Rugby Union

kiwififer

I'll ignore the obvious, because I simply can't be arsed anymore.

My other point is that we've now played 4 halves of this 6N, and at the end of three of them, we've been battering the opposition line, resulting in a grand total of 0 points. It's simply not good enough

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

My other point is that we've now played 4 halves of this 6N, and at the end of three of them, we've been battering the opposition line, resulting in a grand total of 0 points. It's simply not good enough

The latter part is annoying but bang on. Yes we were mugged by the officiating team. No question. But it has been in our hands to batter Wales last week and beat France this week and we've nor grasped either opportunity.

While this squad has pretty much been better than anything else we've had in the Six Nations era, it feels like the squad are going to throw away a lot of opportunities and games that they should win. That mentality is what is lacking from the players and coaching staff. That mentality to get over the line in tight games against good opponents or to close batterings out with no drama.

How we change that, I really do not know. The worrying thing is neither does our coaching staff nor players seem to know either.

20 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Good point and Scotland still have themselves to blame for 3 of those

I was watching with no sound (on my phone at the football) so as I watched it (and not hearing the audio between referee and TMO) I went from "can't give that" to "oooh, he might give that" to "hmmm, it looks down but not enough to overturn" to "oh no look, it's down". Seeing the reaction here, I'm not surprised or annoyed or anything. Just a bit scunnered. Also we shouldn't be in the position where we're holding on in the last 5 minutes after having been 27 points up or having to rely on a late heave over the line having been points up and a man up at home. It's like some of them don't have a rugby brain amongst them sometimes.

To be fair, I think what the TMO meant is that he can't see the point that the ball is touching the ground. Now, you might say the ball is in such a position relative to the ground that nothing could be preventing it from touching the ground. Very fair point, but can we be certain that a french player had not brought a sheet of paper onto the pitch for just such an occasion?

Joking and heartbreak aside, we were once again completely in control and this time didn't put the distance on the scoreboard rather than collapsing like last weekend.

Thought Finn was the best player on the park despite there not really being opportunities for the box of tricks. An almost perfect lineout was excellent to see too. Scrum and physicality was fine, just didn't have the edge in attack and as MC says we are not clinical enough when we get to those 5 yard out situations.

Thought Paterson was superb, was a bit worried about depth and long term plans in the back three but he and Rowe look like good long term players for the squad, and that's before you introduce Reed.