Rugby Union

kiwififer

This year we have season tickets for both Glasgow and Scotland, just bronze mind you but the 5 internationals work out at less than £30 per game and the Glasgow gets you 14 games for the equivalent cost of 9. But given the ongoing abstractions for Scotland duty I am inclined to bin the Warriors tickets next season and just buy single games tickets outwith he international period.

While it's true that there would have been little change in previous results with the new system, the problem with that is that the individual match results might not have been the same had the new system been in place. For instance, if Scotland scored three tries v Italy on a win under the old system, they might have kicked a penalty to extend their lead or solidify their position. If the new format was in place, we might have went for the corner to get the bonus point. Clearly that isn't going to change overall standings but how many times have the bigger countries taken 3 points near the death or maybe taken their foot off the gas if they had already scored two tries and a penalty or two before half time?

Don't like the bonus point system. Gives less of a chance for the less-established teams to win the tournament by scraping wins.

It would make sense if Georgia and, say, Romania were added to keep those games competitive but I don't think it is needed at present. The games are nearly all tightly-contested and attract excellent attendances and viewing figures.

Sky reporting that toony has turned down a coaching role with the lions. Frankly im v pleased with this since we need him to concentrate on Scotland job, any scots that are picked by gatland are most likely to be token picks, the Iions are almost certain to be hammered by the abs and Scotland will be touring at the same time.

Sky reporting that toony has turned down a coaching role with the lions. Frankly im v pleased with this since we need him to concentrate on Scotland job, any scots that are picked by gatland are most likely to be token picks, the Iions are almost certain to be hammered by the abs and Scotland will be touring at the same time.

We have one game v Australia the week before the 1st lions test

5 hours ago, ajwffc said:

We have one game v Australia the week before the 1st lions test

Today's paper says Australia's tests versus Fiji (fortnight before the first Lions test), Scotland (week before) and Italy (weekend of) are going to be expanded into a Quadrangular Cup - although Scotland v Italy in the opening weekend might be played en route in Dubai, Singapore or Hong Kong - and that we will also be playing an additional test away to Fiji after it.

51 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Today's paper says Australia's tests versus Fiji (fortnight before the first Lions test), Scotland (week before) and Italy (weekend of) are going to be expanded into a Quadrangular Cup - although Scotland v Italy in the opening weekend might be played en route in Dubai, Singapore or Hong Kong - and that we will also be playing an additional test away to Fiji after it.

Yeah I'd imagine it will be similar to the Italy, Samoa, SA thing we did a few years back - last Lions tour IIRC?

Aye. That was slightly different, in so far as there were only 2 pool games then Final and 3rd/4th; but organised so that the chances were the Finalists and 3rd/4th teams would be the pairs which hadn't already played. If we'd beaten Samoa then we'd have played South Africa twice, and not met Italy at all.

Sounds like this cup will be a straightforward 3 pool games, then we'll play Fiji a second time running in Suva the week after playing them in the last of those 3 pool games.

I dislike Munster so I would greatly appreciate if Glasgow could do the right thing and give them a hammering.

Yep I hate ulster for their whiny self entitled fans and munster for the horrible cynical way they play (blatant cheating at rucks n mauls, running obstruction lines n off the ball cheap shots). Always a delight to see those two losing whoever they are playing.

1 minute ago, dogmc said:

Yep I hate ulster for their whiny self entitled fans and munster for the horrible cynical way they play (blatant cheating at rucks n mauls, running obstruction lines n off the ball cheap shots). Always a delight to see those two losing whoever they are playing.

Fun part is that my grandmother came from Cork, which is part of Munster, and was married to my grandfather who came from Donegal (part of Ulster)...sounds like your idea of a nightmare...;)