Rugby Union

kiwififer

2 hours ago, GAD said:

Yeah, good player and a shame for Edinburgh to lose him, but they seem to have a backlog of decent Scottish back rows not getting a game so no surprise to see him finally moved on.

Was a great signing for Edinburgh, and probably one of their best players for many years, but right time to let him go. Was probably a cheap option when he came in but would have been looking at a big wage, which will be better spent elsewhere, and Embra have some decent options in the back row now.

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

The BBC has the SRU / GT interested in Finn Smith (Northampton), Tom Roebuck, Aaron Reed and Gus Warr (Sale) and Jacob Beetham (Cardiff).

I suppose it must be cheaper and easier than paying for proper player development in Scotland

This has been doing the rounds, but the article I read seemed to be more that it was the Sale coach trying to drum up some England caps for his players, and the Beetham one is a "Welsh rugby in turmoil!!!" story. If these guys had been a few good props, or massive ball carrying second rows then I could see Scotland pushing the boat out for them, but it's three back 3 players, a scrum half and a 10. Honestly think Smith is the only one they'd be seriously interested in making a concerted effort to poach.

On 08/11/2021 at 11:05, aDONisSheep said:

I completely agree with this;

Here's my manifesto for the game

1)  Lineout; get a lineout clock going from when ball goes out of play, maybe 30 seconds if from a penalty, 40 if opposition put it out.

2) Injured players; rolling replacements at set pieces but restricted to set piece and first phase of play.  After that, replacements are out of the game unless made permanent.

3)  Reduce the number of substitutions

4)  Allow deviation in line when defending box kicks, but no arms, grabbing or shoulder charges

5) Get TMOs the fvck out of making calls unless for the most agregious offences, punching, gouging etc.  Other than that, they only get involved with what the referee has asked them to look at.

6) Scrum; one re-set then free kick or penalty at referees discretion.

9) Kick at goal reduced to 45 seconds

10)  Maximum caterpillar of one at ruck

Yours, the self appointed commissioner of rugby

aDONis

Rumour has it, that World Rugby, has been looking at the comments of the - self appointed commissioner of rugby’s comments on this board.

They haven’t adopted all of my fine, fine ideas, but they’re looking to adopt variations of 1, 5, 9 & 10.

@WORLD RUGBY, I’m available for consultancy, wedding and Bar-mitsvas.

Yours

aDONis

Self appointed commissioner of rugby

Just watched Bath v Gloucester, not a classic but interesting seeing Russell v Hastings. Russell was decent, but his place kicking wasn't, Hastings was playing ok, but then completely fluffed his lines when he just had to execute a simple pass to put Gloucester in at the corner and he completely fucked it, very late in the game. Basically cost them the match. Both Harris and Redpath were good as well I thought. That could easily be the center in Cardiff in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Just watched Bath v Gloucester, not a classic but interesting seeing Russell v Hastings. Russell was decent, but his place kicking wasn't, Hastings was playing ok, but then completely fluffed his lines when he just had to execute a simple pass to put Gloucester in at the corner and he completely fucked it, very late in the game. Basically cost them the match. Both Harris and Redpath were good as well I thought. That could easily be the center in Cardiff in a few weeks.

Thought Finn and Redpath combined well today.  Tough call between Redpath and Sione but for me Sione and Huw are still deserving of their spots.

10 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Thought Finn and Redpath combined well today.  Tough call between Redpath and Sione but for me Sione and Huw are still deserving of their spots.

Not sure Jones is playing so well just now. It's a hard call anyway, for me Redpath is such a classy player, probably the best passer and kicker, Tuipolotu isn't as good a distributor, but brings the strength and line break potential, as does Jones, and Harris is obviously the best defender from the lot of them. You've got McDowall kicking about as well who is knocking on the door, who brings more physicality and a massive boot. It's a hard call.

Not to mention the forgotten men like Hutchison, Bennett, Scott, Lang, etc. 

4 hours ago, come on shire said:

That's Andy Farrell officially the head coach of the British and Irish Lions tour to Oz next year.

Cue Farrell becoming Gatland mk II.  Default pick will be an Irish player and no-one else is getting a look in.

From everything he has shown in his playing and coaching, Farrell Sr is the type of guy who just wants to win, and will pick the best, regardless of where they come from.

I reckon he would also have no issues with phoning his boy to tell him he's staying at home if he didn't think he was worth picking.

9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

From everything he has shown in his playing and coaching, Farrell Sr is the type of guy who just wants to win, and will pick the best, regardless of where they come from.

I reckon he would also have no issues with phoning his boy to tell him he's staying at home if he didn't think he was worth picking.

To be honest, if he takes 3 10s, unless someone really starts pulling up trees during the next couple of 6 nations it's going to be Farrell and Russell plus one.

To be honest, if you were picking it now, it would be hard to argue with Ireland + Russell and DVM. Also, it's Australia so it doesn't really matter who he picks.

11 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Dodson away!

1 - good to see the BBC reporting it as "Chief Exec" rather than the annoying Americanism of CEO

2 - The new guy has to be a bold appointment, heavily backed, with a strong plan to improve the game from the ground up and finally make up some of the gap we've been struggling with since Professionalism. I won't exactly be holding my breath but good riddance.