week in training. 

I desperately hope that every single scrum doesn't lead to a long stoppage, but I'm not holding my breath. 

18 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Pretty much every chance the Saffers get, they'll boot it up in the air and hope for a knock on then scrum then a scrum penalty. 

We have to be ready for that, but the omens weren't great yesterday where we didn't compete brilliantly for the high ball. They'll undoubtedly target Hogg and Darcy, so I hope that we're working on that all week in training. 

I desperately hope that every single scrum doesn't lead to a long stoppage, but I'm not holding my breath. 

I thought the scrum went well in before the subs came on against Oz, so hopefully we keep the penalty count done enough to keep them out. We seemed off the pace 2nd half once Kebble and Bhatti came on, but i dont think we have much option with Sutherland out, other than maybe pulling Nel onto the bench. We could do with maybe Cummings on the bench also, a 20 mins cameo from him would be a boost. 

I think the one concern would be Graham under the high ball, however he's in good form going forward, and will be a real tussle up against Mpimpi so would be more inclined to work out how to get him more support rather than drop him for Steyn or Mclean, and im not sure either would be better under the high ball anyway - its about now you could do with Sean Maitland but id also rather be looking forward rather than backwards

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

Elton Janties has improved but he's still a bit flaky and nowhere near Pollard's accuracy from the tee.

I'm really looking forward to this. 

Has Pollard not been kicking quite badly recently? I'm sure he's been quite flaky himself.

I do think Pollard is a safer pair of hands in general though. Even that drop goal Janties scored against NZ was a bad option in my opinion. 4 mins to go and you have a penalty advantage right in front of the posts and the first thing they do is hit the drop goal was just bad game management for me. I know they won in the end, but when you are allowed 90 secs for the penalty in a one point game you really need to be milking every second.

27 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

I’m far from a rugby expert, but what’s the thinking behind Watson on the bench here?

It's quite an interesting team, be r what I'd have picked. I'm guessing Watson is on the bench to bring a bit of quality and added energy when the big SA second half subs come on. The starting back row is basically his 3 biggest guys in those positions.

Guest Bob Mahelp
On 09/11/2021 at 19:01, GAD said:

Has Pollard not been kicking quite badly recently? I'm sure he's been quite flaky himself.

I do think Pollard is a safer pair of hands in general though. Even that drop goal Janties scored against NZ was a bad option in my opinion. 4 mins to go and you have a penalty advantage right in front of the posts and the first thing they do is hit the drop goal was just bad game management for me. I know they won in the end, but when you are allowed 90 secs for the penalty in a one point game you really need to be milking every second.

I remember the Autumn test 3 years ago, which was a terrific game. 

Pollard was absolutely outstanding. Not just off the tee but in his speed of movement, his power, and his control of the game. He was the difference between the teams then, and I'm happy to see him not in the line up for Saturday. 

As to the Scotland line up, we seem to have went for weight in the scrum rather than concentrate on jackaling, and Hamish Watson must be wondering what he has to do to get a pop at the South Africans. 

I'm also surprised by the selection of Matt Scott at centre for the first time in 4 years, rather than the outstanding Chris Harris. Given that he's not in the 22, I presume that Harris is injured ? 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Harris is playing. Sam J is out. Scott has been very good for Leicester recently, he could stake a claim here.

Haining should add bulk and Watson will do his trademark carnage from the bench. 

I should have looked at the team with my glasses on 🙂