Rugby Union

kiwififer

Well done the Highlanders.

Think they deserved it, just that bit more clinical than the Hurricanes.

I'm looking forward to the celebrations in Dunedin over the next few days.

I didn't catch the game but it seems that the Otago Highlanders were deserved winners. After all, it must have taken a huge effort to defeat the Wellington Hurricanes on their own patch. Also, I saw heir semi-final last weekend. After all, it's not a team of mugs that go to Sydney and defeat the famous New South Wales Waratahs on their own patch.

I got tickets for the Samoa match. Also entered the draw for the South Africa match but wasn't successful. I'm not that bothered as it means I'll be able to watch it on the TV and concentrate as opposed to being at the game and possibly have a rubbish seat or be a bit inebriated.

Talking of Samoa they have a first ever home game against the All Blacks this Wednesday. It's an afternoon kick-off in Apia so will be around 3am in Scotland and the bits to the south and west.

Talking of Samoa they have a first ever home game against the All Blacks this Wednesday. It's an afternoon kick-off in Apia so will be around 3am in Scotland and the bits to the south and west.

Yeah, I just saw the side the ABs have named for the Samoa test and even with 17 players unavailable having played in the Super Rugby final, it's still a bloody strong side.

It seems a bit mean spirited given all the Samoans have done for NZ rugby that they couldn't bother their arse to go and play them before now.

It's actually the first time the All Blacks will play a full international away to any of them Pacific Island test playing nations. The Wallabies only marginally better as they have travelled to Fiji three times but not since 1984.

It's actually the first time the All Blacks will play a full international away to any of them Pacific Island test playing nations. The Wallabies only marginally better as they have travelled to Fiji three times but not since 1984.

That's very poor, they should be playing games in these countries more often to boost the sport.

If only so they can then proceed to pilfer their best players.

There will probably be more New Zealand born players in the Samoa team(at least 11 out of the 27 named players) than the other way round. As of june last year out of the 1133 players to play for the All Blacks only 32 were born in the Pacific Islands (Samoa(13), Tonga(9), Fiji(8) and American Samoa(2))

That's very poor, they should be playing games in these countries more often to boost the sport.

It's probably not too much different from how many times Scotland, Ireland, Wales or England have played away to the likes of Georgia, Russia or other emerging European or North African countries.

There will probably be more New Zealand born players in the Samoa team(at least 11 out of the 27 named players) than the other way round. As of june last year out of the 1133 players to play for the All Blacks only 32 were born in the Pacific Islands (Samoa(13), Tonga(9), Fiji( 8) and American Samoa(2))

It is an old chestnut and often overstated. Of course the number first generation born to Samoan or Tongan parents which is substantially higher, but the NZ can't be blamed for them choosing NZ.

It's probably not too much different from how many times Scotland, Ireland, Wales or England have played away to the likes of Georgia, Russia or other emerging European or North African countries.

It is way different to be honest. There are more political and cultural links between Samoa and New Zealand than Georgia and Russia have with Home Nations. Samoa only became independent from New Zealand until the 1960s. It's like more akin to England never playing Ireland.

The Pacific Islands form tends to fluctuate a bit, but I'd say they are comfortably top of the tier 2 nations too, and would give you a better game than most of the emerging European nations. (Georgia might batter you up front, but that's it really)

It's really not. The pacific islanders have been established top 10 nations and world cup quarter finalists for a generation. Scotland have even played tests there.

THe home nations were also extremely proactive in touring Romania and Italy during their development phase in the late 80s early 90s before a proper tier 2 European system was established.