Rugby Union

kiwififer

On 16/12/2023 at 14:05, GAD said:

Everytime I see Maitland play for Sarries I wonder why Townsend was so quick to dump him. He's definitely a better player than Ollie Smith.

I know, the past two years I've been saying to myself 'well he must have said to Toony he's planning to retire at the end of the season'. He definitely won't be an option by the next world cup but hard to believe he wouldn't have been a handy player to have still had playing regularly going into a WC when your starting XV and most experienced back 3 player retires to spend more time with a horse racing presenter

Edited by GHF-23

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

I know, the past two years I've been saying to myself 'well he must have said to Toony he's planning to retire at the end of the season'. He definitely won't be an option by the next world cup but hard to believe he wouldn't have been a handy player to have still had playing regularly going into a WC when your starting XV and most experienced back 3 player retires to spend more time with a horse racing presenter

Yeah, especially against Ireland and SA when you know you'll be under the cosh and the ball will be in the air a lot. Maitland is the back three with the best skillset to deal with that.

On 16/12/2023 at 14:05, GAD said:

Everytime I see Maitland play for Sarries I wonder why Townsend was so quick to dump him. He's definitely a better player than Ollie Smith.

On 19/12/2023 at 12:10, GHF-23 said:

Ollie Smith ruled out for up to 12 months with a knee injury. A hammer blow for him and Glasgow. Scotland are paper thin at full back and will have to hope Kinghorn stays fit. Maitland would be more than capable cover.

Edited by peasy23

37 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Ollie Smith ruled out for up to 12 months with a knee injury. A hammer blow for him and Glasgow. Scotland are paper thin at full back and will have to hope Kinghorn stays fit. Maitland would be more than capable cover.

Has Adam Hastings not played pretty well for scotland at full back as well? Another of Toonies forgotten men.

I was actually wondering the other day as well, this Arundell stint in france must mean he'll be eligible to play for scotland again before he's eligible to play for england, especially if he extends again?

Edited by GAD

29 minutes ago, GAD said:

Has Adam Hastings not played pretty well for scotland at full back as well? Another of Toonies forgotten men.

I was actually wondering the other day as well, this Arundell stint in france must mean he'll be eligible to play for scotland again before he's eligible to play for england, especially if he extends again?

Yep, Hastings has been decent, but Toony certainly seems to have a habit of sidelining players then forgetting all about them. He's gone from being a regular to not having played for over a year. 

12 minutes ago, honestly united said:

tbf was he not injured for the 6N and WC?

I think he might have been, but he also wasn't getting picked before that anyway when the "Kinghorn at 10" thing was going on, and Healy signing was another nail.

8 minutes ago, GAD said:

Don't think he was really signed as a project player, but he signed in 21, so would be sometime in 2026 if he stays that long.

I know he’s said he wasn’t coming here to play for Scotland but tbh I’d take him.  Didn’t realise it had gone up to 5 years.