Band Of Brothers

McMuffin

We're approaching the summer doldrums on TV. All the good shows end and the summer is a wasteland of soaps, Big Brother, old movies and Teen Mom. No thank you, sir. I have a Band of Brothers box set that has been calling to me for about 9 months. Haven't watched it in a few years and am getting the itch.

Just finished it again and also watched all the DVD extras. Documentary was great - really touching.

At the end I thought if the whole thing was a work of fiction it would have been unbelievable.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't think of a reason to watch The Pacific again.

It is to Band Of Brothers as The Phantom Menace is to A New Hope.

Pacific is not as good as Band of Brothers but it is still a good watch.

I am up to episode 9 (why we fight)and the scenes as they find the camp is just so touching and harrowing.

Pacific is not as good as Band of Brothers but it is still a good watch.

I am up to episode 9 (why we fight)and the scenes as they find the camp is just so touching and harrowing.

Yep. Unbelievably hard to watch. Probably the best episode of what must be one of the best things ever made.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm another one who saw the Pacific first and I think I will revisit that because some parts are horrific,however band of brothers is one if the great tv series and it also will be because it will only ever be one series. 10 fantastic episodes superbly produced and acted out by some of the finest unknown actors of that time. Having recently rewatched it you can find more to appreciate about it.

I'm another one who saw the Pacific first and I think I will revisit that because some parts are horrific,however band of brothers is one if the great tv series and it also will be because it will only ever be one series. 10 fantastic episodes superbly produced and acted out by some of the finest unknown actors of that time. Having recently rewatched it you can find more to appreciate about it.

Some of the one or two episode actors include some amount of now big names - James McAvoy , Simon Pegg , Jimmy Fallon , Michael Fassbender and Tom Hardy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Just rewatched my box set of this again for probably the 5th time.

Perconte: Hey, George.
Luz: Yeah?
Perconte: Kind of remind you of Bastogne?
Luz: Yeah, now that you mention it. Except, of course, there's no snow, we got warm grub in our bellies, and the trees aren't fucking exploding from Kraut artillery, but yeah... Frank... other than that, it's a lot like Bastogne.
Perconte: Right?

Also recently rewatched The Pacific. I know it sometimes gets some stick compared to Band of Brothers, but the scene where Eugene just collapses and breaks down in tears towards the end is still one of the most powerful scenes across both miniseries, in my opinion.

• 2 months later...
Just rewatched my box set of this again for probably the 5th time.

Perconte: Hey, George.
Luz: Yeah?
Perconte: Kind of remind you of Bastogne?
Luz: Yeah, now that you mention it. Except, of course, there's no snow, we got warm grub in our bellies, and the trees aren't fucking exploding from Kraut artillery, but yeah... Frank... other than that, it's a lot like Bastogne.
Perconte: Right?

Also recently rewatched The Pacific. I know it sometimes gets some stick compared to Band of Brothers, but the scene where Eugene just collapses and breaks down in tears towards the end is still one of the most powerful scenes across both miniseries, in my opinion.

Watched that one tonight, the “hit him for me, will ya” line straight after it always makes me smile. Of course what then follows is probably the most distressing and haunting television ever shown. The sheer despair in Liebgott’s face and the devastation in the prisoners after he has to give the announcement that they must stay in the camp for observation is utterly heartbreaking.

Watched it with the wife this week, first time in years I’d seen it and first time she had. It remains a masterpiece, and actually gets better with each watch. She actually struggled to watch it though as found it so emotional. Amazing programme.