Scottish Hip Hop

Breaking Decency

Great stuff GeeJay, I'll be checking those links out :)

By the way, Big Div is a Saints fan, think MarreZ went to school with him!

And a postman :lol:

Love All Time High and Loki, both are class. Got albums for each, you should of said Colin and id have given you a listen in my car ;)

And a postman :lol:

Love All Time High and Loki, both are class. Got albums for each, you should of said Colin and id have given you a listen in my car ;)

Haha, can you imagine the outcry if Shakey didn't get to listen to his Will Smith tunes :P

Guest DonGoodman
Just listening just now, not bad at all. Much poppier/rockier than the other stuff on this thread but can see there would be an audience for them.

Cheers Colin, thats my band. You're right, i wouldn't compare it to any Scottish hiphop stuff because thats not how we're trying to be. We're more of a band but aye I think the more hip hop stuff can be done with the Scottish accent if its done correctly. Some rappers can pull it off and some just can't. Then you get the Scottish rappers who rap in American accents, the scene really don't like that. Only folk i've played with or came across so far have been Damaged Goodz or Respek BA

Someone thats a bit more clued up than me might know more but Hydro is a guy that seems to be doing quite well just now. Is he actually from Scotland or the US? Had a song with Busta Rhymes.

UK hip hop in general is excellent I think. Its maybe a bit poppier than some but Example is brilliant in my opinion.

My band is called The LaFontaines for anyone that fancies a swatch by the way.

Edited by DonGoodman

Hydro is from Glasgow, and unbelievably has collab'd with L.E.S., Busta, NORE and Memphis Bleek among others.

He raps in a strong American accent, and gets neither respect nor recognition in the Scottish scene.

Cheers Colin, thats my band. You're right, i wouldn't compare it to any Scottish hiphop stuff because thats not how we're trying to be. We're more of a band but aye I think the more hip hop stuff can be done with the Scottish accent if its done correctly. Some rappers can pull it off and some just can't. Then you get the Scottish rappers who rap in American accents, the scene really don't like that. Only folk i've played with or came across so far have been Damaged Goodz or Respek BA

Someone thats a bit more clued up than me might know more but Hydro is a guy that seems to be doing quite well just now. Is he actually from Scotland or the US? Had a song with Busta Rhymes.

UK hip hop in general is excellent I think. Its maybe a bit poppier than some but Example is brilliant in my opinion.

My band is called The LaFontaines for anyone that fancies a swatch by the way.

Changed days from the "golden era" of UK hip hop then when the likes of Gunshot, Hijack. Demon Boyz, Hardnoise and London Posse were anything but pop music.

Guest DonGoodman
Hydro is from Glasgow, and unbelievably has collab'd with L.E.S., Busta, NORE and Memphis Bleek among others.

He raps in a strong American accent, and gets neither respect nor recognition in the Scottish scene.

Yeah I've heard a few of his songs, they didn't really interest me much. We were asked to play a show with him at some point but I don't think we'd fit in too well with all of that. Thing I wasn't sure about was whether he actually does have a Glasgow accent as he's supposedly from NYC is he not?

On the subject of rappers who tend to put on a bit of an accent, does anyone remember "Da Blingz" aka Gav Livs or something like that?

Diamond Gord - I wasn't describing all UK hip hop as poppier, that was a reference to the example of UK hip hop I linked...who confusingly enough for this sentance is called Example.

Edited by DonGoodman

Diamond Gord - I wasn't describing all UK hip hop as poppier, that was a reference to the example of UK hip hop I linked...who confusingly enough for this sentance is called Example.

I can't profess to know too much about the UK scene these days, so I wouldn't know if it was or wasn't poppier. I was just commenting that if poppier Hip hop was the trend then it was a bit of a departure from the past.

I will have a listen to Example's and your stuff though.

Hip-hop more or less IS pop music now though, there is a generation who have grown up with the likes of Eminem, Snoop, 50 Cent, Puff Daddy all big names. Even 2Pac and Biggie were massive on a pop level, not to mention folk like the Neptunes and Missy Elliott who are deliberately poppy (and probably all the better for it). Most if not all hip-hop at the time of Hijack and Demon Boyz was underground, it's inevitable that nowadays it'll have a poppier slant.

Hip-hop more or less IS pop music now though, there is a generation who have grown up with the likes of Eminem, Snoop, 50 Cent, Puff Daddy all big names. Even 2Pac and Biggie were massive on a pop level, not to mention folk like the Neptunes and Missy Elliott who are deliberately poppy (and probably all the better for it). Most if not all hip-hop at the time of Hijack and Demon Boyz was underground, it's inevitable that nowadays it'll have a poppier slant.

Ive never heard of any of them, then again i dont like hip-hop. :P

My flatmate and cousin are in a scottish hip hop/pop band that are doing really well just now and look like they could be destined for bigger things. Have a listen and see what you think.

www.myspace.com/thelafontainesmusic

ive forgotten how to make it a link.

I've ended up seeing them twice. They gigged with my mates band at BOX a while ago. The sound guy told me they were great to i was expecting big things. Didn't enjoy them. The singer kept eyeballing me!

Second time i seen them ( again at BOX ) I was absolutely pished. But they played a LOT better. Really enjoyed them that night, Although it's not my type of thing.

Once again the singer kept eyeballing me!

Edit-= Also, My friend used to go out with a guy who's friends with some Glaswegian rapper that's apparently doing quite well for himself.

Had a listen to him once and could barely contain my laughter. He's a Thistle fan, wonder if he posts on here?

Edited by Toma_BullyWee

• 3 years later...