Rugby Union

kiwififer

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

The entire Irish rugby media/social media reacted to Scottish people saying "we will really struggle to beat Ireland but we're really good" with thinly-veiled Kevin Keegan shit as if we were talking ourselves up.

On the flip side, the couple of Irish rugby fans I'm pally with aren't like that at all and were a good laugh/magnanimous about last week, so I don't think it's representative of your "man in the street". To me it's mainly mental media stuff whereas ours often still acts as if we should be delighted to win more than the odd game 

I wouldn't know about the social media side as I don't pay attention to that but all the Irish rugby fans I've met have been sound. 

Edited by Jeff Venom

6 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

I wouldn't know about the social media side as I don't pay attention to that but all the Irish rugby fans I've met have been sound. 

Fair enough. The media does a lot for the reputation though and the Irish media come across and arrogant and very dismissive 

Just now, Snobot said:

How did he have time to change direction? Seems a bit harsh. Game over though you’d expect 

It's because he can see the contact coming and has turned to lead with his shoulder/elbow. If he had stayed front on, he'd have been fine.

He didn't do anything to make a legal tackle or attempt on the ball, so has set himself up

Just now, aDONisSheep said:

That is where we should have a 20 min red at worst.

Agreed. It's very much an accidental collision but gets the same punishment as someone who deliberately targets an opponent's head with a shoulder at a ruck.

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

For me a red card had to have force from the defending player. Stewart is standing pretty much still with his arm by his side. I don't see why he is responsible for the force due to the irish player diving towards him head first.

I agree.  Williams got penalised when Sexton ran head first into him from about a foot.  It’s absolute fvkkin arse!

Edited by aDONisSheep

Bonus point win at the end after being under pressure. Italy fronted up and could've won if they didn't have hands like feet in attack. Great effort today but too many errors and poor discipline. The coaching needs changed after the world cup but Kinghorn was outstanding with a hattrick and after he went to full back when Healy came on. Van der Merwe worked hard but Schoeman was my MOTM. The guy pushed Italians out the road all day like a snowplough.

As for Ireland, they're managing England and have excellent discipline. It'll be an arm wrestle but Ireland should get over the line. Clear red card for Steward. Idiotic lead of the arm giving the ref no choice.

Edited by come on shire

There is no reason for Steward to turn there to brace himself. If he's done it because he's expecting Keenan to kick it, as Wilkinson was trying to claim, then he's still going for a seat because he will hit Keenan late with a no arms challenge.

Nothing he does in that situation is a legal move. He's unlucky to connect with the head, but it was a penalty (and card) waiting to happen regardless

There's pretty much nothing wrong with the rules imo, there's very rarely incidents where a genuine mistake is made, and a lot of bad faith "he threw his head at him!" Like the above. The best case for mitigation there is what, that Stewart thought he was going to kick/it's a "rugby incident" (an incredibly ill defined concept which always seems to just be used for special pleasing purposes)? So it's ok to try and charge down a kick  by jumping shoulder first at someone's head?

1 minute ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

There's pretty much nothing wrong with the rules imo, there's very rarely incidents where a genuine mistake is made, and a lot of bad faith "he threw his head at him!" Like the above. The best case for mitigation there is what, that Stewart thought he was going to kick/it's a "rugby incident" (an incredibly ill defined concept which always seems to just be used for special pleasing purposes)? So it's ok to try and charge down a kick  by jumping shoulder first at someone's head?

Stewart is standing upright, the only way head contact happens is if the attacker lowers his head into the contact. If you want to make the game safer there should be limits onthe way attackers play, safety shouldn't be all on the defender imo.

And I don't think it was a red because there was no force in Stewart's actions.