kiwififer

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Attendances so far have been middling:

Australia venues

NZ venues
17,857 ... NZ v Samoa
12,130 ... NZ v Scotland
  9,216 ... Scotland v Tonga + Ireland v Italy doubleheader

HibeeJibee you need change that double venue header as Cairns is the on the other side of The Ditch.

Apologies, assumed Group B was entirely in NZ.

They're actually increasing the tournament from 14 to 16 for next time, which could see the likes of Russia, Cook Islands, Jamaica and South Africa feature. However at least this should allow straightforward 4 groups of 4 > QFs > SFs > Final.

Apologies, assumed Group B was entirely in NZ.

They're actually increasing the tournament from 14 to 16 for next time, which could see the likes of Russia, Cook Islands, Jamaica and South Africa feature. However at least this should allow straightforward 4 groups of 4 > QFs > SFs > Final.

No worries. The Scotland v Samoa game will also be played in Cairns.

7 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

Caught the last few minutes but the attendance looked awful.  I thought there'd be a bigger crowd for an established Rugby League team like England.

My mate follows Rugby League much more closely than I do and he was saying that the venue was picked specifically because there is a large Lebanese community nearby, maybe if their team had more Lebanese players in it they might have bothered turning up to watch.

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's sad to see things becoming a bit of a joke with weak crowds, moonlighting teams, an English referee being allowed to officiate England v Lebanon and the RLWC main sponsor seems to be "KFC - $2.50 Large Chips & Gravy -Australia Only" :lol:.

Group A
Australia 52-6 France
England 29-10 Lebanon

Group B
New Zealand 74-6 Scotland
Samoa 18-32 Tonga

Almost inevitable that Australia will beat Lebanon and NZ will beat Tonga next week. France-England is nearly a deadrubber due to points differentials. Samoa v Scotland decides last place in B.

Attendances so far have been middling:

Australia venues
22,274 ... Australia v England
12,293 ... Australia v France
10,237 ... England v Lebanon
  9,216 ... Scotland v Tonga + Ireland v Italy doubleheader
   5,492 ... France v Lebanon
   5,103 ... Fiji v USA

NZ venues
17,857 ... NZ v Samoa
12,130 ... NZ v Scotland
  = === ... Samoa v Tonga

PNG venue
14,800 ... PNG v Wales

These were group crowds in 2008 (Australia hosting):

36,297 ... Australia v England
34,157 ... Australia v NZ
16,239 ... Australia v PNG
15,145 ... England v NZ
11,787 ... Samoa v Tonga
11,278 ... NZ v PNG
10,780 ... England v PNG
   9,287 ... France v Scotland
   9,270 ... Fiji v Scotland
   9,213 ... France v Fiji
   8,224 ... Fiji v Ireland (intermediate round)
   8,067 ... Ireland v Samoa
   8,028 ... Samoa v France (playoff for 9th)
   6,165 ... Tonga v Ireland
   5,942 ... Scotland v Tonga (playoff for 7th)

Looking at pics from the Samoa v Tonga game the attendance should  be close to the 25800 capacity of the Waikato Stadium

Commentator just said Edinburgh play Glasgow 3 times. I assume this is a play off thing?

Admittedly I've not been following as closely as I usually do, but this does seem a bit confusing.

It is a normal league fixture. Due to the addition off the two South African sides and a the splitting into the conferences. The last round of fixtures is an extra derby game to give the Welsh and Irish sides 2 games v each other. Given the Italian, Scottish and South African sides a 3rd game v each other

It is a normal league fixture. Due to the addition off the two South African sides and a the splitting into the conferences. The last round of fixtures is an extra derby game to give the Welsh and Irish sides 2 games v each other. Given the Italian, Scottish and South African sides a 3rd game v each other

How does it work for the 1872 cup? Is it now the scores over the 3 games or just 2?

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

How does it work for the 1872 cup? Is it now the scores over the 3 games or just 2?

It is a  best of 3 not using points difference (same as Bledisloe Cup) 

My mate follows Rugby League much more closely than I do and he was saying that the venue was picked specifically because there is a large Lebanese community nearby, maybe if their team had more Lebanese players in it they might have bothered turning up to watch.

Yep, large Lebanese ex pat community in Western Sydney which is why it was one of the few matches NSW bid for.

It has been an eventful world Cup for Scotland so far. In there only warm up game they lost 50-14 to Country Rugby League U23 side. Conceded 124 pts(more than any other side at this point). Now 3 players(Danny Brough, Sam Brooks and Jonathan Walker)  one of which is the captain will be sent home due to them being too drunk to fly to Australia with the rest of the squad.