Rugby Union

kiwififer

I absolutely love the 6 nations and am looking forward to this afternoon's match like it's Xmas.  Three failed rugby-playing dads and three current rugby-playing sons with mixed nationalities including Scotland, Sweden, China, France, Ireland and England coming to the hoose.

We'll have stovies and bottles of beer from The Chiltern Brewery.  Expecting a Scotland win.

5 hours ago, dogmc said:

And in fairness to Scotland 20....its been a huge turnover in personnel....the last two seasons they've been hugely competitive for the first time ever beating Italy Wales, thrashing England n beating Australia for 1st time ever at that level...now those guys are holding fort for Scotland 7s, Glasgow n embra. The u20s are now a very young inexperienced squad again

Does playing for Glasgow or Edinburgh take priority over playing for the under 20s? I saw Kinghorn playing for Edinburgh yesterday, though maybe he's too old now?

Harsh on both u20 which have had a huge turnover in personnel n ladies who in prev years have been utter cannon fodder. Mental strength wasn't an issue in that and it won't be at murrayfield....fair refereeing might be....but there was bugger all wrong with scottish mentality when Glasgow with an all scottish side stuck 43 on Leicester away from home, when Glasgow won pro 12 cpl yrs back, when scottish u20 horsed England u20s 4 converted tries to nil last year, when u20s beat Australia in u20 rwc last season...what we need is a positive fan base n refs who don't screw us over before game even starts. That's before we mention Glasgow beasting bath at home n embra beasting harlequins home n away.

Disagree mate. Scotland fielded a much higher amount of players that played against Ireland u20 last year than Ireland. Ireland only 2.
It's a weakness. These guys dominated and lost to these guys. That's the mentality stuff they take into senior rugby

Disagree mate. Scotland fielded a much higher amount of players that played against Ireland u20 last year than Ireland. Ireland only 2.
It's a weakness. These guys dominated and lost to these guys. That's the mentality stuff they take into senior rugby

I'm with JLD on this, a negative mentality is a problem we have had in our international rugby team for years now. I think it comes from a combination of absolute dross players pulling on a Scotland shirt and not performing well and us being more bottom feeders fighting with Italy to avoid the wooden spoon than champions material.

But I can also see what dogmc was saying about Glasgow, who have came on leaps and bounds under GT and always look confident and like they expect to win (Edinburgh good recent European run shouldn't be ignored either). So hopefully that combined with this being one of the richer talent pools(especially in the backs) that we have seen for sometime will help us get the national team back closer to the business end of the table rather than the dung heap.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Does playing for Glasgow or Edinburgh take priority over playing for the under 20s? I saw Kinghorn playing for Edinburgh yesterday, though maybe he's too old now?

Pretty sure he's eligible to play for the u20s.

Any predictions on what the table will finish as?

I'm going to go...

1) England
2) Ireland
3) Scotland (fuck it, it's possible)
4) Wales
5) France
6) Italy

Seems to be much tighter this year in terms of quality so here's hoping there's a lot of unpredictability! No grand slam winner, I reckon.

I fancy Scotland to win three or even four so, no doubt, we'll be battling Italy for fifth place like every other time I get a bit of optimism.

If we can get off to a winning start today, you never know.

I'd just like to win at Twickenham, at least. When was the last time that happened? I can't remember ever seeing it and I'm 36.

I'm going to go...

1) England
2) Ireland
4) Wales
5) France
6) Italy

Seems to be much tighter this year in terms of quality so here's hoping there's a lot of unpredictability! No grand slam winner, I reckon.

I'd take that

Not gonna squabble too much bout itbut Ireland u20 beat nz at last season's rwc. We have lost Adam hastings George Horne Scott Cummings magnus Bradbury Lewis wynn Murray mccallum n ritchie. Any team losing those guys especially with their Pro12 experience will have a drop off. I get what your saying that we need a more ruthless mentality but I'd cut the u20s a bit of slack this season and tend to be more optimistic about the general trend of improvement. As for today starting to get v excited. Hopefully laidlaw doesn't hold up the ball. That backline needs as much ball as possible as quickly as possible. Also be nice if ref stopped Ireland cheating at breakdown.

Not gonna squabble too much bout itbut Ireland u20 beat nz at last season's rwc. We have lost Adam hastings George Horne Scott Cummings magnus Bradbury Lewis wynn Murray mccallum n ritchie. Any team losing those guys especially with their Pro12 experience will have a drop off. I get what your saying that we need a more ruthless mentality but I'd cut the u20s a bit of slack this season and tend to be more optimistic about the general trend of improvement. As for today starting to get v excited. Hopefully laidlaw doesn't hold up the ball. That backline needs as much ball as possible as quickly as possible. Also be nice if ref stopped Ireland cheating at breakdown.

I watched it though.. Scotland destroyed their scrum. By far the better team ( that's not me being biased BTW. . They just were) but... beaten by 1 point. That's a mental thing. We will see it again today. Mark my words

I watched it though.. Scotland destroyed their scrum. By far the better team ( that's not me being biased BTW. . They just were) but... beaten by 1 point

Fair enough. No trying to argue I just see positives in us being able to do that after turning over some real quality. In years gone by we have had some thumping at that level sometimes due to lack of quality sometimes due to lack of strength/fitness and yep often cos of weak mentality. I think we are moving forward but it defo still kicks in when we are up against England n sh sides. Too often then we are beaten before kick off. We have had numerous chances to beat nz at 7s 15s and age grade yet never do. Last time we played all blacks we should have won but as soon as laidlaw missed a kick we crumpled.

46 minutes ago, Sooky said:

I'm going to go...

1) England
2) Ireland
4) Wales
5) France
6) Italy

As long as we finish above Wales, I don't care.

I fancy Scotland to win three or even four so, no doubt, we'll be battling Italy for fifth place like every other time I get a bit of optimism.

If we can get off to a winning start today, you never know.

I'd just like to win at Twickenham, at least. When was the last time that happened? I can't remember ever seeing it and I'm 36.

I just went and checked as I was equally curiously...1983! So it's just about happened in your lifetime.

I've gone baws oot on a Scotland 6 nations win. £2 on at 20/1. Free money IMO. 

I thought I had £10 left on my account but logging in yesterday I saw that my balance was empty. A quick look at open bets and apparently I put £10 on Scotland to win the six nations at 25/1 on the day of the Glasgow vs Leicester game. I'd had a fair amount of beer and must have got slightly carried away...or have incredible powers of insight. Hopefully the latter.

1 minute ago, jmothecat said:

I thought I had £10 left on my account but logging in yesterday I saw that my balance was empty. A quick look at open bets and apparently I put £10 on Scotland to win the six nations at 25/1 on the day of the Glasgow vs Leicester game. I'd had a fair amount of beer and must have got slightly carried away...or have incredible powers of insight. Hopefully the latter.

Strangely enough that's exactly when I put my bet on. I've stuck £2 on the Grand Slam too.

'£14 placed on Scotland, better call the unusual betting patterns team'.