Rugby Union

kiwififer

We always hear that the Irish never make excuses or complain about the ref.

Dan McFarland currently moaning about the ref, and bemoaning all their injuries and the fact that Doak hadn’t trained at 10 all week. Maybe if he was going to be the cover there, you maybe should have done something about that during the week then, Dan…

Very impressed by the weegies tonight.  Looked like they might get blown away in the first 20 but after that got a grip of the game and dominated.

Turner, Sione, McDowell andDempsey all carried really well.

Turner would have been my pick for MotM but no qualms with Sione getting it.

Matthews sprinting down the wing for the BP try was a thing of beauty.  He should have had more international recognition.

12 hours ago, Left Back said:

Very impressed by the weegies tonight.  Looked like they might get blown away in the first 20 but after that got a grip of the game and dominated.

Turner, Sione, McDowell andDempsey all carried really well.

Turner would have been my pick for MotM but no qualms with Sione getting it.

Matthews sprinting down the wing for the BP try was a thing of beauty.  He should have had more international recognition.

There have been wingers with worse scoring records than Matthew’s before.   I don’t know enough about him as a player to know why he hasn’t had more caps.  

I noticed there is a tiny potential stooshie brewing over the Blair Kinghorn money with some suggestion that there is no point spending it on Edinburgh. I have to be honest I don't see a position where spending a bit of cash is going to make much difference to Edinburgh. Center maybe? They seem to have top players backed by decent youngsters in almost every position whereas a decent 10 would probably make Glasgow truly competitive overnight? Maybe I'm just biased....

45 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I had a look and for some reason its not showing the prices for the Sunday, Im wondering if its engineering works? Loads of availability on Monday so another day in Cardiff might be an option?

No thanks.  Spent a weekend as a tourist in Cardiff when the match got binned in 2020 (OK I went to the castle).  That’s as much as I want to see.

Flogged my tickets on the WRU resale site this morning.  Rome the only away trip for us this season now.

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

No thanks.  Spent a weekend as a tourist in Cardiff when the match got binned in 2020 (OK I went to the castle).  That’s as much as I want to see.

Flogged my tickets on the WRU resale site this morning.  Rome the only away trip for us this season now.

I was there as well, but only saw the inside of a few pubs

Seemingly it is engineering works between Birmingham and Wolverhampton, but its pretty much affecting all trains from the Midlands up. I can get back OK, and you could get to Crewe but nothing Crewe to Preston. The rest of the lads im going with are looking at hotel for Sunday and early train back Monday now.

Im still trying to talk the lads into a Rome trip (will be easier now as we were in Lille which was fantastic) as the savings in match tickets will pay the extra travel - and given the prices of train tickets might be cheaper

Edited by honestly united

13 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I was there as well, but only saw the inside of a few pubs

Seemingly it is engineering works between Birmingham and Wolverhampton, but its pretty much affecting all trains from the Midlands up. I can get back OK, and you could get to Crewe but nothing Crewe to Preston. The rest of the lads im going with are looking at hotel for Sunday and early train back Monday now.

Im still trying to talk the lads into a Rome trip (will be easier now as we were in Lille which was fantastic) as the savings in match tickets will pay the extra travel - and given the prices of train tickets might be cheaper

If flights to Rome are expensive fly to Naples instead and get the train up to Rome.  Just over an hour and cheap as chips. 

Finally the Glasgow slow start did them tonight, you can't go 19-0 down to these teams in the first quarter and expect to get anything. The fightback was decent, and they showed the usual grit and fight that they always do, but they have to start games faster. 

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Finally the Glasgow slow start did them tonight, you can't go 19-0 down to these teams in the first quarter and expect to get anything. The fightback was decent, and they showed the usual grit and fight that they always do, but they have to start games faster. 

Don't like to single out an individual as the whole team started badly, but Kennedy looked miles off it tonight. Some questionable refereeing too.

That’s a great performance by Edinburgh in Ulster.  12-13 up at the break and under the pump for the 1st 15 of the second half.  Defended really well though then dominated the game.

Shame they messed up the last lineout that gave Ulster 2 points.

Ritchie outstanding at the breakdown and Healy’s game management superb.

Special shout out to the Italian ref (who I’ve never heard of).  Way beyond Mike Adamson levels of having no clue what he’s doing.  To the extent even the commentators were calling him out.

six nations refs 
https://www.world.rugby/the-game/high-performance/officiating/895870

Wales v Scotland
Principality Stadium, Cardiff
Saturday, 3 February, 2024
Referee: Ben O'Keeffe (NZR)
Assistant Referee 1: James Doleman (NZR)
Assistant Referee 2: Angus Mabey (NZR)
TMO: Brendon Pickerill (NZR)
Scotland v France
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
Saturday, 10 February, 2024
Referee: Nic Berry (RA)
Assistant Referee 1: Nika Amashukeli (GRU)
Assistant Referee 2: Jordan Way (RA)
TMO: Brian MacNeice (IRFU)
Scotland v England
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
Saturday, 24 February, 2024
Referee: Andrew Brace (IRFU)
Assistant Referee 1: Chris Busby (IRFU)
Assistant Referee 2: Eoghan Cross (IRFU)
TMO: Marius Jonker (SARU)

Italy v Scotland
Stadio Olimpico, Rome
Saturday, 9 March, 2024

Referee: Jaco Peyper (SARU)
Assistant Referee 1: Karl Dickson (RFU)
Assistant Referee 2: Adam Leal (RFU)
TMO: Marius van der Westhuizen (SARU)

Ireland v Scotland
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
Saturday, 16 March, 2024

Referee: Matthew Carley (RFU)
Assistant Referee 2: Christophe Ridley (RFU)

Only one match has a Scottish official 

England v Wales
Twickenham Stadium, London
Referee: James Doleman (NZR)
Assistant Referee 1: Ben O'Keeffe (NZR)
Assistant Referee 2: Hollie Davidson (SRU)

3 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

six nations refs 
https://www.world.rugby/the-game/high-performance/officiating/895870

Wales v Scotland
Principality Stadium, Cardiff
Saturday, 3 February, 2024
Referee: Ben O'Keeffe (NZR)
Assistant Referee 1: James Doleman (NZR)
Assistant Referee 2: Angus Mabey (NZR)
Scotland v France
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
Referee: Nic Berry (RA)
Assistant Referee 1: Nika Amashukeli (GRU)
Assistant Referee 2: Jordan Way (RA)
TMO: Brian MacNeice (IRFU)
Scotland v England
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
Saturday, 24 February, 2024
Referee: Andrew Brace (IRFU)
Assistant Referee 1: Chris Busby (IRFU)
Assistant Referee 2: Eoghan Cross (IRFU)

Italy v Scotland
Stadio Olimpico, Rome
Saturday, 9 March, 2024

Referee: Jaco Peyper (SARU)
Assistant Referee 2: Adam Leal (RFU)
TMO: Marius van der Westhuizen (SARU)

Ireland v Scotland
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
Saturday, 16 March, 2024

Referee: Matthew Carley (RFU)
Assistant Referee 2: Christophe Ridley (RFU)

Only one match has a Scottish official 

England v Wales
Twickenham Stadium, London
Referee: James Doleman (NZR)
Assistant Referee 1: Ben O'Keeffe (NZR)
Assistant Referee 2: Hollie Davidson (SRU)

Andrew Brace for the England game. What could possibly go wrong?

10 hours ago, honestly united said:

FTFY

Ben O'keefe first game, I have a feeling I thought he was a decent ref, then did us over in the last match we had him. We didnt have him in the WC or last 6N's so cant remember why

we had him for the France and Italy games at home in the warmups for the world cup