Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

6 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Wick Academy 1-2 Formartine United 

When you're young and first realise there is a country full of football clubs many probably default to Ross County being furthest north. A wee bit of digging reveals that Elgin are the furthest north team in the SPFL. You then realise there is a while world beyond that and Wick Academy take the title of the most Northern team However since the pyramid was introduced they are only the fourth most Northern, Halkirk, Thurso and of course Orkney of the North Caley all denying Wick the crown that many think are their's. It's Wick however who take take most of the interest and why we are in the North this weekend. 

By a fluke of the fixtures this is the third time we've seen Wick in a month after their away games at Rothes and Huntly. Today we finally see them at home against Formartine who have made a 192 mile journey from Pitmidden in this regionalised league. Maybe something some of the central belt teams should remember when they've to go to Stranraer or Aberdeen. 

We stayed in Thurso last night and visited friends this morning. We arrived about two thirty to be greeted by a very pleasant person on the gate stunned that we had come all the way up from Fife to see his wee team. We were delighted to do so. 

Harmsworth Park is quite the place to watch football. It is positively encouraged that you watch the game from the comfort of your car. We didn't. After using crampons and an ice axe to get town to pitch level we found and basic yet very welcoming arena. Highland hospitality alive and well. 

All the goals are, unsurprisingly, scored going down the hill. Wick lead at half time in controversial circumstances. What looked like a clear push wasn't given and the Scorries led. Formartine rally and two late goals turns the game round and takes them down to Aberdeenshire very happy.

James Support Group were there today. A charity collecting to help bereaved families and people thinking about taking their own lives. The hosts events and meetings all over the Highland and I am more than happy to mention them. 

Wick Academy is a sight of football pilgrimage. It's not quite the end of the Earth like many people suggest but it's a long way from everywhere that isn't Brora but well worth taking the weekend to visit the Highland League's most Northern outpost.

20241005_150211.jpg

20241005_154357.jpg

20241005_154400.jpg

20241005_154621.jpg

20241005_162205(0).jpg

20241005_164732.jpg

I went up last year- the only ground I've been to with it's own pond:

wic47.thumb.jpg.d896ed06ee3ffc32cf2dc09c77ad6572.jpg

8 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Muirkirk 1 Knightswood 0 HT.

I’ve had a brilliant wee trip here to Muirkirk, somewhere I’ve whizzed through a few hundred times but barely ever stopped in.

I’ll remember this game. In all the football games I’ve been to, I’ve only ever met one macaw parrot. Meet Blaze, a handsome 15 year-old winger.

Nipping into the Coach House Inn before the game with a slight degree of trepidation, I was quickly welcomed in by the locals.  That’s a great pub, I’d be well chuffed to have that as my local.

The game has zipped along at a fair lick. Each team first in their respective divisions and both playing well.

Muirkirk took a slightly fortuitous lead just before HT with a deflected shot beating the goalie.

An excellent pie has sealed the verdict: Burnside Park is great football ground.

IMG_2992.jpeg

IMG_2994.jpeg

IMG_2996.jpeg

Remains of the old ground can be seen up the hill

I've been there once. There were a few midges..