Rugby Union

kiwififer

Watching it live I thought O’Keefe was shafting us but I put that down to drink / inherent bias, but he seemed overly picky with us particularly in the first half eg the brake foot scrum f/k.  As someone pointed out, it was like the WR mandate on scrum put ins in 2018 when pretty much the only occasion it was enforced was the first game (Wales), 5 metres from our posts which set us on the way to getting humped (I think they were pinged once for it after us in that game but that was it). 

Things improved massively in the second half in terms of how O’Keefe treated us. I quite liked Berry in the Connaght Glasgow game so fingers crossed.

21 minutes ago, Snobot said:

Sam J starting for Glasgow tomorrow so presumably Redpath in for Scotland?

That's a possibility but Redpath is just back from injury.  It's a huge game in Cardiff so I'd have stuck with Johnson and Harris myself.

Having said that, he'll give some experience for Glasgow.  We really need to win to keep in those play off positions especially with Leinster playing Edinburgh tomorrow night too then the teams around us playing their 2 games in hand out in SA.

Rory Darge isn't in the Glasgow squad unfortunately.  I'm wondering if he's been called up to Scotland to cover Jamie Ritchie? 

Them:-

Wales: L Williams; Cuthbert, Watkin, Tompkins, Rees-Zammit; Biggar (capt), T Williams; W Jones, Elias, Francis, Rowlands, Beard, Basham, Morgan, Moriarty.

Replacements: Lake, G Thomas, D Lewis, S Davies, Wainwright, G Davies, Sheedy, J Davies.

Adams out injured. Debut for Morgan in back row.

Other than worries about Nel lasting a half and Sione's defence I'm loving that. McInally and Schoeman deserve the start, Skinner into the back row is a shrewd move but I'm really glad we've put 2 back rows on the bench instead of another lock. The bench is crazy strong.

Edit: Rees-Zammit (not Adams as I earlier said!) v Graham is a good match up but, and I am aware I'll probably end up eating my words here, I do t think any of the other individual matchups go against us. Their back row and midfield aren't settled at all and we should have them up front. C'mon Scotland 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

Just now, honestly united said:

Im not a fan of starting your sub 2nd row in the back row, and from what I have seen Tuipoltu has played all his rugby for Glasgow at outside centre so would have preferred Johnson starting, otherwise fairly pleased with that

I think skinner comes in because Ritchie is a very important lineout player for us, and his heft probably gives us a decent weight/physicality advantage with their BR being pretty light. Wouldn't have been my first choice, would rather Bradbury for his carrying, but I get it

As a Glasgow fan I'm looking forward to seeing Sam Johnson use his experience to help Glasgow but as a Scotland fan he should be in Cardiff first and foremost.

Rory Darge going with Scotland is a blow to Glasgow but he's due a shot in Cardiff and I hope he does well.

Friday night first though and a win is essential.

However, Nigel Carolan is taking the team as Danny Wilson has Covid...

The Glasgow squad for tomorrow night:

1. Oli Kebble (67)
2. Fraser Brown (117) (C)
3. Simon Berghan (3)
4. Scott Cummings (85)
5. Richie Gray (72)
6 Ryan Wilson (202) (C)
7. Thomas Gordon (43)
8. Jack Dempsey (11)

9. George Horne (76)
10. Duncan Weir (117)
11. Rufus McLean (17)
12. Sam Johnson (83)
13. Robbie Fergusson (12)
14. Sebastian Cancelliere (4)
15. Ollie Smith (11)

Replacements

16. Johnny Matthews (20)
17. Nathan McBeth (2)
18. Enrique Pieretto (28)
19. Kiran McDonald (44)
20. Ally Miller (4)
21. Jamie Dobie (27)
22. Domingo Miotti (1)
23. Stafford McDowall (31)

Our visitors:

Munster: Mike Haley; Shane Daly, Chris Farrell, Rory Scannell, Simon Zebo; Ben Healy, Neil Cronin; Jeremy Loughman, Diarmuid Barron, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Fineen Wycherley; Jack O’Donoghue (C), Chris Cloete, Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Josh Wycherley, John Ryan, Cian Hurley, Alex Kendellen, Paddy Patterson, Jack Crowley, John Hodnett.

Schoeman and McInally were both fantastic when they came on so both deserve their place. Nel will set the tone for the match at the first scrum which is important. Wales always f**k around at the first scrum and refs are often harsh on Zander because of his long body position. 

Skinner fixed the maul and shored up the line out and we have crazy work rate from Matt F and Watson so being a bit slower at 6 shouldn't be an issue. 

Tuipulotu gives me the fear in defense and if he gives away a penalty for commando rolling after being tackled I'll be in danger of smashing the telly. I get the feeling GT has looked at how Finn combines with Vakatawa for Racing and thinks he can do something but he's risking another Cornell Du Preez or Gary Graham selection here. 

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I think skinner comes in because Ritchie is a very important lineout player for us, and his heft probably gives us a decent weight/physicality advantage with their BR being pretty light. Wouldn't have been my first choice, would rather Bradbury for his carrying, but I get it

I think I would rather have gone with Cummings on the bench over 1 of Darge and Bradbury, but its a tough call though. Im not against Skinner at 6, but we fronted up well against England with Ritchie and Watson, so I think we could have copied with Darge and Watson against Wales, would have been more dynamic / mobile

46 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I think I would rather have gone with Cummings on the bench over 1 of Darge and Bradbury, but its a tough call though. Im not against Skinner at 6, but we fronted up well against England with Ritchie and Watson, so I think we could have copied with Darge and Watson against Wales, would have been more dynamic / mobile

yeah arguments both ways I suppose, I'm just glad we can have these arguments about proper players at the moment rather than just bringing in the next available guy. Think there is a definite heft advantage to be had with the two Wales flankers being wee guys (neither above 6" from what I can see) but you're right, could lose a bit of mobility. Again, on the other hand I think they only have their locks as proper lineout jumpers so Skinner could give us another advantage there.  

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan