Eastenders....

4 minutes ago, RadgerTheBadger said:

Honey saying pussy gave me semi

Yes

4 minutes ago, RadgerTheBadger said:

Gillian Taylforth is an awful actress

Sharon is even worse. Dreadful character. That spiel about Phil and how much she loved him was vomit-inducing.

Just now, JamieStevenson said:

A feel good Christmas episode is the sort of shite I'd expect from other soaps. That was woeful.

Nothing woeful about big Phil living.

Last night's episode was a pile of steaming-hot garbage. Absolutely nothing happened, just dull conversation after dull conversation between some of the show's most irrelevant characters. Given that last year's Christmas special was a 10-on-10 banger, this was a major disappointment.

In some ways it reminded me of a WWE PPV where nothing happens until the final couple of minutes to just about convince you it was all worthwhile in the end. The return of Max Branning is hugely welcomed and I'll admit to cheering when I heard his voice. Branning is one of the best, most complicated personalities on the show and I'm really looking forward to seeing what he does next. Since Phil Mitchell's face turn in May (I think), EastEnders has lacked a real dastardly heel and a selfish, egregious Max Branning is exactly what we need. I'm also looking forward to the conclusion of Lee Carter's story arc. Lee seems to be quite an unpopular character on this thread and I agree he's dour and tedious but I'm not sure if he's being deliberately played like that. Regardless, his descent into petty theft to pay for a lifestyle he cannot afford and its subsequent unravelling is reasonably compelling.

But the last two minutes cannot make up for everything else that (didn't) happen. Martin Fowler's awful jacket. The power cut bringing everyone together. Cathy Beale. Donna. Roxy on the ching, wiping her nose as she comes out of the toilet. After about 15 minutes I was thinking to myself, "Is something going to happen here?" There really is nothing else to discuss because nothing else happened.

I think the worst aspect of the show and hitherto unexplored area was the blatant homophobia from Patrick and Denise towards Derek. Now, Derek is a dreadful character and one of television's ultimate betas, but the way Denise spoke about him, inferring that he wanted to fuck Patrick, was pretty distasteful. Chuck in the line about Dot's pussy and it could have been an episode of Are You Being Served.

The new EP has certainly toned the show down to make it more real life like since his work has been on screen. Hopefully something unexpected and dramatic happens soon to kick start his tenure.

Can't go Sharon at all, if I had a step parent that spoke to me the way she's spoken to Ben and especially Louise over the last few weeks I'd be livid. They get more attention than her own son ffs.

There were a couple of moments that admittedly raised a chuckle though. Billy (a funeral director) not being able to tell the difference between sleeping and dead and all the women frothing over Jack in the Vic kitchen. 

Phil Mitchell but. Long live the king.

A very decent Lee-centric episode this evening. Yeah, his character's pretty pathetic and there were far too many close-ups of his chubby face, but the episode did deal with his breakdown well and really brought into questions what it means to "be a man". The boy Oz is a dick but he called Lee out for what he was in the lift towards the end.

It's a damn shame we all know he's being written out of the show because tonight could well be the last time we ever see him.