Rugby Union

kiwififer

Very much worst 25 getting a last chance to stake a claim for a world cup squad place

Wouldn't say worst 25! I'd have both Pyrgos and SHC at scrum half before Laidlaw. Seymour and Lamont would also be in my final squad as would Rob Harley. Proven winners!

Wouldn't say worst 25! I'd have both Pyrgos and SHC at scrum half before Laidlaw. Seymour and Lamont would also be in my final squad as would Rob Harley. Proven winners!

I don't think any of those picked will make the starting 15 although I would agree with you on the scrum half situation. You just have to look at the team and no hogg, Russell, greys, maitland, ford etc which was the 6 nations first choice and he is giving everyone else a chance to put the hand up for selection

Very much worst 25 getting a last chance to stake a claim for a world cup squad place

I could only agree to a certain extent. The Warriors players here were outstanding last season when Warriors won the Pro 12. Down in Bath last season, Richie Vernon played out of position and still scored a try. John Barclay has been outsnding for the Scarlets. Far from the worst 25 in the squad.

However, I do agree that Edinburgh played some very weak sides on the road to the Challenge Cup final and Tim Visser is still waiting for the jury verdict on whether his tackling has improved. Jim Hamilton blows hot and cold too often (that includes his temper).

Laidlaw has caused us to pass up so many tries during the 6 Nations. It would be interesting to see how many of those defeats would have become wins if we had taken chances and, in turn, our final position in the 6N table. Too much slow ball from the ruck/breakdown allow opposition to get organised on their try line. This turns into white line fever. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne and Henry Pyrgos should be the main shouts for the scrum-half role. Younger, quicker players are needed for this key position.

Edited by come on shire

I could only agree to a certain extent. The Warriors players here were outstanding last season when Warriors won the Pro 12. Down in Bath last season, Richie Vernon played out of position and still scored a try. John Barclay has been outsnding for the Scarlets. Far from the worst 25 in the squad.

However, I do agree that Edinburgh played some very weak sides on the road to the Challenge Cup final and Tim Visser is still waiting for the jury verdict on whether his tackling has improved. Jim Hamilton blows hot and cold too often (that includes his temper).

Laidlaw has caused us to pass up so many tries during the 6 Nations. It would be interesting to see how many of those defeats would have become wins if we had taken chances and, in turn, our final position in the 6N table. Too much slow ball from the ruck/breakdown allow opposition to get organised on their try line. This turns into white line fever. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne and Henry Pyrgos should be the main shouts for the scrum-half role. Younger, quicker players are needed for this key position.

Its the worst 25 in the squad of 40 not worst 25 players in Scotland. It does look like he has a starting 15 in mind after the 6 nations, and none of them are in the squad for this game. I totally agree that Laidlaw should not be starting SH, Barclay should be in the back row (or in the squad at the very least), but this is very much looking like a trial match as to who is making the squad along with who hasn't been picked. At Stand off Russell is a certainty, so its down to either Weir or Jackson as back up, and it looks the same all over the squad to me. I would expect a few people to be dropped from the squad after the weekend, and we wont see the full likely best 15 until the very last game probably (and given that Strauss and Nel are likely to feature in that probably not until the SA game in the world cup

I'd take Weir as back-up over Jackson, despite Jackson's form. Weir has been there and done it the last few seasons. Solid and reliable, has just been eclipsed by the rise of Russell, the same way Weir took over Jackson's role.

Pyrgos is an upgrade on Laidlaw IMO. Laidlaw is rated highly, seemingly for kicking, but Russell / Horne / Hogg can deputise here. Pyrgos the last few years has impressed me. He's not anything special, but runs good lines, makes good calls and sets the attack up well. It is no surprise that Glasgow are so solid with phases.

Barring any injuries in the warmup games, I think 26 of our squad picks itself. Reid/Grant, Jackson/Weir and 2 from Hamilton/Wilson/Ashe/Denton (depending on how many second and back rows VC will take) will be fighting it out. Dunbar/Vernon too but I can't see the former being fit with less than 2 and a half weeks until the squad is announced.

My 31 would be:

Dickinson, Reid, Nel, Welsh, Cusack

Ford, Brown, McInally

J Gray, R Gray, Gilchrist, Hamilton

Harley, Barclay, Cowan, Strauss, Ashe

Pyrgos, SHC, Laidlaw

Russell, Jackson

Horne, Scott, Bennett, Vernon

Seymour, Maitland, Lamont, Visser, Hogg

I still wouldn't neccessarily call them the worst 25 out of 40. There is a lot of guys who are stepping up for the first time or who are stepping up after a long spell out. Barclay is just one example of many. We've seen from Glsgow that they're capable of doing the job.

However, I would take Weir over Jackson any day of the week. Jackson can blow hot and cold too often. Weir is consistent more often than not.

I've been thoroughly impressed with Pyrgos and could be an international star for the future. Apart from his kicking, Laidlaw offers little else IMHO. Also, this will allow Ali Price to come onto a game for Glasgow, where he'll be supported by Mike Blair.

I still wouldn't neccessarily call them the worst 25 out of 40. There is a lot of guys who are stepping up for the first time or who are stepping up after a long spell out. Barclay is just one example of many. We've seen from Glsgow that they're capable of doing the job.

However, I would take Weir over Jackson any day of the week. Jackson can blow hot and cold too often. Weir is consistent more often than not.

I've been thoroughly impressed with Pyrgos and could be an international star for the future. Apart from his kicking, Laidlaw offers little else IMHO. Also, this will allow Ali Price to come onto a game for Glasgow, where he'll be supported by Mike Blair.

I personally dont think it is, but apart from Seymor I can actually see any of that 25 being in Cotter's first choice Scotland side - therefore out of the 40 (ish) man squad this leaves the last 25.

My first choice 15 would have be,

Dickinson, Brown, Grant

J Gray, R Gray,

Harley, Strauss, Cowan,

Cuister, Russell,

Dunbar Bennett

Seymour, Maitland, Hogg

Jackson playing at full back seems a strange one.

Yes and no.

I don't think he is a 10 at international level, but would be very useful as a secondary receiver. He is also an excellent broken field runner and counter attacker, which playing at full back will allow.

When you need a good squad for the RWC, having a guy like him covering a couple of positions could be very useful.

I'd have been surprised to see Seymour et al anywhere near this team. It's mostly fringe players and those who have been out of the international set-up for some time to show the gaffer what they can do. Basically, what Wales v Ireland was last w/e. However, IF I'm not mistaken, these games still go towards World Rugby rankings so we'd do no harm if we win lol.

All Blacks v Wallabies Bledisloe Cup decider about to kick-off in Auckland. Quade Cooper on at the start in a surprise move. Given this is Richie McCaw's 142nd appearance making him the most capped rugby union player and probably his last Test appearance at home can't see anything other than an All Blacks win.

Scotland go down 28-22to Ireland in Dublin, had the lead a few times with Cowan, Pyrgos and Horne scoring tries.

watched the 2nd half and for it being our 2nd choice XV it was not that bad a result.

ITM Cup is back. Enjoy watching these games especially when played at provincial grounds like the Eco Light Stadium in Pukekohe. Amazing banking, a mini forest at one end and people sitting on their verandahs watching the game from houses above the banking. Home side Counties-Manukau leading Manawatu 29-14 with 25 minutes left.