Eastenders....

Steve McFadden's performance last night was genuinely one of the best I've ever seen in a soap opera. An absolute tour de force from start to finish (even if the ending, with his collapse in the school hall, was a little too neat for me). We all love seeing a shambling Phil Mitchell but this took into a different dimension - tonight had empathy and pathos in abundance.

It might be a crude comparison but McFadden's Mitchell reminds me a lot of James Gandolfini's Tony Soprano. By the end of The Sopranos, Gandolfini was so masterful in his role that all he needed to do was make a facial expression to convey a gamut of emotions, and McFadden's the same (although I can't imagine Hollywood knocking on his door just yet). He has a way of saying so much with one frown.

The finest moment of last night's show was his reunion with Peggy. It was wonderful - Phil slavering his heart out while his mother sat in anguish. Barbara Windsor deserves enormous praise for the way she handled that scene - she had one line at the end, brilliantly delivered, but every time she closed her eyes or looked away or cleared the lump in her through, it was excellent. A real lesson in "less is more" from a character who was never the master of restraint.

I would have preferred the episode to finish with Lou rejecting Phil's advances outright and leaving him to shuffle back to his car but I can understand the need to push forward his illness storyline. It's been a couple of weeks since he was diagnosed and I supposed it was only a matter of time before it needed advancing on. Regardless, the scene between Phil and Lou was excellent - a drunken shambles of a father, doing his best to see through the fog and reconnect with his "last chance", and his teenage daughter, confused, mortified and frustrated.

McFadden is surely in the running for a best actor award at whatever ceremony because he's been outstanding since his return to fold. Phil is always watchable when he's on the drink (or even better, when he's on crack) but this took it to another level and brought his character onto a plain I don't think I've seen before.

peggy snuffs it, even though she got her slow music walk through the market when she last fucked off, she now has to return to get another finale, albeit at least this is a fucking defo finale

be interesting to see where they take phils illness, mind lauren had something due to the booze, she simply fucked off for a few months and came back fresh and f**k, sober as f**k, and not a hint of illness, hopefully its not some magical cure for phil, would like to see something like he needs a transplant and it will be some family member that is a match,

Grant Mitchell is one of the most watchable characters in British TV history but I'm a little worried about how they handle his return - his comeback in 2005 (I think) was pretty muted and the only thing of note I remember was his affair with Jane Beale. He might have also been involved with the risible Moon brothers (remember them?!)

Anyway. More Mitchells, less nonsense with Kat Slater and Alfie Moon. They've been involved in some nonsense over the last year or so.

Charlie's Angels :lol:

Love big Phil.

That whole scene where he's trying to get served in the Vic ripping the pish out everyone was hilarious. Top man. It's been mentioned already, Steve McFadden deserves an award for his performance in the last few episodes. Potraits such a convincing alky.

Was half expecting the full Slater clan to walk into the Vic at some point considering the recent practice of bringing old characters back.

I appreciate it was Charlies funeral tonight and most of the screen time would be allocated to that but no Mitchell at all after recent events disappointed me.