Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran)

xbl

Despite this Israel has every right to defend its people and soil even from a threat that is extremely minimal. If Israel had gone into Gaza and secured 'buffer zones' that made the firing of these rockets into Israel ineffective I don't think there would be much to complain about. But that is not what Israel is doing. Israel is trying to destroy the entire infrastructure of Gaza, water supply, power stations, schools, housing and everything else...including it's people.

A problem with buffer zones is that Gaza is mostly around 4 miles wide. The rockets can go over 50 miles.

_76622247_gaza_shejaiya_624_latest.gif

The Palestinian rockets are home made in garages. The Palestinians know they probably won't make it through the missile shield and if they do they will probably land harmlessly and do next to no damage, particularly when fired at long range.

This is born out by the fact the 2 Israeli citizens and 1 non citizen have been killed by rockets fired from Gaza. Do the people firing these rockets have murderous intent? Perhaps, but these rockets aren't even really military grade weapons, there main purpose is as an act of defiance against an 'oppressor' and to provide some means of exerting psychological pressure on the Israelis.

Despite this Israel has every right to defend its people and soil even from a threat that is extremely minimal. If Israel had gone into Gaza and secured 'buffer zones' that made the firing of these rockets into Israel ineffective I don't think there would be much to complain about. But that is not what Israel is doing. Israel is trying to destroy the entire infrastructure of Gaza, water supply, power stations, schools, housing and everything else...including it's people.

What is happening in Gaza is one of the very worst examples of the strong destroying the weak in modern history. The disparity in the casualties speaks volumes, 600 Palestinians to every 1 Israeli civilian. Both sides have legitimate areas where they can point the finger of blame at each other but of those areas of blame you cannot possibly ascribe the same value to each side. The lack of proportionality from Israel is obscene to such a degree that in my opinion it constitutes a crime against humanity.

A rational, balanced, and utterly correct post.

Scottish Government has made a donation to the humanitarian fund for Gaza:

http://news.scotland.gov.uk/News/Funding-for-Gaza-f43.aspx

If anyone wanted a sense of an independent Scotland's foreign policy then this is it. What a contrast.

I processed the list to get the ages and got the following totals

126(20%) Under 20

229(36%) 20 to 30

147(23%) Over 30

126(20%) Age Not available

I've not broken it down by gender because I'd have to be able to quickly recognise Arabic names. And I've not got the demographic data for Northern Gaza to compare it with

But nonetheless it looks as if you may have read a misrepresentation of the data.

If the point you're making is that the killing isn't entirely indiscriminate then Al Jazera does indeed back your point but it's a pretty weak point.

Certainly a comparison with the list of Israeli dead shows that Hamas have managed to be a lot more Selectivein terms of hitting the Male 20-30 demographic

Bear in mind the average age in Gaza is 17...its mostly children there.

No, I see IDF horrible attacks, and I see Israeli kids as undeserving of being targeted randomly. What bit dont you get?

So if Hamas had the big money backing of the US to fund the technology to blow up stategic Israeli targets ...It be cool?

UN saying the warned Israel that a UN run shelter was still full of civilians and not to bomb it ...They bombed it anyway.

Israel attacked a UN-run school housing refugees in Gaza despite warnings that civilians were there, the UN has said.

UN spokesman Chris Gunness said "the world stands disgraced" by the attack, in which 15 died and dozens were hurt.

The Israeli military said an initial inquiry suggested soldiers responded to mortar fire. The military says it is now holding a partial, four-hour humanitarian ceasefire.

Some 1,200 Palestinians and 55 Israelis have been killed in the conflict.

Most of the Palestinian deaths have been civilians.

Eta..The NYT first then edited version of this..

http://newsdiffs.org/diff/629916/630097/www.nytimes.com/2014/07/31/world/middleeast/israel-gaza.html

Edited by THE KING

If anyone wanted a sense of an independent Scotland's foreign policy then this is it. What a contrast.

I welcome the donation from the Scottish Government, but I would like Salmond to come out and condemn the disproportionate Israeli actions. I know at present the Scottish Parliament does not have a Foreign Affairs remit but he could do it on behalf of the SNP.